Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Not only too soon to judge but also simply, as the scientific experiment didn't recreate many of the conditions of the festival, given a) maskwearing b) indoors nature and c) small scale.

Could be useful in time for go ahead for similar indoor gigs though.

Agree, it could be really useful to boost confidence/scientific evidence towards indoor gigs. Plus the number of vaccines roled out by autumn make me think of something close to regular winter tours in Europe (¿?)

American Acts will be a problem _if_ PS goes ahead. I think the bigger ones will be put to the same routine as footballers in top-tier, meaning tests before and after every event, but the smaller acts will probably not be able to stem those costs, with denser schedules but far less pay per event, making tours unlikely. If we see a PS in 2021, the line up is gonna be trimmed heavily. 

For European Acts to tour, the situation has to be under control not only in Spain, but also the UK, Germany, France, the Netherlands and Italy at the least. 

I'm more optimistic than a month ago, but everyone I know is still scheduling their gigs for the fall. 

Edited by Quadrophobia

5 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

American Acts will be a problem _if_ PS goes ahead. I think the bigger ones will be put to the same routine as footballers in top-tier, meaning tests before and after every event, but the smaller acts will probably not be able to stem those costs, with denser schedules but far less pay per event, making tours unlikely. If we see a PS in 2021, the line up is gonna be trimmed heavily. 

For European Acts to tour, the situation has to be under control not only in Spain, but also the UK, Germany, France, the Netherlands and Italy at the least. 

I'm more optimistic than a month ago, but everyone I know is still scheduling their gigs for the fall. 

Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland are to co-ordinating their vaccine campaigns, they announced today.

I think, yeah, nothing has changes and US acts will struggle but for European acts, there's reason to be hopeful and certainly by late Summer.

On 12/15/2020 at 6:00 PM, xxialac said:

Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland are to co-ordinating their vaccine campaigns, they announced today.

I think, yeah, nothing has changes and US acts will struggle but for European acts, there's reason to be hopeful and certainly by late Summer.

Still, vaccines aren't the only factor. Local regulations and lockdowns will be more relevant than the vaccine in bringing down numbers in the short term. There is no realistic scenario in which the vaccine will curb the spread in the first half of 21. We don't even know if all the vaccines prevent contracting the virus or only the disease yet (although the Oxford/AstraZeneca seems to do that). Infection numbers must go down significantly before there is any chance of a summer festival season, vaccine or no vaccine. If we haven't cut the numbers down by January, there is little chance for Festivals in June.

France, Belgium, Germany and Italy are amongst the countries with the highest number of active cases. If it isn't forseeable that continental Europe will have a far better situation, summer tours will be canceled.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Still, vaccines aren't the only factor. Local regulations and lockdowns will be more relevant that the vaccine in bringing down numbers. There is no realistic scenario in which the vaccine will curb the spread in the first half of 21. We don't even know if all the vaccines prevent contracting the virus or only the disease yet (although the Oxford/AstraZeneca seems to do that). Infection numbers must go down significantly before there is any chance of a summer festival season, vaccine or no vaccine. If we haven't cut the numbers down by January, there is little chance for Festivals in June.

This doesn't account for two things:

- the seasonality effect (the numbers will drop without new measures as the virus comes in waves and people start to spend more time outdoors)

- the dramatically falling numbers of hospitalised and dead will allow governments more room to loosen restrictions, and they may well favour the economy over restrictive measures. There will be a good estimate soon of by when the vulnerable population will have been vaccinated.

I think so much of the problem is that the festival will need to second-guess what the government will allow in advance and with the effect of a misjudgement bringing financial ruin.

So unless there is insurance available or firm assurances from the government around what an acceptable testing regime would encompass early in the New Year, seems to me the most likely scenario is that Primavera plans for the festival to take place at the end of the Summer. Postponement another year just may not be financially viable whereas August/September look extremely achievable.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

This doesn't account for two things:

- the seasonality effect (the numbers will drop without new measures as the virus comes in waves and people start to spend more time outdoors)

- the dramatically falling numbers of hospitalised and dead will allow governments more room to loosen restrictions, and they may well favour the economy over restrictive measures. There will be a good estimate soon of by when the vulnerable population will have been vaccinated.

I think so much of the problem is that the festival will need to second-guess what the government will allow in advance and with the effect of a misjudgement bringing financial ruin.

So unless there is insurance available or firm assurances from the government around what an acceptable testing regime would encompass early in the New Year, seems to me the most likely scenario is that Primavera plans for the festival to take place at the end of the Summer. Postponement another year just may not be financially viable whereas August/September look extremely achievable.

The seasonality effect will however only have impact when numbers are already going down. Otherwise the spread will continue, because the lower infection risk in the outdoors is counterbalanced by the increased movement. 2020s summer season low was due to prior lockdowns to a good part.

If numbers fall, restrictions will indeed loosen. But currently we are seeing the opposite. Numbers in Germany, France, Italy and the UK are spiking and death numbers reach new record highs every day. Only when we tip this soon enough, we can think of loosening measures. Germany f.e. has its lockdown til January 10th, but it is common understanding, that it will be continued at least into February.

1 minute ago, Quadrophobia said:

The seasonality effect will however only have impact when numbers are already going down. Otherwise the spread will continue, because the lower infection risk in the outdoors is counterbalanced by the increased movement. 2020s summer season low was due to prior lockdowns to a good part.

If numbers fall, restrictions will indeed loosen. But currently we are seeing the opposite. Numbers in Germany, France, Italy and the UK are spiking and death numbers reach new record highs every day. Only when we tip this soon enough, we can think of loosening measures. Germany f.e. has its lockdown til January 10th, but it is common understanding, that it will be continued at least into February.

Fair enough.

I think we are looking at some very bleak numbers for the next 2-3 months that won't reflect where we will be by June.

Perhaps numbers will start to turn around in February.

A lot depends on when Primavera needs to make its decision. At least they don't have to build the site.