Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

News again today that they're looking to roll out population wide testing that takes just a few minutes. 

Was thinking about how they might do testing at Glastonbury itself. If say you didn't have a test result when you arrived, or everyone has to get a 2nd negative result on arrival. 

The main stages aren't used until the Friday, what are the implications of them reconfiguring the layout of the site for testing? So when you arrive you're filtered into a mass testing spots in say John Peel field, acoustic field or even in front of the pyramid.

Probably have to create another internal fence and plan to set up the stages earlier if they know they can't do final bits that Wednesday, Thursday.

Edited by Leyrulion
Words

12 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

News again today that they're looking to roll out population wide testing that takes just a few minutes. 

Was thinking about how they might do testing at Glastonbury itself. If say you didn't have a test result when you arrived, or everyone has to get a 2nd negative result on arrival. 

The main stages aren't used until the Friday, what are the implications of them reconfiguring the layout of the site for testing? So when you arrive you're filtered into a mass testing spots in say John Peel field, acoustic field or even in front of the pyramid.

Probably have to create another internal fence and plan to set up the stages earlier if they know they can't do final bits that Wednesday, Thursday.

Its an intersting idea, but surly the damage would already be done at that point with reagrd to a large amount of people 'potentially' being positive coming together to take the test. 
It would be amazing if everyone got tested say two weeks before and then again on entering to make sure noones picked it up in-between.

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I’d reckon it would be more like you have to take 2 tests one a week before and one 2 days before the festival. If both are negative then the results would link to your registration and you go. 

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’d reckon it would be more like you have to take 2 tests one a week before and one 2 days before the festival. If both are negative then the results would link to your registration and you go. 

Yeah I do as well. Just wondering if they'd put a facility in for those that turn up without the necessary 2 tests to get a test instead of turning people away.

16 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

The thought of being tested so close and not being able to go is something I could not even think about!!! 

Based on 200,000 attending  with current infections of 1in 1700 having it that would mean 117 people about turning at the gate ... 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Based on 200,000 attending  with current infections of 1in 1700 having it that would mean 117 people about turning at the gate ... 

Plus the people they traveled there with, potentially 50 people on a coach. They would also have to have vast social distanced queue systems in place too to stop those infected passing it on in the queue. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Knowing my luck at the moment I would be that 1 in 1700!!! I’m waiting to go into hospital for an operation I’m already panicking it won’t be in time for me to be recovered for Glastonbury!!! I’m not having it done if I’m not well enough in time to go!!! To be tested as well I can’t think about it!! Let’s change the subject!!! 😱

Just now, funkychick2007 said:

Knowing my luck at the moment I would be that 1 in 1700!!! I’m waiting to go into hospital for an operation I’m already panicking it won’t be in time for me to be recovered for Glastonbury!!! I’m not having it done if I’m not well enough in time to go!!! To be tested as well I can’t think about it!! Let’s change the subject!!! 😱

I know what you mean about waiting for an operation date. I need to know when it’s going to be happening!

1 minute ago, funkychick2007 said:

Sorry @funkychick2007 :( good luck with the op ... is it soon ? Or are you waiting for a date ? 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I know what you mean about waiting for an operation date. I need to know when it’s going to be happening!

Apparently when this is all over I keep getting told!!! 
once I see the consultant they can do it pretty quickly!!! Hopefully!! 😬

Edited by funkychick2007
Added something!!

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

And how long is the recovery needed do you think ? 

2 to 3 months off work as my work involves being out and about and travelling working with children and young people!!! 
So the latest realistically is late March early April then there are the side effects afterwards!!! 
On a positive note we will all be back in the field in some way! I think it will look slightly different!! As I work at the festival I’m hoping we will start hearing things before Christmas!!! 
Another positive is tht it’s outside and the festival was compared to the amount of people on the beaches initially and there didn’t seem to much of a spike from that but I could be wrong as not very bright at understanding all the data  and scientific stuff! 

2 to 3 months off work as my work involves being out and about and travelling working with children and young people!!! 
So the latest realistically is late March early April then there are the side effects afterwards!!! 
On a positive note we will all be back in the field in some way! I think it will look slightly different!! As I work at the festival I’m hoping we will start hearing things before Christmas!!! 
Another positive is tht it’s outside and the festival was compared to the amount of people on the beaches initially and there didn’t seem to much of a spike from that but I could be wrong as not very bright at understanding all the data  and scientific stuff! 

All the best ... lets hope they can get it in soon ... some services are starting to resume I believe. 

Thank you!!! I’m just trying to keep focused on the positives!!! Or I just might go a bit a crazy!!! 
I’m off to meet with my Glastonbury Team at the weekend so will keep everyone updated on any news!!! We also support OceanFest which is based in Devon so I’m interested in what there 2021 plans are! 

Thank you!!! I’m just trying to keep focused on the positives!!! Or I just might go a bit a crazy!!! 
I’m off to meet with my Glastonbury Team at the weekend so will keep everyone updated on any news!!! We also support OceanFest which is based in Devon so I’m interested in what there 2021 plans are! 

I went crazy in 2010 when I joined ... I can confirm its overrated  :) 

Just being able to hear outside my window this morning has diminished any enthusiasm I had for any more outdoor comedy gigs sadly. 

That socially distanced Ibiza fest still seems to be going ahead in Kent on Saturday. Did consider it for a moment - but the forecast is awful all the way. Been a bad time to have a crap summer sadly for the promoters.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:17 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Interesting chat on 6music now with a lady from Green Man. When asked if they can survive until next year she said it would be really difficult without government support, and that government don't really understand festivals. From about 8.10 on Chris Hawkins show. Pretty sombre listen though :(

It’s becoming obvious that festivals of all sizes and genres are events which seem to be getting little or no government assistance.