Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

16 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

That was one where the lunatics really did take over the asylum.

I loved the way the old bill had a really heavy presence with everyone searched on the main lane in, but that there was a track from the campsite to village - where a friend of mine's (parents) holiday cottage was stuffed full of illicits, with a nice stroll onto site with the main stash kept safe. :lol: 

I think I only spent a few hours in the arena, having blagged myself in somehow.

It was a completely mental event even by the standard of those times.

yeah, last of the really wild ones I went to.

The only one after that that was in any was comparable was the last Harvest Fayre run by a chap called Chris Pace, a really sound bloke. The police had a huge media campaign to warn people not to go so ticket sales were v poor and the security buggered off due to lack of wages. This resulted in what was then the remains of the convoy along with every other blagger and  ne'er-do-well from south of Newcastle turning up and getting in for free. It was ace!

that's off my radar. Where was that?

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

that's off my radar. Where was that?

It was outside Haverfordwest in '96. That was the first time that The Groovy Movie Picture House did anything, was just a screen on the side of a live in lorry umder a tarp.

Previously it had been held in Cilgerren and was a lovely event. 

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

the first (that i've seen, anyway) 2021 festival has been cancelled, due to take place in May. :( 

It is with deep regret and a heavy heart that I write this email.  We live in changing times, with more information available as to events being cancelled through to the first quarter of 2021, we have to act for the safety and well being of all.

Ireby Festival 2021

With the continuing uncertainty surrounding the pandemic and its predicted existence in the UK well into 2021, Ireby Festival Committee have discussed the situation regarding Covid19.

With great sadness, due to prevailing and predicted conditions, the decision has been taken to postpone the Ireby Festival scheduled for May 2021. 

In reaching this decision the Committee have taken into consideration the Government statements as to the possibility of a second wave of the pandemic as well as the statements given regarding gatherings in confined spaces, such as the festival marquee.  Government guidance is that mass gatherings should not take place.  We note that other events taking place in Cumbria during the remainder of 2020 have been cancelled.  Cumbria Constabulary will not give consent for festivals for the foreseeable future.  Other indications are that large gatherings scheduled for the first quarter of 2021 have been postponed until the summer.

The safety of artists, visitors, volunteers and the community in and around Ireby, remains our first priority. In addition, individual concerns over personal health & safety will no doubt impact the sale of festival tickets during the critical period that commences in September 2020.  The festival would, in the normal event, be largely sold out by the end of December. The uncertainty this causes exposes the festival to serious financial risk should ticket sales not achieve expected levels.

As a festival we take seriously our obligations to ticket holders and artists alike, we have not taken the decision lightly but feel we have little choice in the postponement.

We would like to welcome all festival goers on 27 & 28 May 2022.

I cant even bring myself to think about it..

It's been shit this year but telling myself 'it's just one year and everything that's been cancelled has been rescheduled for next year.. so next year will be great' has kept me going. But honestly if next year is gonna be the same that's going to be really sad :( 

IF that's the case, and things aren't looking likey to go ahead again next year, do we think tickets would roll over again?? (I know its impossible to know, but just as a guess?..)

13 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I cant even bring myself to think about it..

It's been shit this year but telling myself 'it's just one year and everything that's been cancelled has been rescheduled for next year.. so next year will be great' has kept me going. But honestly if next year is gonna be the same that's going to be really sad :( 

IF that's the case, and things aren't looking likey to go ahead again next year, do we think tickets would roll over again?? (I know its impossible to know, but just as a guess?..)

Makes me feel ill too. 

If it’s still looking like this I’d be amazed if there’s a ticket resale.  As for tickets rolling over, I’d be surprised if they’d want to hold onto everyone’s money that long (me being very pessimistic). 

Its a selfish point of view I know, but the way the beaches are at the moment I’m not sure what difference a festival is and I’d most certainly go whatever the situation! Mostly open air (maybe make more things open air and not have as many tents for a year) and improve cleaning facilities with more hand sanitiser about.  If there is the possibility of having a test in the run up then make people do that too but please dear god don’t let it be cancelled again.

After reading that cancellation above I was thinking about the October resale as well. I guess there isn't much to lose in holding it if people know there is no guarantee of anything at this stage? It seems that Cumbria festival is partly cancelling because it can't raise the funds far enough out, but as ticket money is in hand Glastonbury won't have that particular issue. And selling more tickets in October would surely only help further.

What makes me a little nervous is that we are about two months out from the resale but they've given no date :(

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Makes me feel ill too. 

If it’s still looking like this I’d be amazed if there’s a ticket resale.  As for tickets rolling over, I’d be surprised if they’d want to hold onto everyone’s money that long (me being very pessimistic). 

Its a selfish point of view I know, but the way the beaches are at the moment I’m not sure what difference a festival is and I’d most certainly go whatever the situation! Mostly open air (maybe make more things open air and not have as many tents for a year) and improve cleaning facilities with more hand sanitiser about.  If there is the possibility of having a test in the run up then make people do that too but please dear god don’t let it be cancelled again.

Part of me agrees, it's a long time to hold onto people's money, but on the other hand at least they know they have X amount of people who didn't request refunds. Saying that, its Glastonbury and it sells out anyway so that's probably not a concern for them..

AHhhhh I cant think about it. Its awful innit!? Like you tho, I'd go in a heartbeat if its on next year!! Fingers crossed it will!

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What makes me a little nervous is that we are about two months out from the resale but they've given no date :(

The deadline to request a refund is middle of September, I want to say the 14th? but I might be wrong.. So it may be they announce the date after that?

I was wondering the other day when we usually get the October T-day announcement but its not on The Thingy, only the April resale announcement dates

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I wouldn’t worry too much. I just had a quick look through emails and there is normally an email send out a couple of weeks before the sale in late September with dates for the festival, prices and ticket sale dates. 

keep the faith!

Cool thanks guys. I guess it's conceivable that they are waiting to see how many returns they get before they decide even have the resale? I.e. in the unlikely event of no cancellations at all they might not bother. If the cancellation date is the 15th September that doesn't leave long to announce the sale. But I suppose that only benefits the hard-core among us.

I can still see an October sale going ahead but pretty much everyone I speak to now thinks that festivals can’t come back without a vaccine. No one I know is buying tickets for anything because it’s been pretty clear that live music events will be the last to come back.

I think they’ll have the sale as it won’t harm them, and then they will also have deposits for 2021 rather than 2020. The money will be useful and there are more than enough people willing to take a gamble. 

I do think it’s in doubt for next year definitely but I’m erring on the side of it being alright. So much has happened and changed within the six months of this starting, we can’t imagine where we will be in another six months. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

After reading that cancellation above I was thinking about the October resale as well. I guess there isn't much to lose in holding it if people know there is no guarantee of anything at this stage? It seems that Cumbria festival is partly cancelling because it can't raise the funds far enough out, but as ticket money is in hand Glastonbury won't have that particular issue. And selling more tickets in October would surely only help further.

I suspect the resale may be on the traditional resale date, rather than the main sale date.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

What do you mean? No October sale? They've suggested there will be one at the moment. 

Have they? Oh, ok then. I was imagining they might need a bit more time to see how well we're keeping a lid of things+ how vaccine roll outs are going. October is probably the very earliest we could see a vaccine being deployed. I don't think we'll really know if it's on until next year, although I think it is.

At the end of the day they have to plan for it happening and carry on as much as usual whilst simultaneously planning for:

- the various restrictions they might have to put in place; and unfortunately, 

- it not being able to happen at all.

So I still think we'll get a resale in October. With a decision in March as to whether it goes ahead (unless the government outright say something before then).

The number of iterations of different restrictions must be chaotic. Which in part is why I think it only happens in all it's glory, or not at all.

How they safeguard the festival for the future is really the key one. I do fear that if it doesn't happen we never get Glastonbury again. 

51 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have they? Oh, ok then. I was imagining they might need a bit more time to see how well we're keeping a lid of things+ how vaccine roll outs are going. October is probably the very earliest we could see a vaccine being deployed. I don't think we'll really know if it's on until next year, although I think it is.

This is what is says on the website currently:

However just as we were due to have a resale in April for the 2020 Festival, any tickets for which the deposit is returned before 15th September 2020 will be made available in a ticket sale in early October. To book tickets in any sale you will first need to be registered.

Of course this is, like everything, subject to change. They haven't set a date for that sale yet so could easily scrap it. Equally it's only putting down a deposit like everyone else so there's not much to lose. 

If we look at a vaccine being approved by November, and rolling out in December. 

the event isn’t until the end of June which is plenty of time to ensure the highest risk people have been vaccinated. 

the issue is the build that starts around the end of March, but with redesigned processes for group working, bubbles etc it should be safe.