Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

image.png.85fdacb109deed362ef09d48bcfa920a.png

Would have thought we need certainly Spain (and probably the UK and possibly the US) to be nearish the top of this table by the Summer for the R-rate to be stable and the government to give the green light for the festival to go ahead in 2021, possibly in conjunction with testing. 

Vamos!

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

image.png.85fdacb109deed362ef09d48bcfa920a.png

Would have thought we need certainly Spain (and probably the UK and possibly the US) to be nearish the top of this table by the Summer for the R-rate to be stable and the government to give the green light for the festival to go ahead in 2021, possibly in conjunction with testing. 

Vamos!

the Optimistic assumption in Israel is that we will reach herd-immunity levels at around March-April. This is the very optimistic estimation, June is the more realistic date. And this is a country that's currently 30 times faster than Spain...

Maybe when more vaccines gets approved, specifically those who doesn't require 2 doses and complicated transport and handling, things will speed up, but at the moment it doesn't look fast enough

Just now, JedTheHumanoid said:

the Optimistic assumption in Israel is that we will reach herd-immunity levels at around March-April. This is the very optimistic estimation, June is the more realistic date. And this is a country that's currently 30 times faster than Spain...

Maybe when more vaccines gets approved, specifically those who doesn't require 2 doses and complicated transport and handling, things will speed up, but at the moment it doesn't look fast enough

Not fast enough for June but could be fast enough for September (when combined with testing) would be my take.

In fact Spain had planned to cover its whole population by a final phase they expected to conclude in September.

Also the EU approved Moderna today and the focus will turn to delivery rather than supply.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not fast enough for June but could be fast enough for September (when combined with testing) would be my take.

In fact Spain had planned to cover its whole population by a final phase they expected to conclude in September.

Also the EU approved Moderna today and the focus will turn to delivery rather than supply.

yes, I think we can forget about June. It's September or nothing at this point

1 hour ago, burnleynotbarcelona said:

Primavera pushing 'em back. Might be an indication on current thinking on indoor gigs.

Given that small indoor gigs should really come back before large outdoor festivals, it's not great it's so far out.

Certainly does point to June as being pie-in-the-sky now. This new variant and slow start to vaccination have surely pushed us all back a couple of months. 

51 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Given that small indoor gigs should really come back before large outdoor festivals, it's not great it's so far out.

Certainly does point to June as being pie-in-the-sky now. This new variant and slow start to vaccination have surely pushed us all back a couple of months. 

To balance out the negative...

https://www.lavoixdunord.fr/917767/article/2021-01-08/festivals-d-ete-et-covid-19-roselyne-bachelot-veut-donner-un-message-d-espoir

Italian flight company Easyjet just canceled my flights.
Apparently they canceled the whole Napoli-Barcelona route for the moment.
I honestly don't know if it's worth booking another flight or I may just wait a little bit, but I think I'll be waiting.
I'm so sad anyway.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, whos3000 said:

June is out 100%. We should just take that as a starting point to speculate. 

Hopefully this will give them the chance to update a line up that is, yes, amazing but lacks of novelty. I mean Igor came out in 2019. I like the new abnormal but you can't really say it was the biggest music album of 2020. Maybe the only name they really hit the jackpot with is bad bunny. I mean he's the biggest artist in the world right now and he's far from being total crap as other artists of the same commercial appeal. 

My favourite new updates would be:

-phoebe bridgers & phoebe bridgers + the national (come on, it wouls be so easy... Just book her and let them collab on stage!) 

-fiona apple (impossible) 

-duma (book them now cause they didn't tour the experimental festival circuit!!) 

I was forgetting how much headie one could be a super strong replacement btw (fire emoji)! 

At this rate of vaccination, June is imossible and Sptember isn't very likely either. It will speed up eventuall, but the sheer physical limitations (logistics, facilities, staff) will mean a threshhold at some point where you cannot go any faster. Also, in a couple of weeks, everyone who already got one, will need to get their second shot, which will delay the process even further. I can imaginge 5.000 or so atendee festivals, but nothing the size of primavera this year. 

6 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

At this rate of vaccination, June is imossible and Sptember isn't very likely either. 

What is the vaccination program in Spain like? Isn't it normal that vaccination is 'slow' in this phase? It's actually pretty crazy that we already started vaccinating people in all of Europe as early as january 10th. 

22 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

At this rate of vaccination, June is imossible and Sptember isn't very likely either. It will speed up eventuall, but the sheer physical limitations (logistics, facilities, staff) will mean a threshhold at some point where you cannot go any faster. Also, in a couple of weeks, everyone who already got one, will need to get their second shot, which will delay the process even further. I can imaginge 5.000 or so atendee festivals, but nothing the size of primavera this year. 

right now it is mostly Pfizer vaccinations, which are the most complicated to handle and require two shots. Once the other vaccinations gets used, especially the one-dose ones, things will speed up.

I agree June is out of the question at the moment, but September can still happen

35 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

right now it is mostly Pfizer vaccinations, which are the most complicated to handle and require two shots. Once the other vaccinations gets used, especially the one-dose ones, things will speed up.

I agree June is out of the question at the moment, but September can still happen

To my knowledge, all vaccines approved in the EU currently (Biontech/Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca) are  double shots.

Matt Hancock (UK Health Secretary) has said this morning that they aim to offer every adult in the UK the vaccine "by Autumn". If it's comparable in the EU then I don't, diven the demograhic, unfortunately anticipate an early September global music festival being viable (I assume that literally no one is hanging onto the idea of Primavera taking place in early June this year).

It's looking more and more like 2022 unless they can push it even further back this year. However an October "Primavera" (for example) would have a very, very different feel to June. Sadly the music industry was always going to be one of the last things back. The UK Cheif Medical Officer said the other day that he anticipates we'll still need (social distancing) measures next winter, regardless of the vaccine rollout. Hancock disagreed with that this morning - saying he hopes the vaccination programme would be enough. Hmm, CMO v Matt Hancock - I know whom I'd rather believe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

To my knowledge, all vaccines approved in the EU currently (Biontech/Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca) are  double shots.

1 hour ago, mashinko said:

The one-dose ones are which one? Russian and Chinese? 😄

Most of the vaccines (approved/yet unauthorized) are double shots. The only one-dose vaccine I know about is Johnson&Johnson which probably won't be approved until March and the first supplies are expected in April.

12 minutes ago, daveje said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/uk-musicians-visa-eu-brexit-rejected-reaction-b1785044.html

The UK rejected an EU offer to allow visa-free travel for musicians, because it would have allowed EU-based musicians the same freedom to play in the UK.

Disappointed but not surprised with how incompetent the government has handled everything recently