Glastonbury’s greatest unsolved mysteries.

Matt42

A good fallow year thread.

There have been many mysteries surrounding Glastonbury in recent history that us festival nerds have argued about on here time and time again. Some we may never know the answer to.

Some I’ve thought about include...

Who was meant to sub Taylor Swift?

What on Earth was the D’Angelo (2016) thing about?

What happened with that year where they ‘booked prince’ and he backed out?

Did they pay a premium for the stones or did the stones do it for the standard fee?

Were Radiohead meant to play in 2016?

Does Eavis really hate the chilli peppers?

Other miscellaneous ones which I can vaguely remember include that year where there was information about a secret Park headliner, that year where members of Pink Floyd asked to play and were turned down, and Coldplay being a “fourth” headliner for one year?

Am I missing any iconic ones? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

A good fallow year thread.

There have been many mysteries surrounding Glastonbury in recent history that us festival nerds have argued about on here time and time again. Some we may never know the answer to.

Some I’ve thought about include...

Who was meant to sub Taylor Swift?

What on Earth was the D’Angelo (2016) thing about?

Did they pay a premium for the stones or did the stones do it for the standard fee?

Were Radiohead meant to play in 2016?

Does Eavis really hate the chilli peppers?

Other miscellaneous ones which I can vaguely remember include that year where there was information about a secret Park headliner, that year where members of Pink Floyd asked to play and were turned down, and Coldplay being a “fourth” headliner for one year?

Am I missing any iconic ones? 

Some of these have answers you can find on Google:

Prince was never signed but he was 99% there before freaking out at papers saying he was playing, thinking that the festival had leaked it.

Pink Floyd approached the festival weeks before that year’s event wanting to headline the Pyramid. Of course the festival couldn’t accommodate them.

Similarly, the Chilis (also Justin Timberlake) asked to play the festival for free in 2008 but couldn’t because the headliners were already in place. Yes, Michael obviously hates RHCP because he’s an adult.

Additionally, it was reasonable to assume D’Angelo was Adele’s sub initially as Tame Impala said they were booked after the lineup was released, and they popped up in the same place on the poster where D’Angelo was.

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

what I heard - from the direction of the Prince camp - is that he was never booked.

10 hours ago, Bisque said:

But why????????

I think it was some kind of scheduling conflict. The guy who told me was in “the industry” and from NZ (says he still has contacts there etc...). Apparently she wasn’t able to travel to Glastonbury. Could all be bollocks, but he always seems legit 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

what I heard - from the direction of the Prince camp - is that he was never booked. 

Always a peculiar situation, made even more strange when Pete Townshend said they were filling in for the purple rain on the Sunday in 2015. But all the indications point towards him being closest to agreeing in 2014. Still gutted they never did, would've been spectacular. 

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

Always a peculiar situation, made even more strange when Pete Townshend said they were filling in for the purple rain on the Sunday in 2015. But all the indications point towards him being closest to agreeing in 2014. Still gutted they never did, would've been spectacular. 

The who filled the slot they were wanting to put Prince in, that much is very definitely correct.

What i heard via a source that had connections to the Prince camp (and the shows he did in the UK) is that he was never booked and wouldn't be booked (his mind was soured against it because he thought they'd been selling off his name from the rumours).

Glastonbury seem to believe they'd booked him at some point, whether they really did or didn't I can't know for sure. But it definitely seemed to be the case (from reports about other things) that there were people who were claiming to represent Prince who didn't - at least officially. I think he/her/they "confirmed" bookings and then tried to talk Prince into it, knowing there was a nice big cut of a fee to be had if it actually came together.

16 hours ago, Bisque said:

Why did the Kaiser Chiefs open Other stage? Did Lorde pull out?

Yes I remember this! I remember this rumour at the time sounding stupid but then Lorde pretty much confirmed it.

Also @Deaf Nobby Burton what was the point of that catwalk? I swear they only used it once during the whole set.

17 hours ago, Zacko said:

Did Beyonce's team know that it was Wayne Rooney they were filming for the video that played over Halo, or did they just think he was another random guy?

Hahah now that’s an unsolved mystery.

16 hours ago, priest17 said:

Why did I see Black Eyed Peas instead of Blur?

I might be confused but haven’t black eyed peas played twice? Or just once?

5 hours ago, sadimmock said:

I think it was some kind of scheduling conflict. The guy who told me was in “the industry” and from NZ (says he still has contacts there etc...). Apparently she wasn’t able to travel to Glastonbury. Could all be bollocks, but he always seems legit 

I thought she hurt her foot? There was an insta post of her with a bruised toe saying sorry Glastonbury, right?

6 hours ago, Neil said:

Sorry sounds like something Prince’s camp would say. Did you watch the Coachella documentary? Paul (Coachella head) shed some insight on booking prince and it sounded bollocks. Apparently he turned it down, and then called up three weeks before the festival asking why he wasn’t on the poster and why no preparations were made for his set. Apparently Paul asked him what he meant as Prince rejected the offer. Apparently Prince denied he did so. I love the guys music, but him and his team were clearly on crack 24/7.

Edited by Matt42