Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

11 hours ago, Homer said:

Two more years to wait? As someone who is 44, I feel a bit like a Premiership footballer who is nearing the end of their career and is wasting it on the bench. I may only have a few more Glastonbury years left in me and I'm wasting them on repeat fallow years!

I’m glad in a way I attended my first festival in 2016 at the age of 47. Keeps the fire in my belly to attend more ,tickets permitting obviously.

11 hours ago, Homer said:

Two more years to wait? As someone who is 44, I feel a bit like a Premiership footballer who is nearing the end of their career and is wasting it on the bench. I may only have a few more Glastonbury years left in me and I'm wasting them on repeat fallow years!

Just realised we’ve now had three fallows in the last eight years! (2012, 2018 & 2020)

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Right now I’m not confident at all for next year. Until there’s a vaccination program in place I simply cannot see how any mass gatherings can be allowed.

Still plenty of time for things to change though.

I’m kind of in the same boat. The only alternative I can see that would free things up a bit would be some sort of rapid testing that was accurate, cheap and widely available so everyone could be tested regularly for the purposes of international travel and gatherings like festivals etc. 

Its typical that the first year i finally get tickets that my luck is against me and i suspect that in 2022 i will have some engagement that will require me to choose.

I really cant see how anyone can defend this governments management of this virus and anything but a dismal failure but there will be those cheerleaders who will defend them to the end. 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

This is interesting: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/gigs-clubs/leeds-festival-2021-happening-benn-18711640

Looks like Glastonbury are keen to team up to deliver this too.

Wonder how many would book two weeks off in the lead up to the festival and isolate at home to ensure they will be virus free and can get in?

39 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Wonder how many would book two weeks off in the lead up to the festival and isolate at home to ensure they will be virus free and can get in?

I couldn't ..... so that would be me out ... probably with my holiday allowance making it impossible ...... that rules out so many people that dont wfh ... surely tickets wouldn't sell if that were the case 

35 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's interesting to speculate how a contact and trace app and/or self-quarantine would work for international attendees. It feels to me like the automatic answer is "it wouldn't" and therefore this would be (sadly, ironically) a very fitting post-Brexit festival season where no non-UK visitors were allowed. Of course the issue is it also wouldn't work for the actual artists and their teams, many of whom are coming from other countries. So maybe not the same rules for them?

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Socially distanced all-day dance fest/s going ahead (apparently) in Maidstone.

Basically putting people in pods of six that they can only leave to go to the toilet. Seems to be like the car events but without cars.

https://www.revivalfestuk.com/event

God it just seems so dystopian.

2 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

I really feel like there's going to be so many ways people do or try to game the system with this.

Unless they force you to get tested only by one place and place security measures in that cannot be forged. Lets say you are required to be tested 72 hours before the fest, you go to the testing clinic theyve chosen, you get your test and they wristband you after. Each wristband has rfid thats tied to you and only you. Your results will be available the next day and you go to the festvial. they obviously have to check your ticket thats its you, and scan your rfid thats also you. Cant get in without either being legitimate.

and I think theyll have to suspend the EPO this time.

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Unless they force you to get tested only by one place and place security measures in that cannot be forged. Lets say you are required to be tested 72 hours before the fest, you go to the testing clinic theyve chosen, you get your test and they wristband you after. Each wristband has rfid thats tied to you and only you. Your results will be available the next day and you go to the festvial. they obviously have to check your ticket thats its you, and scan your rfid thats also you. Cant get in without either being legitimate.

and I think theyll have to suspend the EPO this time.

Yeah, wouldn't be a bad shout. Obvioulsy wouldn't be ideal for people who don't live near a major city etc - could even make the registration thing into the theme for Shangri-La! 

1 hour ago, topmarksbri said:

Yeah, wouldn't be a bad shout. Obvioulsy wouldn't be ideal for people who don't live near a major city etc - could even make the registration thing into the theme for Shangri-La! 

Its something at least. I imagine theyve got time to sort it out. And I would presume that they do understand not everyone would be able to go to one place to get tested either. And I guess I shouldve not said place and used company. They could set up sites around the country and you would have to make do with that depending on where you lived. Of course international attendees will have a little bit of a different experience as it depends on the country of origin. Another obstacle of course is children since they are the number that is not calculated with the number of tickets sold. Wonder how many parents that go to Glasto are anti mask/testing/vaccine. 

9 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Unless you're really heavily public facing aren't you unlikely to get it from work. Especially if they're "covid secure". 

The main risk would be nights out and other crowded places in advance, I think most people would be willing to give those up 2 weeks beforehand.

16 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

This is interesting: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/gigs-clubs/leeds-festival-2021-happening-benn-18711640

Looks like Glastonbury are keen to team up to deliver this too.

can you not see the fatal flaw in what Melvin is saying...?

Benn told the Guardian: “I’m 100% confident about next year, literally 100%, because the government will successfully....