Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

poor from nme ... just repeating the itv news article .... thats what we get these days unfortunately :( 

In fairness its their job to report on important music news like this - will get it in front of the right audience too as I doubt many are tuned into ITV West Country 😉 

3 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

In fairness its their job to report on important music news like this - will get it in front of the right audience too as I doubt many are tuned into ITV West Country 😉 

I suppose so ... I’ll stand down ... just wish these places conducted their own interviews ..

3 hours ago, zeppelin said:

I can barely make heads or tails of what he says. Can you give a summary? 

He's not sure about next year, but will "move heaven and earth" to make it happen, but admits there's some "wishful thinking" at play. 

He's very relaxed about the long term future of the festival and thinks 2022 is a dead cert, no doubt at all.

The NME really isn't what it used to be generally it it? And I say that as someone who thought it was pretty crap in the 90s.

Read an NME article last week about Peter Hook that also referred to Stephen as being the bass player in New Order (?!).

Article's thrust was also that New Order had finally started playing Joy Division songs live (they played two when I saw them on the Pyramid 15 years ago).

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Two more years to wait? As someone who is 44, I feel a bit like a Premiership footballer who is nearing the end of their career and is wasting it on the bench. I may only have a few more Glastonbury years left in me and I'm wasting them on repeat fallow years!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Two more years to wait? As someone who is 44, I feel a bit like a Premiership footballer who is nearing the end of their career and is wasting it on the bench. I may only have a few more Glastonbury years left in me and I'm wasting them on repeat fallow years!

+1 😂

5 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Other festivals don't have the infrastructure Glastonbury have to build, Glastonbury will be already paying for people to plan next years festival so how close can there leave it.

I would think Glastonbury would want to make a choice quicker then this year.

Ask EDC to hold your beer. Glasto isn’t building a 400+ foot wide stage are they?  and you need to realize other festivals have been able to create permanent infrastructure so it lessens the need to have to start so early in building things. Yeah, Glasto has to build a city within a city but lets say the fence was permanent, then they wouldnt be there in March, im sure they wouldnt start til May if that was the case. 

8 hours ago, Homer said:

Exactly. I've already had to deal with a loss of pace and movement and adapt my game to suit. Not to mention I'm regularly subbed off between midnight and 3am unable to last until full time. By 2022 I might already have already been forced to hang up my walking boots and take a cushy commentating job from the comfort of the studio (my house). 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Exactly. I've already had to deal with a loss of pace and movement and adapt my game to suit. Not to mention I'm regularly subbed off between midnight and 3am unable to last until full time. By 2022 I might already have already been forced to hang up my walking boots and take a cushy commentating job from the comfort of the studio (my house). 

I suppose there's always the option of sloping off to America and slumming it at one of those cushy American 'festivals' (might give China a swerve though).

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Personally I don't think there is anything to freak out about. Next year is uncertain. We all know that. Doesn't mean that it won't happen and hopefully it will, but he'd be foolish to say he was certain at this point I think.

I agree, he can't promise everything will be fine and dandy and it will definitely go ahead but then he can't just be defeatist and cancel it now without knowing what the future holds - my hope is that the majority of festivals will happen next year in some capacity or another but with some mitigations in place 

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Personally I don't think there is anything to freak out about. Next year is uncertain. We all know that. Doesn't mean that it won't happen and hopefully it will, but he'd be foolish to say he was certain at this point I think.

It does make me wonder about line up announcements though. There might not be much appetite to announce any acts, even if they're signed up, until the festival are confident its going ahead. Which realistically won't be until next spring :(

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It does make me wonder about line up announcements though. There might not be much appetite to announce any acts, even if they're signed up, until the festival are confident its going ahead. Which realistically won't be until next spring :(

I presume a fair chunk will roll over? We don't get the full line-up much before that anyway do we? Of course there may be a lot fewer US bands, which might mean a full change of headliners. No idea if Macca will stick around.

I'm currently ticketless so line-up is low down on my priority list personally! Not really followed it thus far. What are people's thoughts on how much of it will get rebooked? Blue Dot for example has said most of theirs will be the same (I know a much smaller affair).

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I presume a fair chunk will roll over? We don't get the full line-up much before that anyway do we? Of course there may be a lot fewer US bands, which might mean a full change of headliners. No idea if Macca will stick around.

I'm currently ticketless so line-up is low down on my priority list personally! Not really followed it thus far. What are people's thoughts on how much of it will get rebooked? Blue Dot for example has said most of theirs will be the same (I know a much smaller affair).

I think the general consensus is that this year's acts have been offered the same spot for next year and most will take it. The big issues look to be at the top of the Pyramid with the fella Ken, who tends to have solid info about European festivals, saying that neither Kendrick or Swifty have made plans to reschedule as yet. Macca is looking a bit more positive (couple of clues point to it, he mentioned 'postponing' his Glastonbury appearance on the Howard Stern show - rather than outright cancelling - and his daughter made a social media post about him coming back next year).

Sub wise; Lana Del Rey looks like she's not around next summer and there was some info the Noel G was also planning a year off from touring (although that might be this year now!), and we never worked out who the third sub was for this year so all 6 places are still up in the air. So we could be in a position where the vast majority of the card rolls over but from a first poster POV it looks very different (across those top two rows).

29 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think the general consensus is that this year's acts have been offered the same spot for next year and most will take it. The big issues look to be at the top of the Pyramid with the fella Ken, who tends to have solid info about European festivals, saying that neither Kendrick or Swifty have made plans to reschedule as yet. Macca is looking a bit more positive (couple of clues point to it, he mentioned 'postponing' his Glastonbury appearance on the Howard Stern show - rather than outright cancelling - and his daughter made a social media post about him coming back next year).

Sub wise; Lana Del Rey looks like she's not around next summer and there was some info the Noel G was also planning a year off from touring (although that might be this year now!), and we never worked out who the third sub was for this year so all 6 places are still up in the air. So we could be in a position where the vast majority of the card rolls over but from a first poster POV it looks very different (across those top two rows).

Ah interesting. Thanks! I actually only gave the line-up a very cursory glance at the time as was so sure by then it wasn't happening!

31 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah interesting. Thanks! I actually only gave the line-up a very cursory glance at the time as was so sure by then it wasn't happening!

Haha yeah. I only realised how good the lineup was meant to be over actually Glastonbury weekend when my Dad kept putting on tracks by artists playing. 

When it was initially announced I found it impossible to get excited and barely looked because it seemed so unlikely to happen! 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think the major issue will be people being concerned about international travel. If a smaller festival happened here with majority British acts then I think it would be more likely to happen instead of a huge international event such as the Olympics or aforementioned international festival