Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

going down like flies. :( 

Tranzmission will no longer have the opportunity to ...erm ... transmit the virus. 

https://tranzmission.london/

They all seem to be saying that they initially had support from the authorities but that things have changed. Is this basically because of Boris putting the brakes on last week? So they would have gone ahead without that?

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They all seem to be saying that they initially had support from the authorities but that things have changed. Is this basically because of Boris putting the brakes on last week? So they would have gone ahead without that?

could be. A council would look pretty foolish if it had let a festival go ahead and then shortly afterwards had to have a local lockdown.

But also I think organiser's are losing confidence in being able to go ahead. Cancelling now is probably financially crippling, but having to cancel the day before would probably be a definite killer blow.

It definitely feels like there's been a shift change in the last week or so, in general. 

I think I mentioned before that my work was due to re-open the offices on 1st September, albeit asking people to still work around 3 days from home. An update was due to come out about it on Monday, then on Thursday last week the government here announced more guidelines that encouraged people who could work from home to do so until the end of the year (mainly to avoid public transport getting busy again). Everything's suddenly gone quiet on the office re-opening which makes me think they've had a re-think. 

It feels like any positivity that appeared around the beginning of July is being chipped away, particularly by the resurgences in countries like Germany, Spain and Australia. 

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It definitely feels like there's been a shift change in the last week or so, in general. 

I agree, so many people are being scared by these new threats of second waves and consequently a lot of people are avoiding going out, my brother works at a trampoline park which reopened recently but they’re struggling since Boris started ‘squeezing the brakes’ so a lot of confidence has disappeared and I think a lot of places are desperate to avoid a local lockdown as well, I suppose these festivals aren’t worth the risk 

Johnson kind of backed himself into a corner with it - he was so bullish that everything would be back to normal by Xmas that now he's having to 'squeeze the brakes' people are going to panic more. If he'd just been more realistic with it then people wouldn't be panicking so much as it would have appeared part of the plan as it were. 

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That’s what I got from the statement on their site. It’s either that or a well timed excuse?

2 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

Johnson kind of backed himself into a corner with it - he was so bullish that everything would be back to normal by Xmas that now he's having to 'squeeze the brakes' people are going to panic more. If he'd just been more realistic with it then people wouldn't be panicking so much as it would have appeared part of the plan as it were. 

This is the problem with Boris. He has the big investors and land owners whispering in his ear to get people back into the office otherwise their investments will go down. 

He listens too much to the property investors who just want to sit back, collect rent and profits. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

This is the problem with Boris. He has the big investors and land owners whispering in his ear to get people back into the office otherwise their investments will go down. 

He listens too much to the property investors who just want to sit back, collect rent and profits. 

and tim wetherspoon , and dido harding , and .... the list will go on and on of those who are lobbying for their industries to get back open 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They usually announce the sale date in mid-September so they’ve about six weeks to wait and see how things pan out.

Indeed and if we get that ... I take it as a positive sign for things going forward .... if not it’s squeaky bum time ... 

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can’t see a ticket sale taking place in October in the current climate.

Actually thought similar myself earlier on. Can't see why they would when there would be so much uncertainty about whether the festival will actually happen in 2021.

I have a feeling if they did have to reschedule again to 2022 that they wouldn't roll over the tickets again and the October 2021 ticket window would be a free for all again.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

My bet is that there will be no sale and the festival will take a “wait and see” approach with one big sale next April.

Yep and seeing that see hold the deposits doesn’t give them the incentive for banking the money ... that’s a logical thought ... I’m trying to think of reasons they would hold the October sale ... worries about the sell out due to the economy and jobs I guess would be a big one ... 2 sales and the promotion of both gives them a better chance of selling out 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep and seeing that see hold the deposits doesn’t give them the incentive for banking the money ... that’s a logical thought ... I’m trying to think of reasons they would hold the October sale ... worries about the sell out due to the economy and jobs I guess would be a big one ... 2 sales and the promotion of both gives them a better chance of selling out 

If people are still given the chance to give back their tickets in September and a fair number do, could some of Glastonbury's advance finances used to pay for things before April be secured against ticket sales? So if the decision isnt completely made to cancel by October they may need to plug that gap? Pure speculation! 

Edit but i guess they are still deposits

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Actually thought similar myself earlier on. Can't see why they would when there would be so much uncertainty about whether the festival will actually happen in 2021.

I have a feeling if they did have to reschedule again to 2022 that they wouldn't roll over the tickets again and the October 2021 ticket window would be a free for all again.

Personally can't see their position on tickets rolling over changing, even with another postponement. The wording to me in the cancellation statement was quite clear that they value current ticket holders highly. 

"We understand that it is not always easy to secure a Glastonbury ticket, which is why we would like to offer all those people the chance to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the opportunity to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2021"

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If people are still given the chance to give back their tickets in September and a fair number do, could some of Glastonbury's advance finances used to pay for things before April be secured against ticket sales? So if the decision isnt completely made to cancel by October they may need to plug that gap? Pure speculation! 

Edit but i guess they are still deposits

deposits that SEE hold apparently ...... although ive only read that on this forum ... so need someone to confirm