Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

24 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

whats the latest murmmerings on prima ? is it on ? likely to be cancelled? got 5 of us going and we trying to figure out whats going on!

Nothing official, all based on assumptions here:

June- the general consensus is that it's not gonna happen, too soon.

There are roumors about the second weekend of September being the postponed date, also not official.

Whether this one will happen- no one knows. Depends on too many things we don't know yes. So basically it's a question of how optimistic you are

1 minute ago, TiZuff said:

well i was adamant glastonbury was happening this year, so i dont believe in my own optimism anymore 😄

Yeah, I was the optimistic one that thought in June that August 20 will happen, and in august  that June 21 will happen... so dont trust me either (although im getting less and less optimistic about September)

32 minutes ago, Andrej said:

With each day passing, its clearer that no festival will take place this year. Coachella didnt even want to try for October 2021, immediately went for April 2022.

You can't compare Europe to the US, things are shittier over there.

But yes, each day passing makes the miracle we need for it to happen look even bigger

2 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

You can't compare Europe to the US, things are shittier over there.

But yes, each day passing makes the miracle we need for it to happen look even bigger

Do you really think the situation in the US is so much worse? Lots of European countries have more deaths per 1 Mil. than the US and others are close to that number. I also think that Europe is struggling with the virus much more right now because of the new mutations and vaccination problems.

Edited by Newjem

I'm starting to be sceptical over the chances of a September shift. Not because of the virus, I remain relatively positive that we could see events later in the year but it feels like it could be a logistical nightmare for act availability and managing the inevitable refunds for those who either can't make it or don't like the look of a potentially very different lineup. I guess it would sell out whatever the lineup though? It all just feels like it might be too impractical or the next 7/8 months too uncertain, to move dates, which seems to be the stance Coachella have taken. I dunno. Everything's a guess at the moment, isn't it? 

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm starting to be sceptical over the chances of a September shift. Not because of the virus, I remain relatively positive that we could see events later in the year but it feels like it could be a logistical nightmare for act availability and managing the inevitable refunds for those who either can't make it or don't like the look of a potentially very different lineup. I guess it would sell out whatever the lineup though? It all just feels like it might be too impractical or the next 7/8 months too uncertain, to move dates, which seems to be the stance Coachella have taken. I dunno. Everything's a guess at the moment, isn't it? 

They announced moving 2020 to August about 8 weeks before the May one was due to take place. The acts will come, and so will the punters.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ahh, really? Ok, that's impressive, if a little inconvenient for punters, thanks Dental 

Think Dental meant 8 weeks before May timing...but 20 weeks before for the new August date.

If they re-arrange this year, we will surely have even more notice as it's more obvious June can't happen. I'd surprised if they announce a new date any late than by February.

The only decision they need to make at this stage is whether they’d be better off not wasting their time money and resources on organising a september date and just leaving it till 2022

the september 2021 dates are likely to go the same way as the august 2020 ones. Euro vaccination hasnt taken off and any window to get the required people vaccinated is closing by the day. To the extent that its already nearly impossible to see september as realistic.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The only decision they need to make at this stage is whether they’d be better off not wasting their time money and resources on organising a september date and just leaving it till 2022

the september 2021 dates are likely to go the same way as the august 2020 ones. Euro vaccination hasnt taken off and any window to get the required people vaccinated is closing by the day. To the extent that its already nearly impossible to see september as realistic.

Surely things will speed up - all the vaccine providers are desperately trying to increase supply, and there are other vaccines coming online. The UK has hit almost 500k vaccinations a day recently, which is around 15m people a month.

It would not surprise me to see other countries in the EU hit those kind of figures within a couple of months. The UK have announced new manufacturing sites for two new vaccines in just the last week - I really can't believe the other countries in the EU are sitting around waiting for us to hand over more AstraZenica shots - they must be doing similar.

At the moment everyone is panicking because we just see vaccination problems, without seeing the benefits. Once those vaccines start filtering through, and we see deaths/hospital admissions drop dramatically, and it'll be clear just how fast things can change - at that point the autumn will look a lot more promising.

Edited by bluenova

20 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the added possibility of testing as a measure.

Who's to say there won't be good tests by 8 months time and which opens up potential for controlled events.  

And do we know for sure that mass events will only open up with 70% of vaccinations done? Maybe the authorities will allow it at a slightly lower number achieved, in combination with added safety measures.

There's always a balance with protecting the economy after all. 

Also the UK is now up to 500k vaccines a day.

If Spain can get up to that level once the vaccines are more available, they'd be able to give the whole adult population 2 doses in 148 days (with that number lowered thanks to vaccinations already completed)

The suggested September festival dates are 230 days away...

(edit: now see Bluenova had the same observation)

Edited by xxialac

44 minutes ago, Hannah990 said:

I can see this being a trend. Why would festivals risk planning this year? 2022 it is methinks

If you run a festival, you can make a profit that can make up for last year's loss. If you don't run a festival, you guarantee a loss to add to last year's loss. Some festivals won't be able to survive with no income for 2 years.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

If you run a festival, you can make a profit that can make up for last year's loss. If you don't run a festival, you guarantee a loss to add to last year's loss. Some festivals won't be able to survive with no income for 2 years.

Agreed - think even glasto said they had concerns 

In my opinion mass events wont be happening until all adults have had the opportunity to have a vaccine. And 2 doses at that. In the UK that is october at an absolute best case secenario. In europe it is into 2022. I will add that i would love to be proven wrong!

tourism will come back long before mass events are allowed and that will be enough to keep most people happy.

the new vaccines are yet to be approved and then have to be brought on stream once they are. Then europe has to approve them & use them too. That could be months before they even begin to be used. Prima will need to call it for sure in June for September and theyve not even officially moved it yet. 

its not impossible but it is honestly exceptionally unlikely

Edited by Memory Man

18 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

In my opinion mass events wont be happening until all adults have had the opportunity to have a vaccine. And 2 doses at that. In the UK that is october at an absolute best case secenario. In europe it is into 2022. I will add that i would love to be proven wrong!

Spain has 20 million fewer people than the UK, which should help with getting to the required vaccinated number. Maybe they can get there by around Sep/Oct.

At the moment, it's been far from a success but in part as there is a lack of supply - which should ease - and they are trying to do two doses. Also imagine it's much quicker to vaccinate younger people than people in care homes etc.

Edited by xxialac

I used to be on the testing side of things but with these new variants it just feels too dangerous to allow a potentially super spreader event to take place within a large, international group of mostly unvaccinated people, given prima/festival audiences are in the main under 40s ie the last people to get vaccines

it also feels pointless when those people would likely be due their vaccines possibly within weeks of the september dates. We can and will be told to wait till 2022 imo.

any testing would need to be instant and 100% reliable, is that realistic? Genuinely dont know but i assume not

finally if we are all vaccinated by september but prima needs to cancel by june or july at the latest then that isnt compatible unless there is absolute certainty in June that the vaccines are protecting in the way they should and that everyone will definitely have had them by September

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

"The aim was still to vaccinate 70% of adults in the EU by the end of summer" the President of the EU said last night. The audience for Primavera is overwhelmingly EU and UK citizens

One of the problems is we don't know what the likely formula is.

It could be that 70% of adults vaccinated + 100% tested is enough. And we will be able to accurately estimate how many will have been vaccinated by September in June.

The mood will change when case numbers change too. What if there are barely any cases in June at the decision point?

Or what about...a Primavera that is only open to vaccinated people? Seems unthinkable now but it could become the norm as the vaccinated become the majority.

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Or what about...a Primavera that is only open to vaccinated people? Seems unthinkable now but it could become the norm as the vaccinated become the majority.

The only people who won't be vaccinated by then are people under 30. What age group buys the most tickets for Primavera?

3 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

The only people who won't be vaccinated by then are people under 30. What age group buys the most tickets for Primavera?

Can't say that as an absolute fact. The speed at which things have happened in this crisis have surprised people, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. I expect also at a certain point vaccination (perhaps once they've done the 50+) will stop being 'by age' and will be about the individual registering for a test, going to a mass vaccination centre etc which will mean those 20somethings keenest to be vaccinated will no longer have to wait until the end.

If Spain can get up to 500,000 vax/day (current rate in UK), they will get the numbers done in time. And regions in Spain won't all move at the same pace - perhaps Catalunya will be faster.