Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

My Bloody Valentine say they will release a new album when Corona is over so this shit is officially staying forever.

It should by now be crystal clear that no major Festival in mainland Europe will happen in 2021, unless some governments become reckless. 

The only possibility would have been a Zero Covid strategy and by now it is too late for that. Guess private profit was too dear for governments after all. Imagine we had just shut down properly accrow Europe in October, we could've had all our freedoms back by now, fight outbreaks locally and look forward to PS2021. But you know the economy...

Edited by Quadrophobia

3 hours ago, mashinko said:

And your point is? Bands can come to Spain, but not to Croatia? 

Maybe I'm wrong, but Spain is one of the worst in Europe in corona cases

We get it, you don't think there's gonna be a festival season this year. And in fairness, there's a good chance you'll be right. I just don't get the need to keep reminding everyone so vehemently across multiple threads. I don't think any country's current situation has relevance to another right now. We'll see. Just let people have a bit of hope without killing their buzz everytime. I'm sure you hope you're wrong...

A Croatian promoter may think there's 1% chance but festivals are being moved or arranged for September and evidently other promoters think there's a higher than 1% chance.

I'm sure it's a low probability for September but 1% feels too low to me. There's a lot that can change between now and than and the data coming out of Israel is looking extremely positive that vaccinated people don't transmit -  and most of the Brits that come in September will have been vaccinated. Every vaccinated person reduces the risk of a superspreading event.

And more crucially it may be possible to test every attendee by then. At a certain point a local government will decide the risk is low enough.

If not the megafestivals, there's also the possibility that capacity-capped smaller festivals can happen at the end of the Summer e.g. End of The Road or even a 10,000 capacity mini Primavera at the Forum (would be the same size as pre-2005) and with prior testing. Barcelona local govt allowed 1,000 capacity events last year and that was without vaccines, testing, or the lower case numbers we can expect in September.

30 minutes ago, xxialac said:

10,000 capacity mini Primavera at the Forum

There is absolutely zero chance of this happening as Primavera Sound under the current direction of the festival. The 20th edition will be a full-sized event or won't be, which does not mean there won't be another Nits del Forum/Primavera Weekender/some new iteration. 

3 minutes ago, Nesser said:

There is absolutely zero chance of this happening as Primavera Sound under the current direction of the festival. The 20th edition will be a full-sized event or won't be, which does not mean there won't be another Nits del Forum/Primavera Weekender/some new iteration. 

If you read my post again, I didn't say it would be called Primavera Sound. 

Then it won't be Primavera Sound, it'll be something completely different. And another year where PS doesn't happen.

If PS organises a different festival in Barcelona this year while the main PS doesn't happen, then it's not the best way to generate goodwill for the people who've already paid for a ticket.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, daveje said:

Then it won't be Primavera Sound, it'll be something completely different. And another year where PS doesn't happen.

If PS organises a different festival in Barcelona this year while the main PS doesn't happen, then it's not the best way to generate goodwill for the people who've already paid for a ticket.

I don't see what the problem would be. If the government says e.g. you are allowed to hold a 5,000 or 10,000 person event, it would seem incredibly mean-spirited for people to deny them that.

It's not like they don't want to run the main Primavera Sound. They do. They're just being prevented from doing so by a pandemic beyond their control. 

If you see if from their side, how can they function as a business if they had barely any income last year, don't know what requirements governments will set, at what capacity, what security measures, on which date things ease etc.

Let them run their Primavera XS, PS Weekender or whatever they want to call it. It's not a greedy side-grab, it could help keep them afloat for next year and is a way to allow some people to enjoy live music rather than no people.

Edited by xxialac

35 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Mobile World Congress (biggest business event in Barcelona, if not Spain) in July are hoping to go ahead and have now made this requirement of people coming:

"All attendees will be required to provide proof of a recent, negative Covid test".

Got a ticket link? I’ll go to anything. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Maybe the festival doesn't have to decide in March and can wait much longer to decide on whether to go ahead than everyone seems to think (and IoW is a camping festival, which is perhaps even more complicated...). 

image.png.15b18b28de6768adc7a2485e22f7d8d4.png

Those ain't the 80s, you won't move 40k people from all Europe with 3 weeks in advance, hell. This applies even more for non-camping festivals!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm not saying the decision can be made 3 weeks before but perhaps 6 months before is too conservative...

It depends. IMO the current sentiment is conservative and hence correct: I'd rather be at peace in february and hold my horses til september / 2022, rather than be hopeful until april and then die inside once again: it is more healthy.

This being said, I believe that the current mood is the most responsible attitude some festivals can show: just lay low, do nothing but remember the audience you are still standing and that's it - no hype, no false hope and stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

It depends. IMO the current sentiment is conservative and hence correct: I'd rather be at peace in february and hold my horses til september / 2022, rather than be hopeful until april and then die inside once again: it is more healthy.

This being said, I believe that the current mood is the most responsible attitude some festivals can show: just lay low, do nothing but remember the audience you are still standing and that's it - no hype, no false hope and stuff.

Totally agree.

There are on the other hand some entitled people to contend with e.g. on a reddit forum they're already screaming that the festival hasn't offered them for a refund and that the organisers are the offspring of satan.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Maybe the festival doesn't have to decide in March and can wait much longer to decide on whether to go ahead than everyone seems to think (and IoW is a camping festival, which is perhaps even more complicated...). 

image.png.15b18b28de6768adc7a2485e22f7d8d4.png

I think unfortunately for Primavera so many of their ticketholders are coming from around Europe and elsewhere that they'd need to make some sort of decision well in advance to take that into consideration. It just wouldn't work for them to have a late confirmation date with so many travel and refund issues for their punters to deal with.

Most UK festivals are almost exclusively UK attendees, which definitely works in their/our favour. I can definitely see some happening towards the end of summer.

16 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think unfortunately for Primavera so many of their ticketholders are coming from around Europe and elsewhere that they'd need to make some sort of decision well in advance to take that into consideration. It just wouldn't work for them to have a late confirmation date with so many travel and refund issues for their punters to deal with.

Most UK festivals are almost exclusively UK attendees, which definitely works in their/our favour. I can definitely see some happening towards the end of summer.

I suppose I was seeing it as more that Primavera can hold off till later than forecast, rather than being able to have a later confirmation than forecast.

I still think they will move the date to September in the next few weeks.

Yeah, that's true on the nature of a UK festival audience. I'm hopeful for End of The Road but it's still far from certain as you can't social distance.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, xxialac said:

Mobile World Congress (biggest business event in Barcelona, if not Spain) in July are hoping to go ahead and have now made this requirement of people coming:

"All attendees will be required to provide proof of a recent, negative Covid test".

Well that's at least good, will be a massive boom for the local prostitutes.

Just quickly wanna add that the IOW organizer misses the point completely. Sure, they could pull it  off with their regular small number of boring British acts on an island in a country with admirable vaccination progress. The point is, everyone else cant. But since the Covid discussion is apparently stuck in an infinite loop, we might as well start discussing bands again.

I Can't believe noone has yet mentioned that Modest Mouse are coming to Europe in November, which sounds like a new Album, which would make them a strong likelihood for PS22

Edited by Quadrophobia

3 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Just quickly wanna add that the IOW organizer misses the point completely. Sure, they could pull it  off with their regular small number of boring British acts on an island in a country with admirable vaccination progress. The point is, everyone else cant. But since the Covid discussion is apparently stuck in an infinite loop, we might as well start discussing bands again.

I Can't believe noone has yet mentioned that Modest Mouse are coming to Europe in November, which sounds like a new Album, which would make them a strong likelihood for PS22

IoW is English-centric and English-based. Really never met a non-UK attender.

About Modest Mouse, holy smokes, I knew nothing... I guess that two years off the circuit really had some effects on me

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Somebody on Reddit is saying we’re getting an update/news on Friday (but no info other than that).

I’m guessing they’re gonna go ahead with the push back to September, especially now that other festivals seem to be making that call too.

Seems inevitable, yes.

Will be the fourth time they're having to pull together a lineup...what a 'mare!

9 hours ago, Newjem said:

and won't be the last time if they really want to move it to September...

Yep. I know it’s easier said than done to just say ‘no festival this year - 2022 instead’ but I’ll be a little annoyed at a move to September as I just can’t see it happening and at this point, I doubt they realistically can either.