Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

11 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

That sounds right tbh. 

Even if it is held by SEE they'll still be able to get a cash advance on at least part of the amount held, right?

I was more getting at lines of credit based on ticket sales (so future income), though not sure how all that works especially with deposits involved

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Personally can't see their position on tickets rolling over changing, even with another postponement. The wording to me in the cancellation statement was quite clear that they value current ticket holders highly.

Quite.

Given that the deposits will be ~18 months old by the time any decision comes, and a precedent of sorts was set the first time, there'd be a far stronger case to roll peoples deposits over again than there was to do it originally.

Otherwise there'd be a lot of loud complaints along the lines of "you held onto my cash for over a year, promised me it'd roll over, and now I get nothing?" - and with a lot of justification. Whereas if they had just refunded first time around and cited the uncertainty, most would have just accepted that it was an unlucky situation. Now they've created an expectation and almost a perceived promise.

Regardless, I seriously doubt they'd take any decision on deposits until after they'd decided about the festival itself as the context of what's happening will have to play into it, and that decision isn't coming during this calendar year.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, incident said:

Given that the deposits will be ~18 months old by the time any decision comes, and a precedent of sorts was set the first time, there'd be a far stronger case to roll peoples deposits over again than there was to do it originally.

Otherwise there'd be a lot of loud complaints along the lines of "you held onto my cash for over a year, promised me it'd roll over, and now I get nothing?" - and with a lot of justification. Whereas if they had just refunded first time around and cited the uncertainty, most would have just accepted that it was an unlucky situation. Now they've created an expectation and almost a perceived promise.

Regardless, I seriously doubt they'd take any decision on deposits until after they'd decided about the festival itself as the context of what's happening will have to play into it, and that decision isn't coming during this calendar year.

Not just the deposits that are held, also the full cost of sticklinch and Worthy View accommodation.  Obviously I could see them extending the time limit to cancelling deposits but as you say, a precedent was set.  Refunding everyone would also incur admin costs. Anyway, I’m still hoping that this is all conjecture and we will be on the farm next June! 

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I have a feeling if they did have to reschedule again to 2022 that they wouldn't roll over the tickets again and the October 2021 ticket window would be a free for all again.

Take it back. Take it back now.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I have a feeling if they did have to reschedule again to 2022 that they wouldn't roll over the tickets again and the October 2021 ticket window would be a free for all again.

Why on earth would they do that? Of course the tickets would roll over, they already do for 2021, why would they upset an entire group of people who by the end of this may have waited 3 years to go to Glastonbury

3 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Why on earth would they do that? Of course the tickets would roll over, they already do for 2021, why would they upset an entire group of people who by the end of this may have waited 3 years to go to Glastonbury

My main thinking behind it was about them hanging on to peoples money for 2 years. I wouldn't care, but financially didn't know how that would work. I openly admit I have absolute no knowledge of how all that stuff works though.

I think they would still roll it over and there would be another group of people who would just take their deposits at that point. So there will be an even bigger lot of resale tickets. And even glamping options. 

it would be a whole other situation if we had all paid in full and they were holding the money for this long. But since its only £50, nobody is getting in a twist over it. 

the most difficult thing is international travellers. We cant just magically rebook a trip  and everything at the whim of the festival. 

Edited by Suprefan

7 hours ago, ModernMan said:

Personally can't see their position on tickets rolling over changing, even with another postponement. The wording to me in the cancellation statement was quite clear that they value current ticket holders highly. 

"We understand that it is not always easy to secure a Glastonbury ticket, which is why we would like to offer all those people the chance to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the opportunity to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2021"

If they decide to downsize the festival, then they might have to.

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If they decide to downsize the festival, then they might have to.

True but before that like company's going down sizing they may ask to see how many people want to wait any year longer.. You might find quite a lot of people will just want their money.. Times are hard after all 

Gutted tho 

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Thinking outside of Glastonbury, if 2021 is another write off - I thought I can't comprehend at the moment - I really fear for some of the smaller and fringe festivals. 

I could see a lot not being able to survive. 

Yep, and also enormous amount of people who have businesses who rely exclusively on festivals for their income,and if those businesses collapse they aren't there to supply events with their 'stuff' anymore. 

I know lots of people involved and they are worried. Most OK at the moment with the govt support but how long can that last?

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

deposits that SEE hold apparently ...... although ive only read that on this forum ... so need someone to confirm 

Even if See has deposit monies, Glasto still has all the campervan monies. Which is a fairly considerable sum.

Edit: Or do you think See has all that too? 

Edited by whitehorses
Realised I might not know wtf I was talking about

34 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Yep, and also enormous amount of people who have businesses who rely exclusively on festivals for their income,and if those businesses collapse they aren't there to supply events with their 'stuff' anymore. 

I know lots of people involved and they are worried. Most OK at the moment with the govt support but how long can that last?

It is so depressing... the impact goes so far beyond what is seen by the masses. The government support won't be indefinite, and then so much will start to fold. Even the 'bigger' festivals will struggle missing two years I imagine... especially more independent ones like Boomtown. I hope you're okay Sawdusty, take care.

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If they had to “reduce” capacity then theres a few things they can do. There is no resale at all, they cut back the sunday locals and maybe even cut back on how many children are allowed. 

I can’t see any of those things making too much of a dent in punter numbers to be honest.

I really want to try to be positive about this, but I'm starting to feel how I did around March time in that the resale definitely doesn't feel nailed on for October any more... Not saying the festival will be cancelled. But I'm not sure how confident I am about them bothering with an October resale now. 

6 hours ago, TownesMR said:

It feels different though. Rolling over for 2 years seems more of a stretch than just 1. 

I could see them saying "look, we've tried to do the right thing but it's just not fair to everyone else to just have 100k people perpetually having tickets and not really any chance of going. It's tough but you'll have to back into the main draw" What if it's a write off until 2024...

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

It feels different though. Rolling over for 2 years seems more of a stretch than just 1. 

I could see them saying "look, we've tried to do the right thing but it's just not fair to everyone else to just have 100k people perpetually having tickets and not really any chance of going. It's tough but you'll have to back into the main draw" What if it's a write off until 2024...

I think they probably will roll over, but I do actually agree with what you're saying. The more years it rolls over for, the more you just write off engaging any new blood. It sort of drops off the radar as something new people can get involved with. The festival does need to get new punters on board to keep going.

Full disclosure that I am ticketless and the thought of not being able to realistically get a ticket until 2023 starts to make me loss hope in ever going again. Like those who have tickets, the festival means a lot to me too and I have invested a lot emotionally in it.

Like I say though they probably will roll over. I was wrong about 2021!

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think they probably will roll over, but I do actually agree with what you're saying. The more years it rolls over for, the more you just write off engaging any new blood. It sort of drops off the radar as something new people can get involved with. The festival does need to get new punters on board to keep going.

That's a good point. In addition you are also telling committed go-ers that missed out on 20 tickets that it will be another year that they don't have any realistic chance of getting tickets. I fully supported rolling over 20 tickets to 21 (despite not having one), but I think that a two year roll-over might be a bit much. I can see a lot of long term customers going elsewhere if, in effect, they have no chance of going before 2023. 

I can't see any reason financially that there would be an issue for SEE or Glastonbury to hold on to people's money. It would just sit as a deposit/ other creditor on their balance sheet, they don't get any profit for it until they include it in their revenue, which they will have had to defer to next year now presumably. 

I can't believe we are already thinking it might not happen next year, best to be pessimistic this time around, the blow hurt in March this year :(