Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

14 minutes ago, burnleynotbarcelona said:

I think the next couple of months are undeniably going to be brutal everywhere in Europe.

But by June case levels should be low, deaths far lower than now and hospitalisations also lower.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

I suspect Glastonbury needs to make a decision by January given its vast complexity. Primavera maybe as late as March?

Although Glato is much bigger, the decision times should be roughly the same, given that glasto is two weeks later. Primavera has less site building to do, but that is not as much the problem as the finalisation of programming, artist coordination (arranging accomodation etc.), contracting (for food and stuff), commissiong merch and PR,  and communication with authorities.   

The biggest problem here will be international artists that book costly tours, including flights. You can only wait so long for your flights to be booked, and 3 months notice would be too much of a risk moneywise, especially for smaller acts.

Edited by Quadrophobia

3 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Although Glato is much bigger, the decision times should be roughly the same, given that glasto is two weeks later. Primavera has less site building to do, but that is not as much the problem as the finalisation of programming, artist coordination (arranging accomodation etc.), contracting (for food and stuff), commissiong merch and PR,  and communication with authorities.   

The biggest problem here will be international artists that book costly tours, including flights. You can only wait so long for your flights to be booked, and 3 months notice would be too much of a risk moneywise, especially for smaller acts.

Primavera needs to decide next month? Seems too soon, surely? 

And yes, they might lose artists but they can be replaced all other things being equal.

18 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Primavera needs to decide next month? Seems too soon, surely? 

And yes, they might lose artists but they can be replaced all other things being equal.

What I'M saying is: At One point, if you're a festival promoter, you gotta pay for tons of stuff in advance. If you take the risk and start paying those advances, you might end up losing them, when your event gets cancelled. Their is a significant financial risk attached every year and for 2021, most promoters will be even more cautious to spend money, if the chances of their event happening are not near airtight. 

Right now, there is just tons of problems to tackle. I don't say they can't be overcome, but time might simply run out. We are somewhat overestimating the immediacy of the effect of the vaccine here. 

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 minute ago, Quadrophobia said:

What I'M saying is: At One point, if you're a festival promoter, you gotta pay for tons of stuff in advance. If you take the risk and start paying those advances, you might end up losing them, when your event gets cancelled. Their is a significant financial risk attached every year and for 2021, most promoters will be even more cautious to spend money, if the chances of their event happening are not near airtight. 

Right now, there is just tons of problems to tackle. I don't say they can't be overcome, but time might simplay run out.

Totally agree and we're probably saying the same thing. 

Andalucía region has confirmed today that probably there won't be public religous parades ("procesiones") in Easter 2021 (1st April weekend, only 9 weeks before Primavera). This is a serious damage for Sevilla and all Andalucía economy  whose hotels are full during all Easter time due to religious traditions. 

Andalucía has a great weather, and in the 1st wave was one of the Spanish regions that didn't suffer too much.

Things are not looking good for Spain in spring time. I can't see Andalucian Easter cancelled and a few weeks after music festivals being celebrated all over Spain...

Edited by johnybegood

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Isn't Primavera 2 months later rather than 'a few weeks' later?

This year in Spain:

-1 April: 877 people died of Covid

-1 June: 0 people died of Covid

I just tried to explain my point of view analyzing how are things evolving in my country.

The point is that primavera will have to take a decision not in june, the decision will be taken in the first months of the next year, and things are not looking great. No carnival in Tenerife/Cádiz in february, no Easter religious celebrations in April in Andalucía and in the middle of this ruin, Primavera will announce that a huge music festival will happen in late spring in Barcelona? No way. Believe me.

9 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

I just tried to explain my point of view analyzing how are things evolving in my country.

The point is that primavera will have to take a decision not in june, the decision will be taken in the first months of the next year, and things are not looking great. No carnival in Tenerife/Cádiz in february, no Easter religious celebrations in April in Andalucía and in the middle of this ruin, Primavera will announce that a huge music festival will happen in late spring in Barcelona? No way. Believe me.

I'm not saying it's a done deal by any means but at some point things will reopen and June is quite a lot further on from April time-wise. As I pointed out this year it represented the difference between a national crisis and post-crisis calm.

Any the festival won't have to be announced. It's already been announced.

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

I'm not saying it's a done deal by any means but at some point things will reopen and June is quite a lot further on from April time-wise. As I pointed out this year it represented the difference between a national crisis and post-crisis calm.

Any the festival won't have to be announced. It's already been announced.

I understand your point of view, xxialac, but I know the Spanish idiosyncrasy, and if next year all events start to get cancelled (Carnival, Easter Parades, Fallas, San Fermín...) everybody will look to the other regions and will complain saying ("if in Andalucia we don't have Easter parades why will Valencia celebrate Fallas, so Fallas will get cancelled. People from Valencia will say, if we don't have Fallas, why in Sevilla they have "Feria de Abril", so Feria de Abril will get Cancelled, then people from Sevila will say, if we don't have Feria de Abril, why in Cordoba or Granada will celebrate "Día de la Cruz" in may? So día de la cruz will get cancelled...

Spain has a really complicated political structure, and Comunidades Autónomas look carefully to each other and if there is any difference in the way that they are treated by the central government, they complain and press (almost chantage) so the central government finnaly takes salomonic decisions: all or nothing.

This is why I am so negative when I am realizing that important events for local economies are getting cancelled in Spring 2021.

Sorry for my English, sometimes it is not easy explaining this kind of things in another language.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

I understand your point of view, xxialac, but I know the Spanish idiosyncrasy, and if next year all events start to get cancelled (Carnival, Easter Parades, Fallas, San Fermín...) everybody will look to the other regions and will complain saying ("if in Andalucia we don't have Easter parades why will Valencia celebrate Fallas, so Fallas will get cancelled. People from Valencia will say, if we don't have Fallas, why in Sevilla they have "Feria de Abril", so Feria de Abril will get Cancelled, then people from Sevila will say, if we don't have Feria de Abril, why in Cordoba or Granada will celebrate "Día de la Cruz" in may? So día de la cruz will get cancelled...

Spain has a really complicated political structure, and Comunidades Autónomas look carefully to each other and if there is any difference in the way that they are treated by the central government, they complain and press (almost chantage) so the central government finnaly takes salomonic decisions: all or nothing.

This is why I am so negative when I am realizing that important events for local economies are getting cancelled in Spring 2021.

Sorry for my English, sometimes it is not easy explaining this kind of things in another language.

Apologies, that’s a really good explanation and I’m sure I hadn’t understood the cultural nuance properly. 

• Upvote 2

I am very curious about how fast the vaccinations can be ramped up. I noticed Spain has a very ambitious plan to get 25% of its population vaccinated by Q1. That is a massive operation. With the double doses required it will take 27 million shots of vaccine. With such a speed you will get to herd immunity in Spain some time during Q3. Implications for music festivals? If a vaccine prevent serious disease to develop but do not prevent the individual to be infectious for others, it is difficult to see how they would allow mass events before herd immunity is reached. Why take the chance when societies are about to regain some hard earned control and at the same are not sufficiently protected yet.

More and more unlikely for anything happening in June, anywhere. Just hard to see 50-70k people, anywhere, on a filed or parking lot, without any distances and full capacity. End of August or September could maybe be doable, but also looking very tricky at the moment.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, puckno said:

I am very curious about how fast the vaccinations can be ramped up. I noticed Spain has a very ambitious plan to get 25% of its population vaccinated by Q1. That is a massive operation. With the double doses required it will take 27 million shots of vaccine. With such a speed you will get to herd immunity in Spain some time during Q3. Implications for music festivals? If a vaccine prevent serious disease to develop but do not prevent the individual to be infectious for others, it is difficult to see how they would allow mass events before herd immunity is reached. Why take the chance when societies are about to regain some hard earned control and at the same are not sufficiently protected yet.

you have to remember that you don't have to overcome the pandemic or reach herd immunity for things to go back to normal.

Throughout this last year, it's always been a conflict between the health hazards and the economical damage from Corona. If you reach a state that you immune all the 65+ and other risk factor groups, mortality rate will drop even if the pandemic is still going on. Sure, you have long covid, and it still might hurt younger people, but in much lower numbers, and this will shift the needle in the health vs economy discussion, especially when we're after a year that everything's closed.

It's not an easy moral decision, it's one I'm happy I'm not the one who has to make, but I think that if this will be the state in June, you can't keep tourism and the festival industry closed. you can always use proof of vaccination or negative test result to allow entering the festival or even Barcelona

I'm getting one of those quick-test things tomorrow. Se how thatll go and if its viable fpr festivals.

Also, the vaccine ambitions are starting to crumble a bit. The distribution and early supply from pfizer/biontech aren't working 100% as planned and even if its only a small delay, that could cost 2-3 weeks in countries vaccination plans. Also the EU didn't order enough of it. They ordered more from Moderna, but thats only gotta be cleared by early January.

14 hours ago, Nesser said:

Someone has to tour newly released albums for the first time in 2022/2023

Hoping for Portishead (Gaby Ruiz spoiled something once but no one knows if the record is finally ready)

Edited by gigi21

I think Gabi and the rest are less interested in St. Vincent than other Spanish festivals or even less than themselves in 2014. Women playing guitars are exactly what Mad Cool needs to wash their image so I'd say Annie will play there if MC insists a little bit.

Anyway, my concern in the previous post was focused on the 2022/2023 date and the feasability of holding a festival with two years in blank more than in the names.