Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

On 12/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, Andrej said:

As someone wrote above, really hard to imagine anything happening in the early summer. Still some small chance for late August or September, but even that one I would put at around 20% the best. If we are being real, can anyone here imagine any government giving green light to 50,000 or 70,000 people without any distances, smashed together in a field, with tons of international concert goers freely travelling all over the world to shows. Just cant imagine that in 6-7 months from now. Shows will definitely return in 2021., it will be way better than 2020., some with social distance, some with smaller capacities etc. But unfortunately any massive big name summer festival can only take place if all systems are go and they can function at 100% cap.

And that will, I think, happen in 2022. at earliest.

Remember just winter test for clubs, all clubs are closed and most countries are in lockdown now.

Think it'll be almost the same in January/February.

Edited by Festcrazy

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Thanks @ken19, is the solution likely to be moving the festival to later in the year?

I'm guessing a massive pre-testing strategy. It's no secret a lot of festival organisations (and other events like the Olympics) are looking at this. I'm guessing there will be a moment when all the EU fests will announce the concrete plans in how this all will work. 

Well, that's what I'm hoping. 😉

Pluses:

-Seems so far away that can be more confident will go ahead than if scheduled for July or August. Maybe even Auditori could be opened by then?

-Perfect weather (and less baking weather than August)

- Prolongs the Summer if you are from a colder climate like UK

-and (probably the best one) after it only 9 months to wait again for another Primavera edition (2022) 😎

This correlates with the new All Points East dates for shared headliners, and I presume will cherry pick a bunch of stuff from End of the Road, Parklife and Lovebox as well.

So really not sure how much of that original PS lineup will still stand, or if other festivals in June/July that artists 'do the rounds' of will be moving to later in the summer too since it's all part of the same booking ecosystem.

For those who booked the rescheduled dates last year, how easy was it to change flights and sort accommodation?

If it does happen then I'm quite happy with a September reschedule. The weather seems ideal for a festival and I'd feel much more confident both about the festival going ahead but also being among a large crowd. Three months is a particularly long time in a world where vaccination programmes will be up and running at that point. 

I think the weekend of 9th-11th September is also when Parklife will take place, so that alongside the New Order gig that weekend and as @Degupoints out QOTSA playing in Madrid, there should be plenty of big acts touring around that time. 

38 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

For those who booked the rescheduled dates last year, how easy was it to change flights and sort accommodation?

If it does happen then I'm quite happy with a September reschedule. The weather seems ideal for a festival and I'd feel much more confident both about the festival going ahead but also being among a large crowd. Three months is a particularly long time in a world where vaccination programmes will be up and running at that point. 

I think the weekend of 9th-11th September is also when Parklife will take place, so that alongside the New Order gig that weekend and as @Degupoints out QOTSA playing in Madrid, there should be plenty of big acts touring around that time. 

Wasn’t too tricky - had a heads up on dates so nothing was booked by others, but the flights I left till later just in case. So didn’t technically change them, just cancelled and rebooked. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ohjesus said:

my livenation guy says PS don’t plan to reschedule - at this time - and he was right last time.

This time last year PS had no plans to reschedule either, and we know how that turned out.

Personally I don't think there's a whelk's chance in a supernova that June will happen. September at least is vaguely credible.

BTW, does anyone know what the situation is for UK bands wanting to tour Europe, now that Brexit is a reality?

9 hours ago, daveje said:

This time last year PS had no plans to reschedule either, and we know how that turned out.

Personally I don't think there's a whelk's chance in a supernova that June will happen. September at least is vaguely credible.

BTW, does anyone know what the situation is for UK bands wanting to tour Europe, now that Brexit is a reality?

No, I assumed the subtext there was no PS2021. 

the Europe touring thing meanwhile is a complete expensive shitshow. There’s currently a petition to get the government to debate it. Really bad, with lots of red tape/charges for things - right down to instruments - apparently. 

Edited by Ohjesus