Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

"Through a mix of vaccine and testing, as well as trial events, the festival will be ready and eager to safely welcome people back to live music."

This is what's been said on here for a long time. It was never going to just be about the vaccine.

And from December 22, Barcelona is planning to have an allowance of 70% capacity for (indoor) concert halls. Ahead of where I expected them to be...

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Shame also announced a UK tour which is socially distanced for February.  I'd assume this may be a trial for live music in the UK 

There've been socially distanced tours in the UK already and they've been fine. I went to a gig at the Forum in Barcelona this Summer. I'm not sure what a trial can demonstrate that hasn't already been demonstrated.

35 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Shame also announced a UK tour which is socially distanced for February.  I'd assume this may be a trial for live music in the UK 

There have been many post-lockdown (the first lockdown) shows in the UK so this isn't a trial for anything. 

One venue alone, in Brixton, has managed to put on 80 shows over the past few months (including a Shame show). 

Trouble is these shows aren't profitable at all because of the limited number of tickets they're allowed to sell. 

Edited by Sean1234321

4 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

There have been many post-lockdown (the first lockdown) shows in the UK so this isn't a trial for anything. 

One venue alone, in Brixton, has managed to put on 80 shows over the past few months (including a Shame show). 

Trouble is these shows aren't profitable at all because of the limited number of tickets they're allowed to sell. 

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There've been socially distanced tours in the UK already and they've been fine. I went to a gig at the Forum in Barcelona this Summer. I'm not sure what a trial can demonstrate that hasn't already been demonstrated.

Sorry my bad guys genuinely this is the first concert I've heard talked about in glasgow. there's been barely any live music in Scotland since March 

Just now, Paulmcm1998 said:

Sorry my bad guys genuinely this is the first concert I've heard talked about in glasgow. there's been barely any live music in Scotland since March 

Yeah to be fair I don't know what the situation around the rest of the UK has been, sounds like I'm just lucky to live close to London so I've had the chance to attend a few gigs recently. 

You may be right with your point about the tour though, seems like a lot of the gigs in London have been one offs and this Shame announcement is the first time I've seen an actual socially distanced tour announced, so I'd expect to see other bands doing a similar thing next year. 

Rumour (which may not be accurate) that Japan Olympics will require and app where you upload a negative test and then take another one a few days later and again upload.

So don't see why Primavera can't have the same model.

• Do a private test in a day or two before Wednesday and scan in to app.
  • Do another private test on eg. Friday and ditto.
  • Maybe some testing on site to mop up those who can't (collect all the PCRs including a rare Golden PCR for a free ticket for next year...)

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Rumour (which may not be accurate) that Japan Olympics will require and app where you upload a negative test and then take another one a few days later and again upload.

• Maybe some testing on site to mop up those who can't (collect all the PCRs including a rare Golden PCR for a free ticket for next year...)

I haven't been to Primavera so apologies if my assumptions are wrong, but isn't the festival a predominantly international festival, in the sense that a large proportion of the attendees come from outside of Spain? What would this model do to mitigate the potential losses to those who have forked out a large amount of money to come from oversees? Are they just expected to take the risk on losing out on flights (extremely expensive id imagine during the festival) and tickets?

Maybe Primavera may be different due to its popularity, but i just cant see large groups of individual committing to an overseas festival with the risk that the whole plan can collapse just days before it starts, with the potential to lose out on a load of money.

Just now, TheFullShaboo said:

I haven't been to Primavera so apologies if my assumptions are wrong, but isn't the festival a predominantly international festival, in the sense that a large proportion of the attendees come from outside of Spain? What would this model do to mitigate the potential losses to those who have forked out a large amount of money to come from oversees? Are they just expected to take the risk on losing out on flights (extremely expensive id imagine during the festival) and tickets?

Maybe Primavera may be different due to its popularity, but i just cant see large groups of individual committing to an overseas festival with the risk that the whole plan can collapse just days before it starts, with the potential to lose out on a load of money.

Not sure what you are saying here. What do you mean 'whole plan can collapse'?

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Not sure what you are saying here. What do you mean 'whole plan can collapse'?

You've paid and committed to flights, packed and ready to go, and then 2 days prior you test positive. 

No way of recuperating the flight costs, and a probable lengthy process in obtaining your festival ticket cost back.

4 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

You've paid and committed to flights, packed and ready to go, and then 2 days prior you test positive. 

No way of recuperating the flight costs, and a probable lengthy process in obtaining your festival ticket cost back.

It HAS to be that way.

Life is full of risks - and the risk will be very low.

(and incidentally the government you are flying to may insist you have the same test)

Edited by xxialac

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

It HAS to be that way.

Life is full of risks - and the risk will be very low.

Must admit, im probably with you on this one, but the problem is i don't think the majority of people are. They'll take one look at the conditions that say 'negative result required for entry' and just leave it there. 

Thats effectively whats killed off the aviation industry this summer - too many people aren't willing to take the risk. 

Just now, TheFullShaboo said:

Must admit, im probably with you on this one, but the problem is i don't think the majority of people are. They'll take one look at the conditions that say 'negative result required for entry' and just leave it there. 

Thats effectively whats killed off the aviation industry this summer - too many people aren't willing to take the risk. 

I hear you but this is Primavera Sound, it's already sold out and there's enormous pent up demand.

People will take the risk as long as the risk is low - and it's very low.

3 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

In truth you could break your leg before the flight, so many other things could happen. It's a risk going to a festival abroad in any situation.

I have been mulling this over myself, whether or not to see about a refund at this stage as I see they're responding to tweets on this. Although looking at the amazing lineup and the fact that we have come so far in a couple of months. I can only imagine in 5 months time there will be vaccines, super fast testing and real time apps to upload data to.

My experience flying during covid time has been great so if i'm to contract it anywhere it'll be a situation where i've let my guard down in a shop/getting a coffee. So i don't. 

Be grand

8 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

In truth you could break your leg before the flight, so many other things could happen. It's a risk going to a festival abroad in any situation.

Tbh, I've seen people with broken legs or other injuries at the festivals and they were allowed in. In this case, you won't be allowed to enjoy the festival even though you feel fine (but your test is positive).

6 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Tbh, I've seen people with broken legs or other injuries at the festivals and they were allowed in. In this case, you won't be allowed to enjoy the festival even though you feel fine (but your test is positive).

Not quite the point I was making,

but i agree with the point you're making.

Last festival I was at there was a dedicated guy with one leg and two crutches, he was a musical tripod. Sometimes i'm too tired walking with all my two legs can't imagine how tiring it was for him.  

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

You might test negative in many days after contracting the virus. My national team in soccer just had this for three players: two negative tests after exposure, not until 5-6 days after the exposure did the tests come up as positive. Thus a testing regime will not be a clearance for a mass event as Primavera. It is not safe enough. Not until we have a vaccine, and a large percentage of the local community is vaccinated, will mass events get the clearance. With the current protein spike vaccines there is a slight problem that they only prevent for serious disease to develop, however you can still be a contagious carrier of the virus. So the challenge is that you will need to have disease protection for the local community before you can start living as normal, even with negative tests and vaccine in attending individuals. In my view no Primavera will be allowed before a large degree of the BCN population is protected by vaccination. We might see the restrictions go on a bit longer than most people think, and June may be too early.

• Upvote 1

Testing isn't a magic bullet but then neither is vaccination.

We are already allowing people to travel with PCR testing despite that "not being safe enough".

Perfect is not needed here - just good enough plus a reasonable level of vaccination in the population.

Agree June may be too early. June would be more likely if, as you say, vaccine also limits people from being contagious.

Spain have vaccinated a large part of its population of 47 million against the coronavirus by mid-2021, the prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, said today. Last month the Spanish health minister, Salvador Illa, said the government had authorised the purchase of 31.5m doses of a Covid-19 vaccine currently being developed by British pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca.

Sánchez said the government had been working on a comprehensive plan since September, adding: We are ready. Our forecasts, under almost any reasonable scenario, show that a very substantial part of the Spanish population will be able to be vaccinated, with all guarantees, within the first half of the year. The move, he said, would make Spain “the first country within the EU, along with Germany, to have a full vaccination plan”.

This is all very positive - for all the talk of foreign visitors, 50% are Spanish and the decision to go ahead or not rests entirely with the Spanish authorities.

• Upvote 3

Especially with Coachella postponed, there's now a reasonable chance Primavera will be the first major festival globally to return.

Gulp.

Don't think they will have difficulty either with ticket returns or persuading European bands (in search of a long overdue payday) to join the bill if that plays out...