Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

5 hours ago, sisco said:

Said to my mate the other day (May or mentioned it here too) that I think we’ll see european festivals going ahead but not many acts travelling from the US for them.    Quality may drop off a bit but we’ll all be dancing and happy.  

I could see the opposite - if US acts can't play over there but can travel here to play here then we may have an invasion!

5 hours ago, sisco said:

Said to my mate the other day (May or mentioned it here too) that I think we’ll see european festivals going ahead but not many acts travelling from the US for them.    Quality may drop off a bit but we’ll all be dancing and happy.  

Familiarity maybe, not necessarily quality. There are plenty* of European bands that rarely come here, but are far superior to many American imports.

*Citation needed, I know, but I'm cooking dinner!

51 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I could see the opposite - if US acts can't play over there but can travel here to play here then we may have an invasion!

Could theoretically come over with a planned 14 day quarantine and then tour Europe. Issue is that massively ramps up the cost of touring, particularly for smaller bands. 

17 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Based on likely vaccine timeline I don't think glasto will happen next year. Or any other festival.

I think they will. To preclude trading for all large gathering businesses for 15 months is unsustainable. They'll 'all' go to the wall. We've already seen a drop in GDP beyond that which most modellers consider the level below which death and morbidity from the economic hardship will outstrip that from coronavirus.

My feeling is that there will likely a waiver model created, whereby businesses will require clients to 'sign' a waiver accepting personally responsibility for contracting infection. I can see that being the only route back for businesses like theatres etc. And, I can foresee such a model for gigs and festivals.

I think that the likelihood is of individuals reaching a point of accepting - or choosing not to - a given level of risk in the activities they undertake. The caveat to all of my thoughts here is that a genuine recurrence to exponential virus reproduction and scenes like Northern Italy in early March (or the godforsaken US right now...) might force another full national lockdown, notwithstanding the Blond Buffoon's assertions in the press today.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

My feeling is that there will likely a waiver model created, whereby businesses will require clients to 'sign' a waiver accepting personally responsibility for contracting infection. I can see that being the only route back for businesses like theatres etc. And, I can foresee such a model for gigs and festivals.

Thing is, its not just those attending it's the people they go on to have contact with afterwards that could be affected and they don't get to sign the waiver. Nurses, carers, teachers etc anyone could be at glastonbury and be returning to their workplace afterwards...

8 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Thing is, its not just those attending it's the people they go on to have contact with afterwards that could be affected and they don't get to sign the waiver. Nurses, carers, teachers etc anyone could be at glastonbury and be returning to their workplace afterwards...

But that applies to anywhere else you could catch it, surely. 

My relatives, or anyone else, don't get a say in what I do or where I go. 

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

But that applies to anywhere else you could catch it, surely. 

My relatives, or anyone else, don't get a say in what I do or where I go. 

Yes it totally does but we can only (in theory) do things at the moment that are considered safe and I think that will be the same for mass gatherings..they won't come back until it's considered safe, and then there won't be a need to sign any waiver.

4 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Yes it totally does but we can only (in theory) do things at the moment that are considered safe and I think that will be the same for mass gatherings..they won't come back until it's considered safe, and then there won't be a need to sign any waiver.

Ah yeah, I see what you mean. 

Edited by fatyeti24

8 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

We have lives too! If the Government determines we can take risks and attend wider gatherings of people, then we shouldn't be treated any differently to the rest of society. We can also still stick to measures which keeps our patients and pupils safe. It is impossible to eliminate all risk, and it will get to the point where we need to take some positive risks to get society functioning again.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, zero000 said:

We have lives too! If the Government determines we can take risks and attend wider gatherings of people, then we shouldn't be treated any differently to the rest of society. We can also still stick to measures which keeps our patients and pupils safe. It is impossible to eliminate all risk, and it will get to the point where we need to take some positive risks to get society functioning again.

This.

Ben

6 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I completely agree, I just dont think it will happen until it is deemed safe enough to do it without the need to sign a waiver. 

Edited by Cream Soda

14 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I completely agree, I just dont think it will happen until it is deemed safe enough to do it without the need to sign a waiver. 

as much as many want otherwise, i have to agree with this...

I cannot see the Eavii (waiver or no waiver) wanting to put their legacy at risk by hosting a 'party' that could have extreme consequences.

Unless the gove start giving more dollar to the OUTSIDE entertainment industry next year might be a bit of a fuck up.. Which could really see some festivals and fates etc going under.... I'm pritty sure I read somewhere that even Mr E said he would not be able to NOT get through 2 years of NO glastonbury.. 

Let's hope things change and really quickly.. Mr J said today that he would NOT put the UK in lockdown again but is that the right thing.......I'm Scratching head just thinking about it all 

13 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

as much as many want otherwise, i have to agree with this...

I cannot see the Eavii (waiver or no waiver) wanting to put their legacy at risk by hosting a 'party' that could have extreme consequences.

Given how they’ve treated the creative arts so far, a festival would be an all too easy target for their upcoming blame game...

54 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I also think I agree we just differ on the timings of when it'll be considered safe. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think that the likelihood is of individuals reaching a point of accepting - or choosing not to - a given level of risk in the activities they undertake.

Clients/punters are one thing - do you make employees and contractors sign a waiver as well?

You can't.

20 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Clients/punters are one thing - do you make employees and contractors sign a waiver as well?

You can't.

Happy to be corrected but i think you can, otherwise, how do companies who employ people to do inherently dangerous tasks operate? 

9 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Happy to be corrected but i think you can, otherwise, how do companies who employ people to do inherently dangerous tasks operate? 

Give me an example of such a role.

Any inherent dangers in a role are risk assessed and mitigated, never ignored.

There is no role or job that I am aware of where the employer says ' We know that you might die from XXXXXX but sign a waiver if you die or suffer from this risk that we have identified, and know is there, and we are absolved of liability.'

Even the military are subject to HSE legislation.

Edited by Copperface

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Give me an example of such a role.

Any inherent dangers in a role are risk assessed and mitigated, never ignored.

There is no role or job that I am aware of where the employer says ' We know that you might die from XXXXXX but sign a waiver if you die or suffer from this risk that we have identified, and know is there, and we are absolved of liability.'

Even the military are subject to HSE legislation.

Signing a waiver to absolve ultimate fiscal responsibility doesn't negate the employer from risk assessment and minimising risks where-ever possible, at no point in my post did i say festival employers will get them to sign a waiver and then ignore all risks and instruct staff to start licking people who are coughing!

Fundamentally there are jobs that come with significant risks, armed forces as you mentioned, and also things like motorway maintenance. From an employers perspective, we can put up cones and signs, reduce the speed limit, put you in high viz and helmets but you are working yards from very heavy vehicles going 50 mph and potentially much faster. You can have all the risk assessments you want but that job is inherently risky.  COVID has changed the game and now more roles than ever have an element of risk. 

19 hours ago, Copperface said:

Event/Festival/Public Liability insurance, whilst not compulsory, might be a problem and as far as i know, councils are able to mandate that at least PLI is in place as part of the licence.

councils set conditions, festivals meet them. There's nothing different to the normal with what you raise there.

10 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Why? Do shops have this wavier model? Do hospitals have this waiver model? Who is held responsible and sued if someone catches normal seasonal flu?

I wouldn't be too surprised if festivals do include something along those lines within the ticket T&C's just to cover their arse as much as possible and to help avoid themselves being dragged into pointless but expensive court cases, but I can't see how it fits with normal attitudes towards catching an infection.