Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

looks like we have a first festival going ahead - although only with 25% of its original capacity.

https://alfrescofestival.co.uk/boutique-alfresco-2020/

Personally I think it's an arse of an idea, tho I've no doubt it'll shift it's limited tickets.

This is interesting. Looking at their website I really can't see what they're actually doing that's different beyond selling less tickets. Is that it? And presumably ensuring campsites are spaced out? 

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is interesting. Looking at their website I really can't see what they're actually doing that's different beyond selling less tickets. Is that it? And presumably ensuring campsites are spaced out? 

I'm guessing there's also a lot less entertainment than they originally planned, and probably not within marquees.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

looks like we have a first festival going ahead - although only with 25% of its original capacity.

https://alfrescofestival.co.uk/boutique-alfresco-2020/

Personally I think it's an arse of an idea, tho I've no doubt it'll shift it's limited tickets.

I wonder if the announcement of the support package for the industry means that more events like this will be trying to go ahead with those reduced numbers to avoid accusations of sitting there and enjoying government largesse for doing absolutely nothing? As much support as there was for the package there was also a fair amount of opposition (at least based on the shite I was reading), so it needs to be seen as meeting the govt halfway?

Edited by Quark

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

I wonder if the announcement of the support package for the industry means that more events like this will be trying to go ahead with those reduced numbers to avoid accusations of sitting there and enjoying government largesse for doing absolutely nothing? As much support as there was for the package there was also a fair amount of opposition (at least based on the shite I was reading), so it needs to be seen as meeting the govt halfway?

maybe, I guess ... tho we need to see the govt plans for live music this week before we can really know.

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

supposedly, yep - they said something about that when they announced the money for the arts a few days ago.

Ah cool I didn't realise that! Hopefully some sort of timetable - I'd love to at least have an idea of when I might be able to get to some gigs of varying sizes.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

supposedly, yep - they said something about that when they announced the money for the arts a few days ago.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i don't think it's going to be anything as solid as a timetable, unfortunately. :( 

Some info must've been passed around already this week - I've had emails in the past 2 days about Elton John (scheduled November) Circa Waves (scheduled September) and Blossoms (scheduled August) all moving to next year, plus I know Texas rescheduled their end of year UK ones but not their European ones interestingly. 

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It doesn't give any sort of timeframe, but from my reading of it they'll be the rules until the virus is gone or there's a vaccine.

If that’s true and assuming there’s no vaccine and virus isn’t gone by Glastonbury 2021 do you think Glastonbury happens trying to follow these rules or it doesn’t happen for the 2nd year in a row? 

1 minute ago, assorted said:

If that’s true and assuming there’s no vaccine and virus isn’t gone by Glastonbury 2021 do you think Glastonbury happens trying to follow these rules or it doesn’t happen for the 2nd year in a row? 

I don't see how it could follow these rules :(

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

"Discouraging or avoiding gatherings such as performances or screenings that may encourage audience behaviours that increase transmission risk, for example crowding, clustering or physical contact outside of household groups or support bubbles."

Hmmm... 

😐

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It doesn't give any sort of timeframe, but from my reading of it they'll be the rules until the virus is gone or there's a vaccine.

Here in california the guidelines state if a “treatment” is available ( vaccine included )  then events can carry on in their normal capacity whenever the state gives the go ahead for that stage of reopening. I would assume its similar in the uk via the document. You couldnt be that hardline on requiring a vaccine because not every person can get it right away. You open a whole other can of worms with ticket holders that arent vaccinated and would not be allowed to attend a gig or festival and would need refunds because of that requirement. See Tickets and Live Nation would then have to get their armies of lawyers to amend their terms of service yet again and we just saw the mess that caused, especially in the resale market. 

If we’re lucky theres a vaccine by the beginning of the year and then its a matter of what festivals and organizers will require of attendees when that comes about. Short term if there was something that could abate symptoms and such we could see things get closer to how they were. Glasto might just get in under the wire on this though from the look of it. Im sure plenty of people will still wear a mask though. Then you pray its a cool weekend and not a scorcher.