Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

18 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Vaccination is slow everywhere, very slow. Apart from Israel and a few other places. With this tempo, not much will change before the summer....nice weather and a bit of herd immunity will slow everything down, but not enough that you can have 35,000 people in one place without any distances. Its not gonna happen before spring 2022.

honestly i'm pessimistic also for 2022

21 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Vaccination is slow everywhere, very slow. Apart from Israel and a few other places. With this tempo, not much will change before the summer....nice weather and a bit of herd immunity will slow everything down, but not enough that you can have 35,000 people in one place without any distances. Its not gonna happen before spring 2022.

This is the most likely scenario. The only other one is that ALL European countries impose massive scale lockdowns, including shutting down industries and all non-essential services for several weeks so infections go down to near-nil. And that is very unlikely.

2022 might even be affected negatively if it turns out vaccines do not yield protection long enough and people get sloppy. 

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 hour ago, Andrej said:

The UK went from 100k a week at the start of 2021, to 100k a day by the 11th and has now hit 350k+ a day. They're still expecting to target everyone over 50, and everyone over 16 with health issues, by the end of March. Those groups account for nearly 100% of deaths, and the vast majority of hospital admissions. That should make a massive difference.

It obviously takes a little while to get the infrastructure sorted, and supply lines, but as long as the vaccines are being manufactured, most EU countries should be able to gear up in a similar fashion. 

Wallowing in gloom about 2022, whose festival season is an entire eighteen months away is completely ridiculous.

Festivals will of course happen then because every country will have its shit sorted out and we'll have a better idea of how the vaccine has been rolled out, how the virus works, we'll probably have amazing testing, EU countries will be a lot more on the same level.

The thing people should be focused on is if festivals who don't hold a 2021 edition can even survive as a business to hold an event for 2022. This is especially important for smaller/mid level festivals who don't have huge investment behind them and aren't getting government support.

• Upvote 3

Absolutely. I worry for the sector. How many businesses could survive 3 years with 1 years' worth of income?

Obviously this is a festival in Spain so one thing that can't go badly is the in-country vaccine programme.

Spain is actually being pretty damn efficient given their limited number of doses so far, as this graph shows.

image.png.2277defd5b6f5e219b6f322b305073f5.png

Edited by xxialac

Some history to change the mood, if you like Broken Social Scene: in a discussion with Wavelength Music Series artistic director (from Toronto), he recalls the very first time that BSS performed on stage 🙂

https://festileaks.com/2021/01/wavelengths-artistic-director-shares-his-5-most-memorable-performances-ever/

I think I am making peace with the fact nothing is going to happen , not on the scale of Primavera anyway.

Listening to Colin Greenwood on BBC radio this morning and while the vaccine is this supposed beacon of hope, the idea of bands managing to get the insurance for them and their crew is going to be difficult. In some respects there is a model they can adapt from the big budget film productions that have happened. Test on set, bubbles etc...but it would have to be a small small festival. 

Id rather just know now. 

Did I heard the deadline for confirming festivals is March? 

I can't see why they won't throw everything at trying to still make it happen in September and possibly some positive developments in coming months.

100% they'll hold a smaller set of events then (but bigger than last years Nits' programme).

And perhaps 30% September main Festival can still happen with European acts. It is still in a long time after all, bands and punters will be very keen and the infrastructure is mostly already in place.

Edited by xxialac

15 minutes ago, livenstu said:

2022 please.  This is also being reported -

Spain's Prime Minister has warned that British holidaymakers won't be allowed into the country until 'the end of the summer'

Where did you read this? It can't be true. Spain needs British and German holidaymakers during summertime. 

Edited by johnybegood

28 minutes ago, livenstu said:

2022 please.  This is also being reported -

Spain's Prime Minister has warned that British holidaymakers won't be allowed into the country until 'the end of the summer'

In may all tourist will be welcome. (12,4% GDP in Spain)

I just got my vaccine in Serbia. I literally just showed up, waited in line for 30 minutes and got my first dose. Next one in 3-5 weeks

A lot of older people don't want a vaccine here cause ???? so it's kinda open to public, when I was there majority of people were under 50. Love my country 😐

4 hours ago, xxialac said:

I can't see why they won't throw everything at trying to still make it happen in September and possibly some positive developments in coming months.

100% they'll hold a smaller set of events then (but bigger than last years Nits' programme).

And perhaps 30% September main Festival can still happen with European acts. It is still in a long time after all, bands and punters will be very keen and the infrastructure is mostly already in place.

It's not up to Primavera. They can't control the virus, or the vaccine, or the governments, or the insurance companies, or bands' decisions, or people's behaviour, and so on ad nauseum.

Honestly, you're clutching at the shadow of a homeopathic straw here.

• Upvote 3