Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think they probably will roll over, but I do actually agree with what you're saying. The more years it rolls over for, the more you just write off engaging any new blood. It sort of drops off the radar as something new people can get involved with. The festival does need to get new punters on board to keep going.

Full disclosure that I am ticketless and the thought of not being able to realistically get a ticket until 2023 starts to make me loss hope in ever going again. Like those who have tickets, the festival means a lot to me too and I have invested a lot emotionally in it.

Like I say though they probably will roll over. I was wrong about 2021!

Thing is we've no idea how much 'new blood' currently have tickets for next year. Equally, refunding tickets could piss them off and sour them on the festival.

• Upvote 1

I think this will always boil down to.... People who had 2020 tickets think it is reasonable that they should be rolled over for as long as is required, whereas people who missed out on tickets will become increasingly disenchanted as the years roll-on. Anyway lets just hope that 21 happens and we can all re-set for 2022!

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Thing is we've no idea how much 'new blood' currently have tickets for next year. Equally, refunding tickets could piss them off and sour them on the festival.

Good point. As I say they probably would roll over again, but I can see how doing it for two years is a bit different it one. It's sort of going above and beyond what they need to I reckon, which they might.

The more they roll over the more tickets will go back in the pot therefore enabling the new blood .... who knows what the pot might be in October (currently ) and April but I certainly won’t be writing off chances until June the 22nd ... basing it on work opportunities also and new blood will already have tickets ... potentially more than ever with the lure of the 50th 

Edited by crazyfool1

24 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I can't believe we are already thinking it might not happen next year, best to be pessimistic this time around, the blow hurt in March this year :(

Nah, tbh I'd rather have something to look forward to for next summer and then have it taken away.  The idea of writing it off in my head now means that next summer will be just as shite as this one, and not sure I can cope with that!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah, but they have to get creative as to how they want to reduce the amount of people that will be on the grounds while not taking any tickets from anyone that has already bought one.

No, they don't. Running at say 10-20% below capacity won't provide anywhere near enough scope for social distancing at busy & indoor areas to change how likely it was to go ahead, the only real difference is that it'd reduce income.

Realistically if there was a need to reduce numbers because of social distancing next year, even at one metre the capacity would need to be at least cut in half. At which point the festival has long since ceased to be viable without a fundamental redesign and rethink.

Either they can go ahead fully next year or they can't. I think, and I really hope, that we won't see any half baked attempt to try and run Glastonbury-lite.

• Upvote 1

Oh I agree, and Im not even implying that they had to implement distancing at all either. I was just pointing out the ways in which they could reduce the amount of people on site while not having to do anything rash. If they didnt sell more tickets thats better than doing nothing, isnt it? Theyve got to be weighing those types of things though, and I wasn’t even going to dip into the extreme end of what they could do in order to have the festival and not push it another year. We’re at a point where no idea is off the table anyway, so what harm is it to talk about it. We could just not take into consideration anything at all and then just scream our heads off when they do take a course of action and think its the wildest thing ever for them to have done. 

The 2021 London Marathon has just been moved from its usual slot in April to October - don’t know it that is a sign of things to come for mass events, or if they are just being extra cautious. But it is slightly concerning news ...

Edited by st dan

8 hours ago, sadimmock said:

I think this will always boil down to.... People who had 2020 tickets think it is reasonable that they should be rolled over for as long as is required, whereas people who missed out on tickets will become increasingly disenchanted as the years roll-on. Anyway lets just hope that 21 happens and we can all re-set for 2022!

Very much so.

Look at it from this point imagine having a ticket for the 50th, it gets cancelled, tickets rolled to next festival which is also cancelled, tickets go back into a pot for 2022 which you fail to get. How gutting would that be, as you had a ticket in the first place.

I have a ticket to be transparent. If next years gets cancelled (which it won’t) then they can keep my money as long as it takes for a festival to go ahead. 

18 minutes ago, st dan said:

The 2021 London Marathon has just been moved from its usual slot in April to October - don’t know it that is a sign of things to come for mass events, or if they are just being extra cautious. But it is slightly concerning news ...

To be honest, it's normally baking in April these days - regardless of the virus moving it to October seems like a smart idea

23 minutes ago, st dan said:

Looks like they are running away from the problem....

36 minutes ago, st dan said:

it will make training easier ... I would say.... my sister trained for april but never put in the effort as she never really thought october this year would happen ..... more breathing space for them 

16 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Very much so.

Look at it from this point imagine having a ticket for the 50th, it gets cancelled, tickets rolled to next festival which is also cancelled, tickets go back into a pot for 2022 which you fail to get. How gutting would that be, as you had a ticket in the first place.

I have a ticket to be transparent. If next years gets cancelled (which it won’t) then they can keep my money as long as it takes for a festival to go ahead. 

To be equally transparent I didn't get one! Anyway I just hope that there are some festivals next year. I have given up on Glastonbury (even if tickets do go back on sale in Oct or April we have no realistic chance of getting one), so I hope that there are some other events still standing!

17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

it will make training easier ... I would say.... my sister trained for april but never put in the effort as she never really thought october this year would happen ..... more breathing space for them 

I’m not sure it does make the training easier - An April marathon means you are doing the hard miles Jan-March when it’s cold but at least not too hot. Having it in October means you’ll be having to do the big runs in the middle of summer.

No thanks.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m not sure it does make the training easier - An April marathon means you are doing the hard miles Jan-March when it’s cold but at least not too hot. Having it in October means you’ll be having to do the big runs in the middle of summer.

No thanks.

In terms of knowing where you are was more my point ... training for a marathon that doesn’t happen ... and then having to reset and retrain for a later one ... you would still have to train for both dates April and then October ... when It didn’t happen for the former 

Just reading the posts about See tickets holding the deposits and it has me wondering about the state of their financing. 

They won’t be receiving any income at all while gigs and festivals aren’t happening. If they go under then what happens? Although I can’t imagine they have vast overheads so hopefully they have been able to keep costs down especially if their staff is being furloughed. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Just reading the posts about See tickets holding the deposits and it has me wondering about the state of their financing. 

They won’t be receiving any income at all while gigs and festivals aren’t happening. If they go under then what happens? Although I can’t imagine they have vast overheads so hopefully they have been able to keep costs down especially if their staff is being furloughed. 

I guess its just   wait and SEE 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Well they are putting 2021 tours onsale right now. HAIM went onsale today for example. See is getting income just not on as large of a scale as previously. Live Nation also, but with them its knowN how much cash they have on hand.

Edited by Suprefan