Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade who hasn’t got a ticket... but like pubs, beaches, etc there will be a significant enough amount of people that will absolutely jump on any festival that happens to go ahead. Of course there will be people that will be put off, but there will be plenty absolutely gagging for anything they can get their hands on.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade who hasn’t got a ticket... but like pubs, beaches, etc there will be a significant enough amount of people that will absolutely jump on any festival that happens to go ahead. Of course there will be people that will be put off, but there will be plenty absolutely gagging for anything they can get their hands on.

balanced out by those who aren't in a position financially and are nervous about this sort of thing 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

balanced out by those who aren't in a position financially and are nervous about this sort of thing 

Depends on the situation in October. Coincidentally the furloughing and Mortgage holidays run until then, so there probably won’t be any significant impact on people’s willingness to put down £50. It depends how much the festival decide to make a fan fair of the sale too, but with no festivals all summer and only one Glastonbury in the last three years I can’t see any significant impact in demand at all. 

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Depends on the situation in October. Coincidentally the furloughing and Mortgage holidays run until then, so there probably won’t be any significant impact on people’s willingness to put down £50. It depends how much the festival decide to make a fan fair of the sale too, but with no festivals all summer and only one Glastonbury in the last three years I can’t see any significant impact in demand at all. 

True the furlough scheme runs until the autumn, though the subsidy will be progressively scaled down, and the mortgage holiday period as been extended, but the economic impact for most become a lot clearer before then. I fear we will see large redundancies affecting many sectors as employers adjust to the new normal and a fair degree of belt tightening. Without a significant bounce back the job market will become tight and opportunities  to earn "festival cash" no longer easy to come by. This will impact the festival attendance of some. Question is, how many will have the cash spare to take their place?

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

La la la la la la fingers in ears la la la la can't hear nothing!

😷 😉

Edited by semmtexx
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

No negativity here thanks 😉 

341050E3-DC2D-4354-BE01-361D6CBD64A8.gif

In all seriousness, maybe it will lead to a change in the demographics, which wouldn’t be good as that is the brilliant thing about Glastonbury, people of all ages. I’m late thirties and everyone I know is in their thirties, early or late, nobody is worried or scared of the virus, if there was a festival on tomorrow they’d all be there in a heartbeat. Of course everyone is concerned about loved ones, but from a personal risk point of view, rightly or wrongly it isn’t on anyone I knows radar. Although there is a risk, that risk isn’t anywhere close to being a big enough risk to stop anyone I know going to a festival, going on holiday, going to the pub etc. I’d assume anyone you get in their twenties will in the main be far less concerned again. I’m sure there are exceptions, but generally not on my experience. No doubt though as you go up the age brackets that concern will become more of an issue for some.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In all seriousness, maybe it will lead to a change in the demographics, which wouldn’t be good as that is the brilliant thing about Glastonbury, people of all ages. I’m late thirties and everyone I know is in their thirties, early or late, nobody is worried or scared of the virus, if there was a festival on tomorrow they’d all be there in a heartbeat. Of course everyone is concerned about loved ones, but from a personal risk point of view, rightly or wrongly it isn’t on anyone I knows radar. Although there is a risk, that risk isn’t anywhere close to being a big enough risk to stop anyone I know going to a festival, going on holiday, going to the pub etc. I’d assume anyone you get than thirty will in the main be far less concerned again. I’m sure there are exceptions, but generally not on my experience. No doubt though as you go up the age brackets that concern will become more of an issue for some.

I’m not sure I would be there in a heartbeat and I’m a big big fan ... some major consideration would be needed for me personally ... 

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not sure how much the latter factor will have a major effect. The demographic who attend festivals are much less likely to be at risk of dying should they catch the coronavirus, and of course there’s a lot of festival goers who will be reassured of their safety purely by the fact it’s allowed to go ahead.

Financial concerns may be a factor if there’s mass unemployment, but on the other hand a lot of people may have money to spend after a long period of not really going out, going to festivals, cancelled holidays etc 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not sure how much the latter factor will have a major effect. The demographic who attend festivals are much less likely to be at risk of dying should they catch the coronavirus, and of course there’s a lot of festival goers who will be reassured of their safety purely by the fact it’s allowed to go ahead.

Financial concerns may be a factor if there’s mass unemployment, but on the other hand a lot of people may have money to spend after a long period of not really going out, going to festivals, cancelled holidays etc 

The young are currently more at risk of unemployment and are more likely to be on casual contracts and will be struggling to find employment potentially unless this clears up ... that disposable income that people will have saved by staying at home can easily and quickly be used up when people don’t have jobs ... I know for sure that I used quite a bit of my redundancy money when I was unemployed ... it doesn’t last forever .... and on the other point I should have made it clear that I was talking specifically about glastonbury which has a mixed age demographic.. 

For what it's worth, and I'm someone with no ticket, I think October will be exceptionally hard to get tickets. I think it will be a very small pool of tickets - next April will probably be marginally better. 

In terms of other festivals, have you seen the Crowdfunder for 2000 Trees? Some great rewards there: 

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/2000treesfestival

5 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

For what it's worth, and I'm someone with no ticket, I think October will be exceptionally hard to get tickets. I think it will be a very small pool of tickets - next April will probably be marginally better. 

In terms of other festivals, have you seen the Crowdfunder for 2000 Trees? Some great rewards there: 

Correct, it's not going to be like 2009 in October because a (very) high percentage of the tickets for 2020 will already have deposits on them. I can't see mass returns before then but the plans of some to attend will have changed.

Obviously a lot will depend on what happens with jobs, but the government are chucking the kitchen sink at avoiding mass job losses which suggests they don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion it will happen. A few of my friends are definitely going to have a ton of cash once this is over. They’re in jobs that are definitely secure, if anything they’re booming. They’ve all taken advantage of the mortgage holiday, just because (they see it as free money but obviously it’s not) and they’re not spending any money. For every loser they’ll definitely be a winner anyway. I might add I’m not as lucky as them. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I don't know it it's been mentioned before but I'm currently wondering how distancing will play out in the longer term on social interactions, relationships and festival going. Specifically on the latter my own festival going came about through meeting like minded people. If social interaction is not regained, and I see here universities are already planning distance learning for 2020/21, will a new generation of festival goers be lost? 🤔

On 5/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, vintagelaureate said:

I think the shit you've been tho YOU DESERVE a ticket.. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It’s looking more and more likely that my partner won’t have a job to go back to once the furlough scheme is reduced. If that is the case, I can’t see us trying for tickets unless he finds another job. 

Best of luck ... u ruled out going on your own ? 

10 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Best of luck ... u ruled out going on your own ? 

It wouldn’t feel right me splashing out money to go when he’s watching what he’s spending. 

10 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Thanks @guypjfreak and @crazyfool1 ❤️

@Tartan_Glasto sorry to hear that, what line of work is your partner in? my friend recently lost his business as he couldn't sustain it anymore.

He works in retail. The company was already in a fairly bad position before all this and post lockdown it’s not looking great.

1 minute ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It wouldn’t feel right me splashing out money to go when he’s watching what he’s spending. 

He works in retail. The company was already in a fairly bad position before all this and post lockdown it’s not looking great.

thats a shame ...hope he gets a job before oct ... or hope you can try october and keep the faith he gets a job before balance payments ...

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:21 PM, crazyfool1 said:

thats a shame ...hope he gets a job before oct ... or hope you can try october and keep the faith he gets a job before balance payments ...

Thank you :) 

Keeping fingers crossed cause I love that place, nothing makes me happier than having tickets, the lead up to the festival and obviously then being there. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:58 PM, crazyfool1 said:

i think the tickets is more likely than the festival at this stage ... was it 2009 that the festival last struggled to sell out ....  did that not coincide with last recession ? or have I got years wrong ? I know other factors were at play to ...

It was 2008. The thinking was that it was due to an exceptionally wet 2007 festival and possibly the bad press over Jay Z headlining.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Neil said:

I'm not accusing Melvin of telling porkies, but then again he's not going to say anything different to this. It's much like the Eavis "best festival ever".

And I don't really think it's anything more than a the sort of hopeful guess any of us could make, because there's no perfect info so everyone is pissing in the wind.

I'd like to think Melvin is right, but it's ultimately just his personal (and perhaps overly-hopeful) guess.

If we do get 30m doses of vaccine in October, with more types of vaccines landing over the next few months then you would think that spring festivals do look pretty likely.

52 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

It was 2008. The thinking was that it was due to an exceptionally wet 2007 festival and possibly the bad press over Jay Z headlining.

It also took a few weeks (months?) to sell out in 2009.  Best case scenario - everyone got a ticket and the festival sold out in plenty of time to the big day.