Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

8 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

Signing a waiver to absolve ultimate fiscal responsibility doesn't negate the employer from risk assessment and minimising risks where-ever possible

minimising risks by following best practice is one thing, holding someone legally responsible for getting an infection that's going round is something else.

We don't hold people legally responsible for someone catching 'flu. Covid is no different.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

councils set conditions, festivals meet them. There's nothing different to the normal with what you raise there.

My point is whether they will be able to obtain the necessary cover and insurances at a reasonable price.

Many reinsurers are wary of the risks inherent on a variety of levels in this pandemic. 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

minimising risks by following best practice is one thing, holding someone legally responsible for getting an infection that's going round is something else.

We don't hold people legally responsible for someone catching 'flu. Covid is no different.

Seasonal flu may be judged an acceptable risk. The question is whether you judge contracting Covid an acceptable risk.

And yes, people do initiate legal action if they contract MRSA in hospitals, or Legionnaires disease in office blocks. They don't if they get a verruca at a swimming pool.

It's about what is deemed acceptable. 

11 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

Signing a waiver to absolve ultimate fiscal responsibility doesn't negate the employer from risk assessment and minimising risks where-ever possible, at no point in my post did i say festival employers will get them to sign a waiver and then ignore all risks and instruct staff to start licking people who are coughing!

The question was not whether employers would do it, rather were they able to do it. The answer is still no. You've altered your point a bit.

18 minutes ago, Copperface said:

My point is whether they will be able to obtain the necessary cover and insurances at a reasonable price.

Many reinsurers are wary of the risks inherent on a variety of levels in this pandemic. 

Coincidentally:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53465972

Edited by Copperface

27 minutes ago, Copperface said:

the only thing (essentially) uninsurable is for cancellation, and that's not a licence requirement.

There's nothing otherwise to do with covid that needs to be insured, just as there's no need to insure for flu or chicken pox or anything else.

Edited by eFestivals

29 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Seasonal flu may be judged an acceptable risk. The question is whether you judge contracting Covid an acceptable risk.

the judgement about that risk is the punters to make, and not the festival's.

Just as it is for flu.

And yes, people do initiate legal action if they contract MRSA in hospitals, or Legionnaires disease in office blocks. They don't if they get a verruca at a swimming pool.

They take legal action for negligence, not for MRSA or Legionaires disease.

If a festival is negligent in its anti-covid measures it's in the shit, who knew? But the always-there risk of negligence is not stopping shops and pubs and restaurants and it won't impact on festivals either.

For someone who I'm thinking is a copper (from your name and some of the posts you've chosen to make) you seem to have a shit grasp of the law. ;) 

It's about what is deemed acceptable. 

what is deemed acceptable is the govt guidance.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

For someone who I'm thinking is a copper (from your name and some of the posts you've chosen to make) you seem to have a shit grasp of the law. ;) 

Nope. Incorrect assumption. The name is actually based on a really bad night out at a nightclub called Copperface Jacks in Dublin many years ago.🤢 

Government guidance, while you deem that acceptable, is eminently challengeable and can be disputed in a court, which I'm sure we will soon see.

The point about legal action I was making is that the severity of any effect is normally what prompts such action, not necessarily the actual circumstances, hence the example of MRSA vs a verruca.

16 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Nope. Incorrect assumption. The name is actually based on a really bad night out at a nightclub called Copperface Jacks in Dublin many years ago.🤢 

ahh, apologies, my mistake.

Government guidance, while you deem that acceptable, is eminently challengeable and can be disputed in a court, which I'm sure we will soon see.

everything is open to legal challenge, it doesn't necessarily mean it has a basis to win.

That aside, the govt advice might be deemed unlawful, but that wouldn't make a festival negligent which followed govt guidance in good faith.

The point about legal action I was making is that the severity of any effect is normally what prompts such action, not necessarily the actual circumstances, hence the example of MRSA vs a verruca.

the severity might prompt action, that still doesn't mean there's a proper legal basis for that action.

A festival would have to be proven as being negligent with its covid measures for a successful suing, which it shouldn't be if it does everything by the book (just as it has to do everything by the book) - as well as the person prove they contracted covid at the festival and not elsewhere, and that the festival somehow played a role in that individual getting infected.

These are pretty standard business risks. If it was the big issue you're suggesting then it would already be all over the news as a problem for shops and bars.

6 Music just interviewed Melvin Benn about Latitude and what might happen to festivals.

From 14.45 hrs on the Shaun Keaveney show on BBC Sounds 6 Music if you want to listen to it.

Stated he was trying to be optimistic for next year.

Could not predict the future but that that he expects obviously a focus on hygiene/handwashing etc.....did not know about masks etc.

States three ways out for festivals to happen:

1 The virus disappears........he doesn't believe that to be likely.

2. Some kind of vaccine might come along and at least vaccinate the vulnerable so (his words) the rest of us might have a fairly regular life

3. Some kind of testing system

Or a mixture of 2 and 3 and talking about immunity passports.

Rest of it was about the Govt funding assistance and about how good it would be to see live music again.

So, didn't really come away with anything concrete.

4 hours ago, Copperface said:

6 Music just interviewed Melvin Benn about Latitude and what might happen to festivals.

From 14.45 hrs on the Shaun Keaveney show on BBC Sounds 6 Music if you want to listen to it.

Stated he was trying to be optimistic for next year.

Could not predict the future but that that he expects obviously a focus on hygiene/handwashing etc.....did not know about masks etc.

States three ways out for festivals to happen:

1 The virus disappears........he doesn't believe that to be likely.

2. Some kind of vaccine might come along and at least vaccinate the vulnerable so (his words) the rest of us might have a fairly regular life

3. Some kind of testing system

Or a mixture of 2 and 3 and talking about immunity passports.

Rest of it was about the Govt funding assistance and about how good it would be to see live music again.

So, didn't really come away with anything concrete.

They might have a look at this event if it even happens as a soft template. But of course the distancing thing for the stages wouldnt fly because Latitude is selling all the tickets they can. 

A72C8110-7C03-4741-9BA9-B3D506CD494C.jpeg

some people giving it a go!

On Bank Holiday Sunday 30th August, Alexandra Park and Palace will open its gates for Kaleidoscope presents...Unlocked. This socially distanced outdoor music experience will be held in the Pavilion event space in the park.

Line up:

Norman Jay MBE

DJ Yoda (full AV show)

& many more to be announced

On 7/24/2020 at 7:03 AM, eFestivals said:

I had a nice long chat with Andy Smith from From The Fields (Kendal Calling, Bluedot, etc) yesterday, digging into how things panned out with covid, how difficult it is to do music events now, and looking forwards.

The interview should be online early next week.

"One crisis at a time please"

the interview is now online.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/kendalcalling/2021/interview-smith1.shtml

13 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Heh - had a feeling you night have been. How much is accurate - did the organisers essentially abandon it mid-festival?

so the rumour goes. It was a festival of rumours and who knows what was true? I don't.

I'm not sure even now if a kid really died or if it's just rumour. I know I didn't see it reported in the press back then tho I might have missed it.

There were shit loads of people without tickets there tho - which included myself and just about everyone in the 20+ crew I was with.

Edited by eFestivals

On 7/30/2020 at 7:24 AM, eFestivals said:

so the rumour goes. It was a festival of rumours and who knows what was true? I don't.

I'm not sure even now if a kid really died or if it's just rumour. I know I didn't see it reported in the press back then tho I might have missed it.

There were shit loads of people without tickets there tho - which included myself and just about everyone in the 20+ crew I was with.

That was one where the lunatics really did take over the asylum.

The security bailed and so random travellers volunteered to replace them. Absolute chaos.

A child did drown in a pond and a brew crew type did get run over and killed, he was called Scouse. Not wanting to speak ill of the dead, but he was a rather unsavoury character.

It was a completely mental event even by the standard of those times. The only one after that that was in any was comparable was the last Harvest Fayre run by a chap called Chris Pace, a really sound bloke. The police had a huge media campaign to warn people not to go so ticket sales were v poor and the security buggered off due to lack of wages. This resulted in what was then the remains of the convoy along with every other blagger and  ne'er-do-well from south of Newcastle turning up and getting in for free. It was ace!