Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

8 hours ago, puckno said:

97% of (already developed) high viral loads that is. Too late of a catch. There is a reason why even PCR tests do not replace a quarantine.

PCR tests do replace a quarantine. Want to come to Spain today? Take a PCR (or even a much less accurate LAMP test) and no need to quarantine. And case numbers are falling with this policy.

When anyone suggest testing as the solution, there's always a good counter-argument.

When anyone suggest vaccines as the solution, there's always a good counter-argument.

The power will be in combining the effects of both.

Different questions though: the need to quarantine when exposed, and the need to quarantine when travel. In my country you will have to quarantine at both, though you might be released from the last 3 days of a 10 day quarantine if you get at second negative pcr test after 7 days. That is... if you are even allowed to enter the country, most are not at this time. Even so with this being strict, there are a couple of examples of large local outbreaks with the two times negative tested as the source.  Though... different countries have different rules I guess.

Anyway, I agree with you on the power of combination.

On a different note: Israel allow both indoor (max 300 people) and outdoor (max 500 people) concerts from today, to everybody with vaccination passport. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/19/covid-vaccinated-israelis-to-enjoy-bars-and-hotels-with-green-pass  I think there could potentially be a huge outcry for these type solutions from the from the business side in all kind of the people facing economy, when they start to understand  how much this could mean for possibilities for reopening and revenues.

10 minutes ago, puckno said:

Different questions though: the need to quarantine when exposed, and the need to quarantine when travel. In my country you will have to quarantine at both, though you might be released from the last 3 days of a 10 day quarantine if you get at second negative pcr test after 7 days. That is... if you are even allowed to enter the country, most are not at this time. Even so with this being strict, there are a couple of examples of large local outbreaks with the two times negative tested as the source.  Though... different countries have different rules I guess.

Anyway, I agree with you on the power of combination.

On a different note: Israel allow both indoor (max 300 people) and outdoor (max 500 people) concerts from today, to everybody with vaccination passport. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/19/covid-vaccinated-israelis-to-enjoy-bars-and-hotels-with-green-pass  I think there could potentially be a huge outcry for these type solutions from the from the business side in all kind of the people facing economy, when they start to understand  how much this could mean for possibilities for reopening and revenues.

Good points.

I'm sure Spain will get to more than 60% of adult population vaccinated by September, very positive there will be low incidence of covid by September and am quite positive that testing will be much better/cheaper by September.

Definitely mass events will go ahead in September. Too soon to be confident if that means 6,000 or 60,000 people.

The recent news on a) vaccination reducing transmission and b) the first dose of the vaccine being very effective are both massive. They support being able to open mass events sooner than had been forecast.

50 minutes ago, xxialac said:

PCR tests do replace a quarantine. Want to come to Spain today? Take a PCR (or even a much less accurate LAMP test) and no need to quarantine. And case numbers are falling with this policy.

You've got wrong info, it's really not that easy. People from the UK are not allowed to enter Spain (no flights right now), people from Brazil and South Africa have to quarantine for 10 days (PCR tests can shorten the quarantine to 7 days but not replace it completely). Even most of the Spanish residents cannot move between regions (so for example people from Catalonia are not allowed to leave unless they have a justified reason).

35 minutes ago, Newjem said:

You've got wrong info, it's really not that easy. People from the UK are not allowed to enter Spain (no flights right now), people from Brazil and South Africa have to quarantine for 10 days (PCR tests can shorten the quarantine to 7 days but not replace it completely). Even most of the Spanish residents cannot move between regions (so for example people from Catalonia are not allowed to leave unless they have a justified reason).

I was replying to the blanket statement that PCR cannot replace quarantine by pointing to the example of international travel. Here there are many times when it can. You are right there are exceptions - Brazil and SA variants require a special measure at the moment. But they are the exception, not the rule.  2 countries out of 195. 

So Spain overwhelmingly does not have a quarantine rule. It has a testing rule.

And you've got wrong info on 'no flights right now' on the UK which is the only country with the measures you referred to. There's literally a flight from the UK to Barcelona departing in a few hours time. 

image.thumb.png.2c3408206ae0a7131997484fdf349557.png

Edited by xxialac

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I was replying to the blanket statement that PCR cannot replace quarantine by pointing to the example of international travel. Here there are many times when it can. You are right there are exceptions - Brazil and SA variants require a special measure at the moment. But they are the exception, not the rule.  2 countries out of 195. 

So Spain overwhelmingly does not have a quarantine rule. It has a testing rule.

And you've got wrong info on 'no flights right now' on the UK which is the only country with the measures you referred to. There's literally a flight from the UK to Barcelona departing in a few hours time. 

image.thumb.png.2c3408206ae0a7131997484fdf349557.png

Cripes I’m tempted 

17 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

Cripes I’m tempted 

What Newjem said was mostly right on UK-Spain flights though. According to Spanish rules, they are only for nationals and residents at the moment and then on the UK side, no travel allowed unless for good reason.

But for most other countries, it's really easy to come and go.

Edited by xxialac

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What Newjem said was mostly right on UK-Spain flights though. With Spanish rules, they are only for nationals and residents at the moment and then on the UK side, no travel allowed unless for good reason.

But for most other countries, it's really easy to come and go.

I think we are both kind of right.

I just think you present it like Spain is fully open to foreign visitors. Let's face it, it's not. It's not even 2 out of 195 as you referred in your previous reply. This is from CNN: 'Only residents from the European Union, alongside Australia, China, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, Thailand and Uruguay are allowed to enter Spain without having to undergo quarantine.' But there are also certain countries within the EU which are consider high-risk right now and their citizens are not permitted to enter Spain (like us, Czechs).

1 hour ago, Newjem said:

I think we are both kind of right.

I just think you present it like Spain is fully open to foreign visitors. Let's face it, it's not. It's not even 2 out of 195 as you referred in your previous reply. This is from CNN: 'Only residents from the European Union, alongside Australia, China, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, Thailand and Uruguay are allowed to enter Spain without having to undergo quarantine.' But there are also certain countries within the EU which are consider high-risk right now and their citizens are not permitted to enter Spain (like us, Czechs).

Ah, yes you're right I had overstated.

But that CNN post is misleading as quarantine is still barely used at all as a tool. Only Brazil and South Africa visitors have to quarantine. There is no quarantine from those countries not on the list - they are banned unless they have a compelling reason.

So the point remains that where travel is allowed (30 countries), Spain uses testing not quarantine by far as the main measure. PCR tests do replace quarantine in all but two cases.

5 hours ago, scuzzboy said:

Rolling Blackouts CF, who had some UK dates in May / June around their performance at Primavera have just announced a UK date in September. Hmmm... 

Also Porridge Radio rescheduled their tour to 2022. It includes a PS organised show in Barcelona planned for May 2022, which means that either PS think that 2021 will happen (June or September) or that Porridge Radio will not be part of the lineup if postponed again to 2022 

7 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Also Porridge Radio rescheduled their tour to 2022. It includes a PS organised show in Barcelona planned for May 2022, which means that either PS think that 2021 will happen (June or September) or that Porridge Radio will not be part of the lineup if postponed again to 2022 

They are supposed to tour with Idles this year, don't know if their own tour in 2022 makes it completely impossivle for them to perform at PS22 too, if the Idles dates get moved to 2022. PS might wait for that concert to sell out though. 

In other news, Germany is experiencing what is likely the beginning of a mutant caused third wave. The mutations make up over a third of cases in France too. There is no possibility this won't eventually spread to Spain. We might not even experience the comparably hassle-free summer we had in 2020 this year, because the lockdowns didnt work properly in many places. Shoot the messenger, but good news is scarce right now.

12 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

They are supposed to tour with Idles this year, don't know if their own tour in 2022 makes it completely impossivle for them to perform at PS22 too, if the Idles dates get moved to 2022. PS might wait for that concert to sell out though. 

In other news, Germany is experiencing what is likely the beginning of a mutant caused third wave. The mutations make up over a third of cases in France too. There is no possibility this won't eventually spread to Spain. We might not even experience the comparably hassle-free summer we had in 2020 this year, because the lockdowns didnt work properly in many places. Shoot the messenger, but good news is scarce right now.

Good news is everywhere Q 🙂

Everything I've read suggests the vaccines are stopping almost all serious illness even with the "mutants". Despite the slow start in some countries, most EU countries should be able to vaccinate the vast majority of those who were likely to end up in hospital before the summer. The UK is still on target to vaccinate ALL adults by July. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bluenova said:

Everything I've read suggests the vaccines are stopping almost all serious illness even with the "mutants". Despite the slow start in some countries, most EU countries should be able to vaccinate the vast majority of those who were likely to end up in hospital before the summer. The UK is still on target to vaccinate ALL adults by July. 

Yes. On the whole this has been one of the best weeks for good covid news in recent memory.

The vaccines are working better than had been hoped for crucially in terms of reducing symptomatic infection - cannot understate how important this is - but also in terms of reducing hospitalisations. And the UK has shown how quickly a vaccine programme can move once you have the supply. And the South Africa variant now shown to be not as bad as feared. And cases generally continuing to fall.

1 hour ago, bluenova said:

At this rate, the only people at Primavera in September will be Brits! 😀

Edit: what a terrible thought 😆

• Upvote 1

I was talking about good news for Primavera specifically.

I'm not saying the vaccines aren't good. They are. But the distribution still does not catch up. 

Although many people here think otherwise, what I know from my industry contacts, five to six months is what it takes to actually plan a festival this size. Everyone I've asked who works in labels, booking agencys and with festival promoters agrees on this. And we are nearing the six months mark with absolutely no planning certainty. The promises of continental European governments mean nothing, until we see vaccination actually speeding up. It has been two months and in the majority of continental European countries, the vaccination rate still reamins below 5%, with both doses administered to only half of those. 

Festivals will only be able to safely plan once the vaccination rate is actually developing positively, which it will most probably not to before the second quarter, which would be too late.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I was talking about good news for Primavera specifically.

I'm not saying the vaccines aren't good. They are. But the distribution still does not catch up. 

Although many people here think otherwise, what I know from my industry contacts, five to six months is what it takes to actually plan a festival this size. Everyone I've asked who works in labels, booking agencys and with festival promoters agrees on this. And we are nearing the six months mark with absolutely no planning certainty. The promises of continental European governments mean nothing, until we see vaccination actually speeding up. It has been two months and in the majority of continental European countries, the vaccination rate still reamins below 5%, with both doses administered to only half of those. 

Festivals will only be able to safely plan once the vaccination rate is actually developing positively, which it will most probably not to before the second quarter, which would be too late.

Fair comments but how did they move from June to August last year? The new date was surely set with less than 5-6 months planning...or if it wasn't, they ended up pulling the plug very close to the time and far sooner than 6 months.

Plus haven't they already completed a lot of planning + they can draw on 20 years of experience of doing this + they have a pre-built venue too.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Fair comments but how did they move from June to August last year? The new date was surely set with less than 5-6 months planning...or if it wasn't, they ended up pulling the plug very close to the time and far sooner than 6 months.

Plus haven't they already completed a lot of planning + they can draw on 20 years of experience of doing this + they have a pre-built venue too.

Last year they did indeed have stuff planned already, which made the move possible. Also, noone can say if it wouldve actually worked out. This year on the other hand, concrete planning cannot start, until there is planning security. 

Planning a festival is not something you can rush in less time than it normally takes. There are certain established supply chains for goods and services, an administrative process about concessions, stakeholder management, booking and band management, ticketing and customer support, artist care and so on and so on. It takes time to arrange such things and it takes a lot of ressources to keep a planning process running. If they don't have any certainty the festival could go ahead, it would make no sense to trigger a costly planning process. There is so much work to be done between announcing a line up and then actually making it happen that all of these bands play. That can be quite a task, even under normal circumstances.

Edited by Quadrophobia

More good news from the UK: Whilst the timetable could slip if hospitalisation and death numbers remain high or if a super-infectious new Covid variant emerges, the Government has announced plans for all restrictions to be fully lifted on 21 June including on large events such as musical festivals.

So many on here have given up on 2021, whereas this shows there's hope. Also means there will be UK bands touring in September.

• Upvote 3