Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

11 hours ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

The Portuguese organizer of Primavera Sound spoke to a Portuguese radio station on Friday that the Spanish organizers of Primavera Sound are very confident with the Festival.

Well, they would say that either way won't they? The number one priority is to keep liquidity as long as possible. 

continental Europe is behind the UK on vaccination by a couple of weeks, maybe a month. Accounting for larger populations (Germany), Vaccine skepticism (especially France) and general vaccine availability and distribution, continental Europe does not look to reach relevant vaccination rates before next Winter. 

10 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Well, they would say that either way won't they? The number one priority is to keep liquidity as long as possible. 

continental Europe is behind the UK on vaccination by a couple of weeks, maybe a month. Accounting for larger populations (Germany), Vaccine skepticism (especially France) and general vaccine availability and distribution, continental Europe does not look to reach relevant vaccination rates before next Winter. 

To illustrate this point. My Dad lives near Barcelona, has done for many years, his expectation on receiving the vaccination is May. He’s 75. There won’t be a Primavera in the first week of June. 

1 hour ago, burnleynotbarcelona said:

To illustrate this point. My Dad lives near Barcelona, has done for many years, his expectation on receiving the vaccination is May. He’s 75. There won’t be a Primavera in the first week of June. 

Wow, in Spain there is already a calendar with the dates of vaccinations, great,this is not the case in Italy...

10 hours ago, Fabrizzo said:

Wow, in Spain there is already a calendar with the dates of vaccinations, great,this is not the case in Italy...

I said it's his expectation. I'm not suggesting it's informed by any official "calendar". It's entirely anecdotal of course and I mentioned it to illustrate some other post that suggested the EU is comparatively behind in terms of the rollout vs UK. 

8 minutes ago, burnleynotbarcelona said:

I said it's his expectation. I'm not suggesting it's informed by any official "calendar". It's entirely anecdotal of course and I mentioned it to illustrate some other post that suggested the EU is comparatively behind in terms of the rollout vs UK. 

Spain has 20 million fewer people than the UK so 'in theory' would be possible to catch up (not that I think they will, given infrastructure problems).

For sure now there won't be a Primavera in June but as I think is not said often enough, this isn't just about vaccination but about the twin strategy of vaccination + testing. The equation is surely:

X% vaccinated + QR code on phone showing successful private test = a mass outdoor event 

(especially in Summer when the infection rates drop naturally)

• Like 1

Early Summer festival postponements are going to become a flood in the next month.

I suspect if the virus can be tamed sufficiently, the length of the festival season will be cut in half and there might suddenly be an overwhelming amount of choice after 15 months of famine. Does make you worried whether there will be enough infrastructure for every festival.

7 minutes ago, Newjem said:

The 1975 just cancelled their whole tour including summer festivals. I guess this is the beginning of the end...

Almost all their shows were scheduled on February and March, with only 1 show in London in summer. Can't see how this cancellation applies to summer festivals?

2 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Summer festivals? They were touring in feb/march. Only one fest. 

edit: as mln said 🙂

They were supposed to play Hurricane Festival in 2020. The festival dropped its first poster for 2021 in June and they were not there anymore. It seems like they might have some second thoughts about doing European festivals already back then. 

3 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Summer festivals? They were touring in feb/march. Only one fest. 

No. They cancelled ALL dates in 2021, including at least three more European festivals, as well as  US festivals Outside Lands in August and Bonnarroo in September. And thats just the ones already announced, but not the ones they were booked but not announced for. 

Other major bands will follow in the coming weeks, bc, as I said before, tour plans have to be rocksolid by the end of January, beginning of February, or they won't go ahead with it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Hurricane and Southside in Germany (June 18th-20th) and People's Rock (June 10th) in Poland. 

It's Rock for People and it's in Czech Republic. All these 3 festivals announced their first posters for 2021 several months ago and The 1975 were not there anymore (they were supposed to play in 2020) which means they were thinking of not touring in summer 2021 for some time now.

Also, they did big festival tour in summer 2019 followed by a dozen of shows in Australia and UK early 2020. It's easy to notice that they may have their reasons not to tour in summer 2021. Reasons other bands who have not been so active recently probably won't have. But these all are guesses of course.

Edited by mln

5 minutes ago, mln said:

It's Rock for People and it's in Czech Republic. All these 3 festivals announced their first posters for 2021 several months ago and The 1975 were not there anymore (they were supposed to play in 2020) which means they were thinking of not touring in summer 2021 for some time now.

Also, they did big festival tour in summer 2019 followed by a dozen of shows in Australia and UK early 2020. It's easy to notice that they may have their reasons not to tour in summer 2021.

Sorry, messed that up.

But the rest of what youre writing is wishful thinking. They explicitly state the pandemic as the reason to cancel. Also Hurricane and Southside had them on their poster all year and only today announced their cancellation. 

I think some of you wildly underestimate how much planning goes into a major tour and how such an uncertainty as we have it now affects that. It's not as easy to reschedule stuff as some here seem to think. We will definitely see many more of these cancellations.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Sorry, messed that up.

But the rest of what youre writing is wishful thinking. They explicitly state the pandemic as the reason to cancel. Also Hurricane and Southside had them on their poster all year and only today announced their cancellation. 

I think some of you wildly underestimate how much planning goes into a major tour and how such an uncertainty as we have it now affects that. It's not as easy to reschedule stuff as some here seem to think. We will definitely see many more of these cancellations.

I suppose the reason to think rescheduling is possible is that a) Primavera has a dominant position in the market and b) they managed it last year and at shorter notice.

2 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Sorry, messed that up.

Can you show me these posters? Looking on their official websites and can't see The 1975 there. Also, can't see any announcements from Hurricane and Southside.

Just now, xxialac said:

I suppose the reason to think rescheduling is possible is that a) Primavera has a dominant position in the market and b) they managed it last year and at shorter notice.

How exactly did they manage? They announced new dates and then, couple weeks later, the cancellation everyone new was coming. Nobody knows if they actually were able to reschedule anything specific. 

13 minutes ago, mln said:

Also, they did big festival tour in summer 2019 followed by a dozen of shows in Australia and UK early 2020. It's easy to notice that they may have their reasons not to tour in summer 2021. Reasons other bands who have not been so active recently probably won't have. But these all are guesses of course.

They were supposed to play at Rock for People this year. The festival also released a statement today. + The 1975 cancelled their July festival in Finsbury park (London).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

How exactly did they manage? They announced new dates and then, couple weeks later, the cancellation everyone new was coming. Nobody knows if they actually were able to reschedule anything specific. 

That's not right. 

They rescheduled 86% of the bands.

If they could do the same again that would be 'managing' in my book. And you can only watch one stage at a time...