Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

10 hours ago, lighthouse said:

September should definitely be okay. 

I'm still highly skeptical. I don't see at all how this should play out. We are expecting vaccination to reach a critical threshhold sometime in autumn, not accounting for the fact that the majority of PS atendees are young and thus the last to be vaccinated, making it close to impossible to achieve herd immunity. 
Even with a rigid test scheme, the chances of an infection slipping into huge crowds and causing an almost uncontrollable outbreak are pretty hight. Also, PS would have to pay a lot of money for that they're not getting back since the majority of ticketholders will just keept their tickets and only a small fraction will go into a new sale where they can price in the tests. 

Right now this seems like a (legitimate imho) way to keep the money from ticketholders and cling to the minor chance of anything happening this year, but not a rocksolid plan.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lighthouse said:

September should definitely be okay. 

Can't assume that. A lot depends on how the vaccine rollout happens, and there are also issues around more infectious variants. There are difficult decisions being made around the double-dose vaccines, and whether or not to use the doses to give more people single doses instead. If we get it right, we get ahead of the infection rates. If it's wrong, we run the risk of helping more infectious strains to evolve.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic but that's all. 50/50 at best.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, daveje said:

Can't assume that. A lot depends on how the vaccine rollout happens, and there are also issues around more infectious variants. There are difficult decisions being made around the double-dose vaccines, and whether or not to use the doses to give more people single doses instead. If we get it right, we get ahead of the infection rates. If it's wrong, we run the risk of helping more infectious strains to evolve.

This exactly. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

https://echoboomer.pt/primavera-sound-de-barcelona-e-porto-devem-ser-adiados-para-setembro/

Move over Reuters, you're breaking the international news these days @Ohjesus.

Christ. Luckily it’s anonymous. And also, to be fair, there’s no link between livenation/PS other than industry chatter.
Weird also that this is where they come for news!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, daveje said:

What about this new Japanese type of virus? Don't wanna be pessimistic but they are not sure if vaccine is proper against this type.

10 hours ago, Festcrazy said:

What about this new Japanese type of virus? Don't wanna be pessimistic but they are not sure if vaccine is proper against this type.

Also two new strains in the US. One has become the dominant strain in some places, suggesting that it's also more infectious. Remember: 50% more infectious kills more people than 50% more fatal.

This year's also going to be a wild ride.

We all debugged the August dates almost two weeks before they were announced so given that and the evidence from hotels' occupancy on September I'm pretty positive about the new change of dates but, just to be sure, we all know there is not going to be Primavera or any 50k ppl events on 2021, right?

10 minutes ago, Nesser said:

We all debugged the August dates almost two weeks before they were announced so given that and the evidence from hotels' occupancy on September I'm pretty positive about the new change of dates but, just to be sure, we all know there is not going to be Primavera or any 50k ppl events on 2021, right?

Why are Primavera going to the enormous headache of booking hotels and presumably re-signing all the bands with all that that entails if there is no chance of 50k ppl events in 8 months time?

They're not masochists.

3 minutes ago, Nesser said:

I mean, they rebooked for September '20 and June '21. I am absolutely sure they are working towards the new date for 2021. Just can't see it happen as of today.

Obviously the situation is bad but they don't need to make the decision on September 'today'.

It would be pointless to plan for September if there is no chance, given there will be cost and admin implications. They'll do it only if they think it's possible.

26 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

for what it’s worth, it doesn’t cost anything to reserve a hotel, it’s probably way way down their list of expenditures  

Yeah, you're both right in fact, the costs and effort will only come later.

If they announce, though, they must think there's a chance and I'm pretty sure they will announce.

13 hours ago, Nesser said:

If you want a little optimism, the Scottish Government accidentally released data on how many vaccines the UK had, and it suggests that every adult in the UK may have two jabs by July. That means that first jabs for everyone could be May.

Delivery is patchy in a lot of places, but ultimately that shouldn't be a problem - the cost of Covid is so high, that most European countries should be able mobilise huge resources to deliver vaccines. Supply is always going to the issue, but they have been producing the vaccines for some time (months before they were approved), and it looks like the UK at least is confident that they have enough in the pipeline. Whether that's the case for other countries, I don't know - it may be the one thing they did "better" than other countries, and one reason why the info on vaccine supply has been so secretive.

They have to think the festival will take place in September because their (financial) lifes go in it. Even I think some days that I might happen but the current state of things don't look good. And true, they don't have to make a call today with today's events, but governments actually act based on today's trends, so ultimately it doesn't look any good.