Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

A rumour on another forum (albeit that's all it is at this stage) that it's being cancelled this year.

Any reason given to why this rumour has popped up or just as simple as ‘heard from somebody it’s cancelled’. I’m expecting this is the case, but sure would like to know soon. The hotel thing is pretty damning in itself, mind.

1 minute ago, internetjef said:

Cheers FF, I recognise you from the Glasto chat section I normally spend more time on. hope you are getting on ok in all the madness.

in the event it is bumped to September , is there consensus that it would be the weekend of Sep 11/12? Family also thinking about a small Sep getaway together so might suggest we dodge this weekend if so just in case 

Original thinking was that weekend based on lack of hotel availability.

Now that hotels are available that weekend, I'd say Sep 11/12 is now one of the least likely weekends for the festival, if it happens, within that period.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Any reason given to why this rumour has popped up or just as simple as ‘heard from somebody it’s cancelled’. I’m expecting this is the case, but sure would like to know soon. The hotel thing is pretty damning in itself, mind.

It's a friend of a friend type of rumour and these are obviously often wrong but sometimes right.

Using first principles, you can understand why they may have originally aimed for September 11 at the end of last year i.e. after the vaccine news but before the new variants and slow vaccine rollout and more recently decided either a) more prudent to move timings to October (still great weather) or b) abandoned it altogether.

There is of course a risk that by delaying it beyond the Summer, you have more people vaccinated (great) but more threat of a new wave (not great).

Edited by xxialac

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

For the record, the UK is planning to allow completely full festivals at the point c.60% of the population has been vaccinated i.e. before herd immunity.

If Spain gets to 40% by June, it will easily be at 60% before October.

Bear in mind that by then at least 25% of the UK population will have had Covid too. I would suspect that 25% is also heavily weighted towards the lower risks/younger age groups who haven't been vaccinated.

We're exactly 3 1/2 months away from the festival's original date. I'd like to think we're about a fortnight away from an announcement of sorts.

If the inevitable postponement or cancellation does come then, there might be an issue might for UK punters. If international travel is lifted on May 17, I'd highly doubt that anyone will get a refund or the ability to reschedule flights. A weekend in Barcelona is no bad thing but maybe it would be better if the international travel ban was extended beyond June 7?

How many of us have booked flights?

1 minute ago, Sean1234321 said:

I think people in the UK are getting a bit too excited...yes what Boris said was encouraging, but it relies on a lot of things going to plan and June 21 is essentially a provisional date.

Of course festivals like R&L are going to be talking up the chances of being able to go ahead, but it's in no way definite.

Of course that's right but all the same there are cost implications of R&L committing to go ahead and they must be confident that they are not likely to incur these additional costs i.e. that the risk is small.

He also said yesterday he was 'very confident' on the June 21 date so he is putting his reputation on the line and certainly if it slips past the end of August over two months later which is the timing for Reading.

43 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Of course that's right but all the same there are cost implications of R&L committing to go ahead and they must be confident that they are not likely to incur these additional costs i.e. that the risk is small.

He also said yesterday he was 'very confident' on the June 21 date so he is putting his reputation on the line and certainly if it slips past the end of August over two months later which is the timing for Reading.

What reputation?

Yeah, if you overpromise people they can have what everyone craves which is a Summer with no social distancing...and then you take that away, politically you are toast. His party are just ahead in the polls and that would be dramatically reversed.

He must be very confident. 

ps and yes, he's still a prick off the prick scale.

Edited by xxialac

There has never been any factual indication for a move to September other than self-reinforcing rumours in this thread. The hotels might just've not made the quotas available to partners which would've resulted in their algorithms generating higher pricing for the small number of rooms they had. Or a number of other reasons that weren't even taken into account here.

There will be a number of June festival cancellations in the first two weeks of march, but I dunno if PS will be among them.

The Reading/Leeds announcement is very optimisitc. Sure, festivals might be a possibility in late August in the UK, but festivals of the size of Reading/Leeds would still be very risky with international travel and unvaccinated folks. Depends if Boris can keep his promise too. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

There has never been any factual indication for a move to September other than self-reinforcing rumours in this thread. The hotels might just've not made the quotas available to partners which would've resulted in their algorithms generating higher pricing for the small number of rooms they had. Or a number of other reasons that weren't even taken into account here.

There will be a number of June festival cancellations in the first two weeks of march, but I dunno if PS will be among them.

The Reading/Leeds announcement is very optimisitc. Sure, festivals might be a possibility in late August in the UK, but festivals of the size of Reading/Leeds would still be very risky with international travel and unvaccinated folks. Depends if Boris can keep his promise too. 

Last year this forum called the exact dates of the move to (at the time) August with good sleuthing and the same skills were applied this year. No one said the dates were fact and they were suspicions but there was some circumstantial evidence behind them rather than just rumour.

The best we can hope for is that they plot a path for a festival in September or October and the mood music changes positively along the way.

There's still e.g. the one-shot J&J vaccine to come which looks very good and the EU has plenty of it.

Plus this kind of testing development announced yesterday. 10 minute test with pretty much the same reliability as a PCR

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/23/new-covid-test-delivers-results-three-times-faster-than-lateral-flow

17 hours ago, JIMBO666 said:

not sure if it means anything but there is now decent availability at non-astronomical prices for most of the Forum hotels 8-12th September...

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m still seeing the Princess and Hilton are sold out. The AC has rooms, but they’re 2-3x more expensive than the following weekend. The SB Diagonal also has rooms, more expensive than the following weekend.
The SB’s June Primavera Package is still available, btw.

Not saying I fully buy into the hotels as leading indicator theory, just that I don’t see any big shifts there since the initial rush to September.

Yeah not looking good for Primavera. The other festivals moving to September as well (especially with shared acts) was one of the biggest indicators a September move might be on the cards, so with those not happening I can’t see Primavera happening either. 

Just a matter of time before they pull the plug now surely.