Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

14 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Mobile World Congress goes ahead halving its capacity and being a "touchless" event. Very similar to what we can expect at a festival, so great news.

Meanwhile, a totally unrelated event like Hellfest has been cancelled.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-la-loire/nantes-44000/entretien-hellfest-ben-barbaud-confirme-que-le-hellfest-2021-n-aura-pas-lieu-7159602

Yes but these are June events. We already knew June was impossible.

Mid-September doesn't seem that much later than June superficially but those 3+ extra months are a very long period in the context of Covid and a lot can change e.g. development of more reliable tests, much higher % of population vaccinated (soon there will be a 'one-shot' vaccine available and Spain is aiming to have offered to all adults by September) and cases being low at the 'decision point'. 

I think MWC going ahead at all is a positive - it wouldn't have happened at all with a cautious local government and ultimately the local government will decide. And it points to them supporting testing for events. Let's hope testing improves...

Edited by xxialac

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

(soon there will be a 'one-shot' vaccine available and Spain is aiming to have offered to all adults by September) and cases being low at the 'decision point'. 

Back in December, PM said the aim was to have 15-20 million people vaccinated in Spain by the end of May. I don't know if we'll get to that number or not but there have been issues with the distribution so far. Based on how things are developing here I'm pretty sure that by September will turn into from September

2 minutes ago, Nesser said:

by September will turn into from September

That doesn't make sense. From September implies they're only starting then and they're already vaccinating and at a good % of what limited supplies they have available.

The problems with the supply are being resolved.

The EMA will approve the one shot J and J next month and by the end of the Summer most adults in Spain should get a vaccine. 

forgive me if this has been covered before, but wouldn't things need to be safe long before the gates open?

i don't know the machinations of a festival and how far in advance things work, but presumably it takes a long time to get to wednesday night in the parc del forum - like, if PS staf, etc, are all working from home/locked down, is the festival planning even progressing as normal?

9 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

forgive me if this has been covered before, but wouldn't things need to be safe long before the gates open?

i don't know the machinations of a festival and how far in advance things work, but presumably it takes a long time to get to wednesday night in the parc del forum - like, if PS staf, etc, are all working from home/locked down, is the festival planning even progressing as normal?

Barcelona is far from locked down. Restaurants, gyms, shops, schools all open. And in any case planning a festival doesn't need people to be in the office and they've been doing this for 20 years.

I suspect they need to make a decision on September no later than June but probably closer to April. They won't have too much problem replacing bands that pull out.

US is ahead of EU in terms of vaccination. Fauci (from article yesterday) outlined how they think about return to normality. Quote; "... Americans might be able to get back to below capacity theaters and indoor dining somewhere between the fall and the end of the year ..."   https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fauci-idUSKBN2AI2U3

"Below capacity theathers... between fall and christmas"

It just show how mass gatherings not really in the forefront of a reopening.

11 minutes ago, puckno said:

US is ahead of EU in terms of vaccination. Fauci (from article yesterday) outlined how they think about return to normality. Quote; "... Americans might be able to get back to below capacity theaters and indoor dining somewhere between the fall and the end of the year ..."   https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fauci-idUSKBN2AI2U3

Interesting but also worth noting that below capacity theatres and indoor dining are open in Barcelona...today!

1 hour ago, puckno said:

30 minutes later with this announcement, do you still think similarities with the US or that below capacity theatres in Spain not until between fall and christmas? : )

8 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I'm afraid normal concerts like we knew them won't return before next fall/winter. 😞 

Just so I understand, within the last hour they've announced non socially distanced concerts in April 2021 yet you don't expect concerts to return to normal until September 2022 at the earliest??

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Just so I understand, within the last hour they've announced non socially distanced concerts in April 2021 yet you don't expect concerts to return to normal until September 2022 at the earliest??

Nonono! I meant this fall. 2021. I'm thinking that we'll be okay by oktober/november, but not earlier. 

6 minutes ago, Degu said:

WITH DISTANCE. 

Ah that does seem to be the case.

When I booked I could choose any seat and nothing in the announcement on this but now see they do mention some distancing (not full social distancing it seems though) if you book via Dice.

Edited by xxialac

6 minutes ago, Degu said:

Thanks. 

Could be wrong but based on the tickets they're saying are available it looks about 2/3rd full so barely any social distancing and definitely not 2 metres (and I doubt 1 metre either really).

I'm really glad they keep putting on shows cause it proves they are working in several things aside the big festival but they're just seven (7) shows in a regular week. There are like 10 or 20 shows per month in Madrid or Barcelona so this is great but no further prove of anything towards mass gatherings I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

30 minutes later with this announcement, do you still think similarities with the US or that below capacity theatres in Spain not until between fall and christmas? : )

Well, I understand Comical Ali is brought into the Primavera organisation to bring a glimpse of hope and positivity into the world.

3 hours ago, burnleynotbarcelona said:

Well, well, well.

97% reliability from today's 78% reliability

The potential of these tests being developed what many of have been banging on about on here. 

If they can get these cheap enough by September, it feels like the key to mass events re-opening.