Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

I think the idea of testing to allow these events to go ahead is dead in the water. Last Summer, in the UK especially, we were talking about the route back to normal by using mass testing at events. Now it's full steam ahead with the vaccines and anything else just seems to have been abandoned when, in reality, it's the combination of these things that gives festivals the best chance of opening safely.

25 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

I think the idea of testing to allow these events to go ahead is dead in the water. Last Summer, in the UK especially, we were talking about the route back to normal by using mass testing at events. Now it's full steam ahead with the vaccines and anything else just seems to have been abandoned when, in reality, it's the combination of these things that gives festivals the best chance of opening safely.

I don't think that's necessarily true. 7.5 months is a long time away for one and the wind may change direction.

And even today, the current chosen formula to travel/fly is not just vaccination or quarantine.

Testing is an additional requirement and I could see it playing a support role here too.

Think it was an explanation, not a justification.

It is possible they are confident of being able to move it to September and the Croatian ministry making positive noises about it being able to go ahead by then. They may be wrong to do so but I'm sure some events will happen at the end of this Summer.

46 minutes ago, puckno said:

The headliners for the discussed Croatia 21 festival was announced in June 2020. If they announced it in January-February 21 I would be more worried about their ethics and sanity.

Ah, ok, hadn't realised.

Still, we're rapidly approaching the point where festivals need to be realistic about scheduling this year. It's not fun for people to pay for tickets for June and then get told that it's September.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

Festivals still need cash flow though. It's in their interest to try and shift as many tickets as possible before any cancellation/rescheduling in the hope that many people will hold onto their tickets. 

Sure, that's true but this time they're paying to promote their low cost festival that won't happen, during a period in which almost no one would buy a ticket... 🤔

Edited by gigi21

25 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Chop chop primavera get the postponement to september or 2022 done, everyone knows june is off. 
do we think they’ll at least confirm it this month?

My guess would be yes - by the end of the month. Only reason not to have done already is to line up the names for the poster.

Spain looks like their cases have just peaked too, so will become easier to do this with a more general sense of optimism in the air.

Guys, its February already and everything is still looking bleak as fuck. How can anyone still expect 2021 Primavera to happen? Vaccination has not speeded up in continental Europe at all and even the current best case scenario wouldn't make Primavera a possibility. Not accounting for the fact that the september dates are pure speculation. 

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Guys, its February already and everything is still looking bleak as fuck. How can anyone still expect 2021 Primavera to happen? Vaccination has not speeded up in continental Europe at all and even the current best case scenario wouldn't make Primavera a possibility. Not accounting for the fact that the september dates are pure speculation. 

Would be nice if it was realised a 2 shot Pf/biontech wasn't required and that 1 shot at 90% efficacy after 21 days was the new norm.

Along with the roll out of all the others of course, sinopharm, novovax and the rocketman that is sputnik v.

I imagine these would help get us back on schedule.

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

25 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Would be nice if it was realised a 2 shot Pf/biontech wasn't required and that 1 shot at 90% efficacy after 21 days was the new norm.

Along with the roll out of all the others of course, sinopharm, novovax and the rocketman that is sputnik v.

I imagine these would help get us back on schedule.

Yeah, there's some potential upside good news still to come. Also think there will be some testing breakthroughs.

And @Quadrophobia you say vaccination hasn't sped up at all but we've only had 1 x month of vaccination so far and there are still 7.5 months x vaccination remaining to the proposed date.

51 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, there's some potential upside good news still to come. Also think there will be some testing breakthroughs.

And @Quadrophobia you say vaccination hasn't sped up at all but we've only had 1 x month of vaccination so far and there are still 7.5 months x vaccination remaining to the proposed date.

Yeah and the EU expects a major speed up not to happen before April. It is what it is, herd immunity will not be reached by Spetember. Even in the best case scenario, we will just breach into herd immunity in mainland Europe in autumn and thats not accounting for vaccine skepticism, which remaines high in multiple countries.

Also, The Weeknd just canceled his EU Tour in September/October 2021 and moved them to 2022[1]. Major ticketing company eventim is pushing legislators to allow them to restrict entry to events to vaccinated people. The industry is already giving up 2021.

[1] People will come forward with the "but thats indoor" argument. Arenas are typically well ventilated, so the circulation of fresh air reaches levels near outdoors, which is a crucial factor (maybe THE crucial factor) according to the University of Halle study conducted last year

Edited by Quadrophobia

15 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

People will come forward with the "but thats indoor" argument. Arenas are typically well ventilated, so the circulation of fresh air reaches levels near outdoors, which is a crucial factor (maybe THE crucial factor) according to the University of Halle study conducted last year

Gosh, that's a good point - hadn't thought of that.

I was visualising rammed underground places but, yes, arenas could be even safer than outdoor festivals perhaps as the crowd is better able to be controlled and imagine masks too to begin with.