Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

3 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

In the event that we all get vaccinated, wouldn't the Auditori be usable after all? Because I don't see how sitting in silence in an indoor venue is more risky than standing in a massive outdoor crowd with very little personal space while everybody around you is screaming and singing.

There is no chance whatsoever of everyone being vaccinated by first week of June. I doubt they'll even cover 10% of younger people by then.

8 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

In the event that we all get vaccinated, wouldn't the Auditori be usable after all? Because I don't see how sitting in silence in an indoor venue is more risky than standing in a massive outdoor crowd with very little personal space while everybody around you is screaming and singing.

Indoor vs outdoor transmission, ventilation, etc etc is a lot different. As xxialac says above, there's no way everyone will be vaccinated by June and I think all festivals realise this, so they'll just have to use techniques to mitigate it and make it as safe as they can.

I could possibly see the Auditori going ahead if they had some sort of pre-festival testing implemented, but nobody knows yet.

Spaniards won't be vaccinated by early June. Government just announced their vaccination plan with thre main stages:

January - March: very limited vaccination

March - June: wider framework

June - ¿?: general vaccination

First ones will be nursing homes residents and workers starting on January so we'll know by then whether there's a delay on the planning. I know that the main focus is to vaccinate those risk groups but with this outlook we're facing end of May-beginning of June with the majority of attendees still pending on their dose.

1 hour ago, Ken19 said:

Festivals next summer by the end of June are a go it seems. I feel an enormous positive vibe in this business again, believe me, that is while ago. The fear with the guys of Primavera (but also Best Kept) is that the beginning of June is just too early. 

Does a month really make such a difference?

27 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Does a month really make such a difference?

Yes. Getting to herd immunity depends on the percentage of people offered vaccination, and also the percentage who decide to take the vaccination. The further away from 100% either of those numbers gets, the lower the chance of herd immunity.

Also remember that the current vaccine schedules involve two jabs taken some distance apart.

Edited by daveje

53 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Spaniards won't be vaccinated by early June. Government just announced their vaccination plan with thre main stages:

January - March: very limited vaccination

March - June: wider framework

June - ¿?: general vaccination

First ones will be nursing homes residents and workers starting on January so we'll know by then whether there's a delay on the planning. I know that the main focus is to vaccinate those risk groups but with this outlook we're facing end of May-beginning of June with the majority of attendees still pending on their dose.

The bar to open up festivals and mass events should not be IMO herd immunity.

The equation should be: the vulnerable immunised + low level of cases in population (low R) + some degree of testing.

I think by June all three conditions will be met.

55 minutes ago, daveje said:

Yes. Getting to herd immunity depends on the percentage of people offered vaccination, and also the percentage who decide to take the vaccination. The further away from 100% either of those numbers gets, the lower the chance of herd immunity.

Also remember that the current vaccine schedules involve two jabs taken some distance apart.

Well yes, in that case, it makes a difference. But in music industry, I don't think so. Music festivals usually need more than a month to be 100 % sure its gonna happen (as we experienced most of the cancellations in April this year). The wave of cancellations of early June festivals would also shorten the tours of most bands and make them unprofitable (especially for US artists). 

All these vaccine schedules are still on paper. The reality is usually different.

Edited by Newjem

European governments needs festivals and mass gatherings to be happening this summer – economically it's a total disaster if they don't happen for a second year, even ones in June. The governments will be doing all they can to assist and ensure these go ahead, even with tweaks or additional safety measures.

I'm almost certain there'll be lineup changes, but it'll be going ahead.

• Upvote 1

Where are you getting that info? First time I see the vaccine shortages and the 2.5 million. Usually the flu vaccination window in Spain lasts 8 weeks and 14 million people get their dose (even this year with Covid) so 2.5 million people by June seems odd. The shortage could be a reason but it's somewhat hard to think it could happen given how many vaccines the Govt is going after.

5 hours ago, Nesser said:

Where are you getting that info? First time I see the vaccine shortages and the 2.5 million. Usually the flu vaccination window in Spain lasts 8 weeks and 14 million people get their dose (even this year with Covid) so 2.5 million people by June seems odd. The shortage could be a reason but it's somewhat hard to think it could happen given how many vaccines the Govt is going after.

Sorry, 2.5m by end of March not May.

It’s because they are dependent on the UK vaccine and Spain is not at the front of the queue for the first 3 months of the year, so all that’s they’ve been able to get hold of.

Will accelerate after then but was hard to imagine they’ll do much more than 9m by end of May/start of June if they’ve only done 2.5m by end of March. You may be right based on your numbers but still dependent on supply.

In other news, the gent running the Isle Of Wight festival in June saying 75% chance of going ahead. Of course he’s going to be overly optimistic when speaking in public so I suspect the reality is it’s far from 75%.

A lot will come down to insurance, it seems, from his comments. They can’t commit to costs and then have to pull it last minute or they’ll go bust.

And private insurance is too expensive. Will governments underwrite these events? If so, they’ll all be able to commit. If not, many will lose their nerve and postpone them.

Primavera Sound in August must be a very real possibility but many reasons to be confident it will take place.

Edited by xxialac

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

Sorry, 2.5m by end of March not May.

It’s because they are dependent on the UK vaccine and Spain is not at the front of the queue for the first 3 months of the year, so all that’s they’ve been able to get hold of.

Will accelerate after then but was hard to imagine they’ll do much more than 9m by end of May/start of June if they’ve only done 2.5m by end of March. You may be right based on your numbers but still dependent on supply.

Source? 

Widely reported

https://www.catalannews.com/covid-19/item/spain-plans-to-vaccinate-2-5m-by-march-with-care-homes-given-top-priority

Incidentally Kraftwerk are touring (no Spain date) in early June if they need to replace a headliner(s). It's hard to see all the transatlantic bands being willing to commit, given the costs of touring and the risk of postponement.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Widely reported

https://www.catalannews.com/covid-19/item/spain-plans-to-vaccinate-2-5m-by-march-with-care-homes-given-top-priority

Incidentally Kraftwerk are touring (no Spain date) in early June if they need to replace a headliner(s). It's hard to see all the transatlantic bands being willing to commit, given the costs of touring and the risk of postponement.

no major media in spain( el pais, confidencial, el mundo, a3media, t5)  or the government has given numbers.