Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

3 hours ago, zeppelin said:

At the end of the day they have to plan for it happening and carry on as much as usual whilst simultaneously planning for:

- the various restrictions they might have to put in place; and unfortunately, 

- it not being able to happen at all.

So I still think we'll get a resale in October. With a decision in March as to whether it goes ahead (unless the government outright say something before then).

The number of iterations of different restrictions must be chaotic. Which in part is why I think it only happens in all it's glory, or not at all.

How they safeguard the festival for the future is really the key one. I do fear that if it doesn't happen we never get Glastonbury again. 

I imagine it'd take about a day of crowdfunding to save the festival to be honest

Wouldn't any October re-sale be dependent on their finances? If say 25% have returned they'll need the October sale to give them capital to fund any outlay before ticket balances come through in April. 

If it's like 5% returned they can probably get by on credit until April so no need for a ticket sale.

9 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Wouldn't any October re-sale be dependent on their finances? If say 25% have returned they'll need the October sale to give them capital to fund any outlay before ticket balances come through in April. 

If it's like 5% returned they can probably get by on credit until April so no need for a ticket sale.

apparently the deposits are held by see and dont get as far as the festival until after the balance is paid ... ? 

2 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I imagine it'd take about a day of crowdfunding to save the festival to be honest

Apart from that, I'm sure they could raise investment fairly easily. If the worst came to the worst, they could go a few years with reduced charity payments and pay back any bailout in reasonably short order. The business is very sound.

Yeah I don’t think this is any new development. It is in doubt as things stand, every event is, that’s just how things are currently. He’s not going to say it’s definitely on, as he’s being honest and trying to temper expectations. It really isn’t anything new so please try not to worry (although I know that’s difficult).

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I don’t think this is any new development. It is in doubt as things stand, every event is, that’s just how things are currently. He’s not going to say it’s definitely on, as he’s being honest and trying to temper expectations. It really isn’t anything new so please try not to worry (although I know that’s difficult).

Obviously some festivals immediately went in and rescheduled and announced their plans, but a lot of festivals have remained totally silent. I wonder if some have a strong suspicion that there is a chance 2021 can be cancelled too and some more serious conversations about whether to plan the festival at all are being had.

Its August and the months are rolling by. If it gets to December / Jan and we are in the same situation most festivals will probably be forced to cancel prematurely.

The window is much shorter than it appears.

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Obviously some festivals immediately went in and rescheduled and announced their plans, but a lot of festivals have remained totally silent. I wonder if some have a strong suspicion that there is a chance 2021 can be cancelled too and some more serious conversations about whether to plan the festival at all are being had.

Its August and the months are rolling by. If it gets to December / Jan and we are in the same situation most festivals will probably be forced to cancel prematurely.

I don’t disagree with that but the major festivals have pretty much all rescheduled and set dates for next year.

Think about it this way, what else could he say? He can’t say it’s definitely on and he can’t say it probably won’t happen. 

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well if you want to see the extent one festival went to try and keep their event for the fall, EDC in las vegas was looking into a testing kit for all attendees and it just couldnt be pulled off. They moved to May 2021, and who knows if they consider that again. But it might be an avenue being explored if a festival that has similar capacity and size was working on that. There isnt anything in the covid handbook for live events that says they couldnt attempt this either. If they are exceeding the governments criteria thats actually even better.

1D308F32-A58B-4EFD-9840-B88F9350BC4B.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

10 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Other festivals don't have the infrastructure Glastonbury have to build, Glastonbury will be already paying for people to plan next years festival so how close can there leave it.

I would think Glastonbury would want to make a choice quicker then this year.

What is happening with next year’s coachella? I guess that’s somewhat comparable, although situation in the US is much worse than the UK but was wondering if they were planning on pressing ahead in April 2021 at the moment?

25 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

What is happening with next year’s coachella? I guess that’s somewhat comparable, although situation in the US is much worse than the UK but was wondering if they were planning on pressing ahead in April 2021 at the moment?

Sure they moved it till the end of 2021

17 minutes ago, sisco said:

Sure they moved it till the end of 2021

No, April 2021, back to when it originally happens. Coachella starts their build at the beginning of April since thats when Polo season ends. They set everything up in 10 days pretty much. Majority of the infrastructure is in place now permanently so there isnt a need to build a fence for example.  Theyve just been improving the land it happens on almost every year. And then take into account that they then turn around the Coachella set up and have Stagecoach 5 days after the second weekend if Coachella. Thats a country festival and they have to break down 2 of the major stages so they can put the one main stage they have for it in place. The other tents get repurposed for the festival on top of that. Remember these are the people that were able to build Kanye West a mountain in 3 days in between weekends. Although that build time is really for the music,  the art is worked on way before that. Theyve set up areas on the grounds for the artists that create the large installations to work on their pieces way ahead if time, but thats it.

In terms of a  time consuming build and such of large scale, EDC starts their build 6 weeks out or so. 

47 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

poor from nme ... just repeating the itv news article .... thats what we get these days unfortunately :( 

I couldn’t get what he was saying on your recording though so thanks NME for the transcript! Shitty journalism useful on this occasion 😜