Claim To Fame

Bisque

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Wow, I thought that nothing was going to surpass my 'show stopper', but you've only gone and done it. 

Now I'm interested. Do you still have the T-Rex figure, and if not, do you know what happened to it?

I kept it for many years until it eventually fell apart leaving just the coat hanger I’d bent into a wire frame ‘skeleton’. That went in the bin.

Me and the weans picture featured on the Greepeace Kids field section of the Glastonbury website for a while in 2014. 

The pic was taken one afternoon during the 2013 festival and fortunately I didn’t have a can in my hand at the time 👍

They loved the big pirate boat and watching the skateboarders while I grabbed a quick disco nap.

20 hours ago, Homer said:

Okay, this one is huge. Not only was I at the Royal Abert Hall with the Guinness world record holder for fastest marathon run while dressed as a movie character and the only eFestivaler I know in real life - @Superscally - but I looked around and saw a bloke from the first series of Married at First Sight quite near me! Unbelievable!

He was a Palace fan who annoyed his new wife as when they went on their romantic honeymoon he just wanted to get hammered all the time. I wouldn't have pegged him as an Interpol fan.

Honeymoon sounds ace. Miss you man. 

I'm not so sure that this is a claim to fame really. That's probably because virtually nobody knows about it. Anyway, I once happened to be going out with a lady who used to be in a pop band (they played the Pyramid Stage!), and through being with her I got an invite to Siobhan Fahey's house ( Bananarama & Shakespears Sister). The craic was to meet up at her house and then go on to a venue where she was going to be singing live. Anyway, i travelled down to London to her house on the train from Birmingham, popping pills and drinking heartily as the train chundled along. Anyway, when we got to London and in to her house, there came a time when I became bursting for a piss. I asked one of Siobhan's brown nosing sycophants ( believe me, they were there and on display) where the nearest toilet was. he pointed me down the corridor to a door right at the very end. To cut a long story shor I tried to open the door, but to no avail. So, I thought 'it's occupied' so waited for the person to finish their stuff and come out. However, after an inordinate amount of time nobody came out. I then decided to knock on the door, but there was no response. Then in my drunken and stoned madness I decided to tug the door open again, but yet again, to no avail. By now I was absolutely bursting for a slash, so put my foot up against the wall to get more leverage on the door handle and started to pull on it like a man possessed. It was then that the same oik who had directed me there, shouted up the corridor, something along the lines of ' what the fuck are you doing! It's a sliding door'. and guess what - he was right, it was indeed a sliding door. One that sw*nkily slid in to a void within the wall - as opposed to the one's me and you are used to which slide on either side of a wall. 

OK, it's not exactly, or even technically, a claim to fame - but a famous person was involved.

As an aside, it was the first and only night I have ever been given VIP treatment. Once we left her house and walked past the queues in to the club she was going to sing at, and then whisked further again in to the VIP area, some bloke came up and asked me had I any drugs. I answered that I'm afraid not because I ate all mine on the train on the way to London. he said something along the lines of ' no problem sir, would you like any of these e's I have, or would you like anything else'. I said 'how much are they'? He answered that they were on the house. Well, you already know what my response to that information input was - yes, I filled my boots. lol

• Upvote 2

On 5/18/2020 at 11:11 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It blows my mind when I stop to think that those animals actually roamed this planet. Mental stuff.

I know! Totally bonkers!

Given a one way time machine would you:
A - go back and see the dinosaurs?
B - go forward and see the future? 

Edited by semmtexx

39 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

I know! Totally bonkers!

Given a one way time machine would you:
A - go back and see the dinosaurs?
B - go forward and see the future? 

Hello semmtexx,

Nice question, and not a little difficult to answer. However, if pushed (and I'm shooting from the hip here) I'd opt to go and see the future. Even though I wasn't there, I know a little bit about the past already, whereas (naturally enough) I know nothing of the future.

The above said, if I had access to a time machine that worked the way that I would wish it to work, then I'd like to go back to the year 1900 in Birmingham, and have a good look around the place. I've seen many photos of the place in that era, and for some unexplainable reason, I'm very drawn to them. Obviously it would also be helpful if I could take a Post Office bag full of military grade e's with me, so that I could shake those prudish bastards up!

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice question, and not a little difficult to answer. However, if pushed (and I'm shooting from the hip here) I'd opt to go and see the future. Even though I wasn't there, I know a little bit about the past already, whereas (naturally enough) I know nothing of the future.

The above said, if I had access to a time machine that worked the way that I would wish it to work, then I'd like to go back to the year 1900 in Birmingham, and have a good look around the place. I've seen many photos of the place in that era, and for some unexplainable reason, I'm very drawn to them. Obviously it would also be helpful if I could take a Post Office bag full of military grade e's with me, so that I could shake those prudish bastards up!

Nice.

I struggle to imagine anything of 1900s Birmingham without seeing Peaky Blinders! I agree that a massive bag of quality pills would be a very useful thing! I quite hanker to see the United Kingdom pre industrial revolution (plus a shit ton of other places!!!). I imagine a nice gentle existence but this is probably misguided. Having said that if you analyse the amount of work that you need to do today to survive compared to the amount of work pre industrial revolution we need to work more hours now. Sad huh? 

I've wondered about this one quite a bit. A little like the offer Trillian received in Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy. 

If you were offered a one way trip off the planet (guaranteed health and not being eaten by an alien obvs) so you could see the ends of the universe but you couldn't come back or let your family know would you go? You'd see amazing things but who could you tell. What would you find? My answer has (unsurprisingly) changed as I have got older etc. But - what world's you might find!

Edited by semmtexx

2 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Nice.

I struggle to imagine anything of 1900s Birmingham without seeing Peaky Blinders!

I know of, but have never watched peaky blinders. I believe that they are no longer called that though in today's day and age. i think that they are now called Zulu Warriors.

4 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Having said that if you analyse the amount of work that you need to do today to survive compared to the amount of work pre industrial revolution we need to work more hours now. Sad huh? 

I'm having difficulty comprehending that one. This is due to a lack of education in that area of history, combined with the output of my own performance in the last 5 years at work, when I had a proper job. It would be fair to say that I downed tools for a number of years, but forgot to tell upper management that I had not only took it up on myself to make this management decision, but that I actually had enacted it too. There was a point towards the end of what is laughably called my career, when I told my boss that I just couldn't take it anymore and that I had far too much work on my plate, and that I feared going under. He then told me to give him my excessive work to do. I duly went away, and then I did something more naughty than a naughty thing on very big naughty tablets. What I did was to actually give him all my work instead of just the excess capacity. He then took this pile of paperwork off me (which was about a foot and a half in depth) and told me to take it easy. This I did. As I was working from home, I used to get up at about 11am instead of being ready for 9am. Then I'd come on to this site for a couple of hours. Then I'd drive over to my new girlfriend's (now my wife) flat for about 2pm. Then the both of us would start on the G & T's and snort shocking amounts of Mcat. Maybe I was a Peaky Blinder in another life. 

16 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

If you were offered a one way trip off the planet (guaranteed health and not being eaten by an alien obvs) so you could see the ends of the universe but you couldn't come back or let your family know would you go? You'd see amazing things but who could you tell. What would you find? My answer has (unsurprisingly) changed as I have got older etc. But - what world's you might find!

While I would admit that the things that you would see would be amazing , I think that this clip nails the summing up of how I would ultimately feel about seeing all that;

The problem is, you see, that there's no point witnessing those marvels in the flesh, if you have nobody to share those moments with. My love for my wife has educated me in that sense. And it's an education that I am very grateful for. 

You say that your own perspective has changed in this area. May I ask you ' from where to where'?

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I know of, but have never watched peaky blinders. I believe that they are no longer called that though in today's day and age. i think that they are now called Zulu Warriors.

I'm having difficulty comprehending that one. This is due to a lack of education in that area of history, combined with the output of my own performance in the last 5 years at work, when I had a proper job. It would be fair to say that I downed tools for a number of years, but forgot to tell upper management that I had not only took it up on myself to make this management decision, but that I actually had enacted it too. There was a point towards the end of what is laughably called my career, when I told my boss that I just couldn't take it anymore and that I had far too much work on my plate, and that I feared going under. He then told me to give him my excessive work to do. I duly went away, and then I did something more naughty than a naughty thing on very big naughty tablets. What I did was to actually give him all my work instead of just the excess capacity. He then took this pile of paperwork off me (which was about a foot and a half in depth) and told me to take it easy. This I did. As I was working from home, I used to get up at about 11am instead of being ready for 9am. Then I'd come on to this site for a couple of hours. Then I'd drive over to my new girlfriend's (now my wife) flat for about 2pm. Then the both of us would start on the G & T's and snort shocking amounts of Mcat. Maybe I was a Peaky Blinder in another life. 

While I would admit that the things that you would see would be amazing , I think that this clip nails the summing up of how I would ultimately feel about seeing all that;

The problem is, you see, that there's no point witnessing those marvels in the flesh, if you have nobody to share those moments with. My love for my wife has educated me in that sense. And it's an education that I am very grateful for. 

You say that your own perspective has changed in this area. May I ask you ' from where to where'?

Well you hit the nail on the head with your comment from Blade Runner (awesome film btw). What is it if you cant share it? The where to where is the (routine of course) journey from young free single and caring very little about anything or anybody to the opposite of this. Too much to lose! 

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

As I was working from home, I used to get up at about 11am instead of being ready for 9am. Then I'd come on to this site for a couple of hours. Then I'd drive over to my new girlfriend's (now my wife) flat for about 2pm. Then the both of us would start on the G & T's and snort shocking amounts of Mcat. Maybe I was a Peaky Blinder in another life. 

I love the quantification of that statement with ‘shocking amounts’! 🤣

4 hours ago, semmtexx said:

I love the quantification of that statement with ‘shocking amounts’! 🤣

I really do believe that people would describe the amounts as shocking. In our hey day we were buying £1500 a week of the stuff off our dealer. We'd get through a fair bit of that just ourselves, but there were always others around who would take up the slack.

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I really do believe that people would describe the amounts as shocking. In our hey day we were buying £1500 a week of the stuff off our dealer. We'd get through a fair bit of that just ourselves, but there were always others around who would take up the slack.

Ok that’s a biiiiigg number! Not sure I’ve ever spent £1500 a week on anything!!! 🤣