Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

15 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Not too long ago the idea of having an actual working vaccine as early as march seemed like a best best best case scenario. Dream modus. And here we are, having already vaccined 40 million people in februari (!). 

Yes, science, and the NHS are great. 

Edited by Ohjesus
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Nesser said:

I have little to zero idea of the UK politics' idyosincracy and how the vaccine rollout is being deployed but this announcement gives me an inmense 'April-June 2020' deja vu. Does anyone know if Steps 3 and 4 contemplate any social distancing measures?

I believe the final June 21st date implies all social distancing measures will be thrown out and it will be back to ‘life as normal’. Seems incredibly ambitious to me, but I guess we shall see!

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I believe the final June 21st date implies all social distancing measures will be thrown out and it will be back to ‘life as normal’. Seems incredibly ambitious to me, but I guess we shall see!

Yes! Definitely feel slightly freaked by that, but can’t deny I had a little bump of excitement at the prospect 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Nesser said:

I have little to zero idea of the UK politics' idyosincracy and how the vaccine rollout is being deployed but this announcement gives me an inmense 'April-June 2020' deja vu. Does anyone know if Steps 3 and 4 contemplate any social distancing measures?

No, they don't. As I wrote above  - ALL restrictions to be fully lifted and they specifically mention 'large events such as music festivals'.

As long as infection rates do not spike beyond they are predicted too or new variants, then large festivals will be able to go ahead on 21 June.

In practice perhaps this date may slip to July or August but if I were a band I'd be planning with some confidence to do large UK shows in August and September.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

2 months ago, the thought of 18 million vaccinations was incredibly ambitious! Fingers crossed we're all dancing with a pint in hand in the late summer and autumn.

16 hours ago, xxialac said:

More good news from the UK: Whilst the timetable could slip if hospitalisation and death numbers remain high or if a super-infectious new Covid variant emerges, the Government has announced plans for all restrictions to be fully lifted on 21 June including on large events such as musical festivals.

So many on here have given up on 2021, whereas this shows there's hope. Also means there will be UK bands touring in September.

This is a bit ambitious and mostly appeasement for Tory voters, but festivals in the UK seem to be a possibility indeed. However the caveat is still that the AstraZeneca vaccine, which makes up the majority of doses administered in the UK, seems to be less efficacious with some of the mutations. 

That does not mean anything for continental Europe though. 

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 minute ago, Quadrophobia said:

This is a bit ambitious and mostly appeasement for Tory voters, but festivals in the UK seem to be a possibility indeed. However the caveat is still that the AstraZeneca vaccine, which makes up the majority of doses administered in the UK, seems to be less efficacious with some of the mutations. 

That does not mean anything for continental Europe though. 

It does. 

- Bands can't play without tours. If bands are now touring the UK in July, August and September, it allows for more possibilities for bands to play on the continent.

- It will put pressure on other countries to be less cautious. If e.g. Spain is 2 months behind the UK on vaccinations (also need to take into account benefit of almost >30% smaller population) and the UK has announced it will open up fully at the end of June, then Spain could now plan to do the same in August. And Spain needs tourism - it won't be at the cautious end of the spectrum.

Oh and the South Africa strain has turned out this week to be no more infectious a mutation than other strains and we don't know yet about how effective AZ is against the Brazil strain.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It does. 

- Bands can't play without tours. If bands are now touring the UK in July, August and September, it allows for more possibilities for bands to play on the continent.

- It will put pressure on other countries to be less cautious. If e.g. Spain is 2 months behind the UK on vaccinations (also need to take into account benefit of almost >30% smaller population) and the UK has announced it will open up fully at the end of June, then Spain could now plan to do the same in August. And Spain needs tourism - it won't be at the cautious end of the spectrum.

Oh and the South Africa strain has turned out this week to be no more infectious a mutation than other strains and we don't know yet about how effective AZ is against the Brazil strain.

I missed it yesterday, but the UK plan is for indoor gigs from mid May (up to 1000 people at maximum half capacity of a venue)!

18 hours ago, xxialac said:

No, they don't. As I wrote above  - ALL restrictions to be fully lifted and they specifically mention 'large events such as music festivals'.

As long as infection rates do not spike beyond they are predicted too or new variants, then large festivals will be able to go ahead on 21 June.

In practice perhaps this date may slip to July or August but if I were a band I'd be planning with some confidence to do large UK shows in August and September.

All of this is subject to review . Apparently they are going to run controlled test events from April onwards to see how/if things can work. So event organisers may still not know for some months for sure whether they can go ahead. I think this will be the sticking point for festivals - without 100% GO its a big risk, insurance etc

19 minutes ago, thespiral said:

All of this is subject to review . Apparently they are going to run controlled test events from April onwards to see how/if things can work. So event organisers may still not know for some months for sure whether they can go ahead. I think this will be the sticking point for festivals - without 100% GO its a big risk, insurance etc

Major festivals like Reading/Leeds, Creamfields and Parklife have said already they are committing to going ahead.

Edited by xxialac

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Have they said anything recently, as in after yesterdays announcement?

Yep e.g.

https://edmauthority.com/event/festival/creamfields-21-what-you-need-to-know/

This is also good news more locally

https://www.catalannews.com/covid-19/item/40-of-catalan-population-vaccinated-by-june-estimates-health-department

40%. So then you might be half way to herd immunity by summer. If everything goes well. A step in the right direction. I can easily see us all wearing masks and keep social distance until Q4. Even with tourism restarted I see no festivals-as-we-know-it in the near future. Its all gone 22 in my opinion.

10 hours ago, JIMBO666 said:

not sure if it means anything but there is now decent availability at non-astronomical prices for most of the Forum hotels 8-12th September...

1 hour ago, DDave said:

Good spot. All prices back to normal. 

So would the thinking behind this be that September isn’t on?

Morning all. I have been following this thread for last few months with all the uncertainty and in absence of any news from official festival sources. 

Is the consensus that the original June dates 2021 are highly unlikely still? And that maybe either a move to September or a total cancel until next year are the more realistic options.

some of my friends are planning something in the UK for the June primavera weekend this year and they are trying to pin me down on whether I will be able to make it or not. I kind of presumed Primavera wouldn’t be going ahead but thought we might have some official word by now.

I don’t want to commit a couple of hundred quid to this alternative thing in the Uk only to find primavera  miraculously goes ahead on the original dates and I am left with an expensive clash 

any short update on the current consensus from the forum would he really helpful 

cheers

8 hours ago, puckno said:

40%. So then you might be half way to herd immunity by summer. If everything goes well. A step in the right direction. I can easily see us all wearing masks and keep social distance until Q4. Even with tourism restarted I see no festivals-as-we-know-it in the near future. Its all gone 22 in my opinion.

For the record, the UK is planning to allow completely full festivals at the point c.60% of the population has been vaccinated i.e. before herd immunity.

If Spain gets to 40% by June, it will easily be at 60% before October.

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

Morning all. I have been following this thread for last few months with all the uncertainty and in absence of any news from official festival sources. 

Is the consensus that the original June dates 2021 are highly unlikely still? And that maybe either a move to September or a total cancel until next year are the more realistic options.

some of my friends are planning something in the UK for the June primavera weekend this year and they are trying to pin me down on whether I will be able to make it or not. I kind of presumed Primavera wouldn’t be going ahead but thought we might have some official word by now.

I don’t want to commit a couple of hundred quid to this alternative thing in the Uk only to find primavera  miraculously goes ahead on the original dates and I am left with an expensive clash 

any short update on the current consensus from the forum would he really helpful 

cheers

Obviously I can’t say with 100% certainty, but yeah... June ain’t happening, and a September move being possible is still very uncertain. I think you’re pretty safe to double book the June weekend.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Obviously I can’t say with 100% certainty, but yeah... June ain’t happening, and a September move being possible is still very uncertain. I think you’re pretty safe to double book the June weekend.

Cheers FF, I recognise you from the Glasto chat section I normally spend more time on. hope you are getting on ok in all the madness.

in the event it is bumped to September , is there consensus that it would be the weekend of Sep 11/12? Family also thinking about a small Sep getaway together so might suggest we dodge this weekend if so just in case