Absolutely. I worry for the sector. How many businesses could survive 3 years with 1 years' worth of income?

Obviously this is a festival in Spain so one thing that can't go badly is the in-country vaccine programme.

Spain is actually being pretty damn efficient given their limited number of doses so far, as this graph shows.

image.png.2277defd5b6f5e219b6f322b305073f5.png

Edited by xxialac
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're crap. That's whats wrong with them.

They're a very boring band with no memorable songs, who can't cut it live but are inexplicably popular. I would just ignore them but festivals keep booking them and people keep describing them as "ind

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Aguycalledpat said:

Squid posted a Primavera Sound Event 2022.

So this is a first sign nothing happens this Year

2BFEF7B2-DF5A-4187-8D38-974F080A5DF2.jpeg

Nah. They might cancel September but they won't cancel it in January

And why does the festival end on a Monday next year?

At this point I’m leaning towards hoping they just can it altogether until next year instead of mucking around and moving it to September only for it to be cancelled again, but I know that’s not what’s gonna happen and they’ll do everything they can to make it happen this year.

I think I am making peace with the fact nothing is going to happen , not on the scale of Primavera anyway.

Listening to Colin Greenwood on BBC radio this morning and while the vaccine is this supposed beacon of hope, the idea of bands managing to get the insurance for them and their crew is going to be difficult. In some respects there is a model they can adapt from the big budget film productions that have happened. Test on set, bubbles etc...but it would have to be a small small festival. 

Id rather just know now. 

Did I heard the deadline for confirming festivals is March? 

I can't see why they won't throw everything at trying to still make it happen in September and possibly some positive developments in coming months.

100% they'll hold a smaller set of events then (but bigger than last years Nits' programme).

And perhaps 30% September main Festival can still happen with European acts. It is still in a long time after all, bands and punters will be very keen and the infrastructure is mostly already in place.

Edited by xxialac

Maybe it is not so motivating to go through another half year with hard work, lots of cost and tons of uncertainty, most likely rewarded with a cancellation. Maybe a clean cut for 2022 is better for all parties.

15 minutes ago, livenstu said:

2022 please.  This is also being reported -

Spain's Prime Minister has warned that British holidaymakers won't be allowed into the country until 'the end of the summer'

Where did you read this? It can't be true. Spain needs British and German holidaymakers during summertime. 

Edited by johnybegood
28 minutes ago, livenstu said:

2022 please.  This is also being reported -

Spain's Prime Minister has warned that British holidaymakers won't be allowed into the country until 'the end of the summer'

In may all tourist will be welcome. (12,4% GDP in Spain)

I just got my vaccine in Serbia. I literally just showed up, waited in line for 30 minutes and got my first dose. Next one in 3-5 weeks

A lot of older people don't want a vaccine here cause ???? so it's kinda open to public, when I was there majority of people were under 50. Love my country 😐

4 hours ago, xxialac said:

I can't see why they won't throw everything at trying to still make it happen in September and possibly some positive developments in coming months.

100% they'll hold a smaller set of events then (but bigger than last years Nits' programme).

And perhaps 30% September main Festival can still happen with European acts. It is still in a long time after all, bands and punters will be very keen and the infrastructure is mostly already in place.

It's not up to Primavera. They can't control the virus, or the vaccine, or the governments, or the insurance companies, or bands' decisions, or people's behaviour, and so on ad nauseum.

Honestly, you're clutching at the shadow of a homeopathic straw here.

• Upvote 3

There. Are. No. Big. Festivals. This. Year.

Some fests / promoters might do a series of small scale shows, something under a bigger brand, but no EU country will allow 30k + people with zero distancing this summer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
17 minutes ago, daveje said:

It's not up to Primavera. They can't control the virus, or the vaccine, or the governments, or the insurance companies, or bands' decisions, or people's behaviour, and so on ad nauseum.

Honestly, you're clutching at the shadow of a homeopathic straw here.

Obviously it's not ultimately up to Primavera and I don't think for a moment that it is.

But that's not to say there's nothing they can do.

They can advocate and lobby local government (with whom they have a relationship). They can do trials to breed some more confidence, as they did in December.

Argentina for example legalised abortion recently. The government 100% made the ultimate decision but without the lobbying work from those on the ground it wouldn't have happened.

They can come up with frameworks of how to handle different emerging situations and conduct scenario planning.

They can look into how testing would work if the local government decides that they would allow events to go ahead with rigorous testing and plan for this.

September is in a very long time, it's not likely that everything will come together by then but it's not unreasonable to see what can be done to prepare for different eventualities.

52 minutes ago, Andrej said:

There. Are. No. Big. Festivals. This. Year.

Some fests / promoters might do a series of small scale shows, something under a bigger brand, but no EU country will allow 30k + people with zero distancing this summer.

This!

I think it will be better to cancel all big festivals asap and find solutions for shows with max 10-15k people. They should immediately focus on smaller shows and that will be okay for this summer.

Edited by mashinko

Speaking at the meeting of the Executive Council of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) held in Madrid, the Spanish Prime Minister Mr Sanchez said today: "We are already the ninth country in the world in the vaccination process and one of the first countries in Europe.

"And we are going to advance with the vaccination at the highest rate until reaching 70 per cent of the population with immunity by the end of the summer.

I repeat, September may be unlikely but you can't yet rule it out...

They'll throw the outdoor gigs they put on this past summer, maybe with some improvements -higher capacity- and maybe even with some international bands, but that's it. The sooner they dismiss the idea of a 65k ppl gathering this year, the sooner they can start to develop Primavera Club and Primavera Weekender.