Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

He's putting his (significant) reputation on the line to say 'Yes, yes, yes, Spring with some confidence'. Scientists are normally very guarded.

Plus there's going to be good testing by June.

And it might indeed happen, but the thing is - sometime around February-March, or April the latest, PS will need to make a decision if they postpone or not. So as good as his reputation is - I'm not sure they can wait too much to see if he's right. The safer thing for them to do is to go with August.

But again, pure speculations here, it's not that I know what I'm talking about...

7 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

And it might indeed happen, but the thing is - sometime around February-March, or April the latest, PS will need to make a decision if they postpone or not. So as good as his reputation is - I'm not sure they can wait too much to see if he's right. The safer thing for them to do is to go with August.

But again, pure speculations here, it's not that I know what I'm talking about...

You could well be right.

The key aspect of the news is that a low efficacy rate would have perhaps permanently damaged Primavera's chances of going ahead. That it's come in much higher than expected is a major boost to its chances.

As I've been saying for ages, a green light for the festival is not just about vaccination but a combination of some vaccination and decent testing. Vaccinating the vulnerable + good onsite testing + better weather - it might just be enough...   

Edited by xxialac

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You could well be right.

The key aspect of the news is that a low efficacy rate would have perhaps permanently damaged Primavera's chances of going ahead. That it's come in much higher than expected is a major boost to its chances.

As I've been saying for ages, a green light for the festival is not just about vaccination but a combination of some vaccination and decent testing. Vaccinating the vulnerable + good onsite testing + better weather - it might just be enough...   

Let's hope you're right.

In any case, we're a bit closer to PS happening than we were yesterday, so all in all, it's a good day :)

The news of a good working vaccine this early is definitely going to put some (a lot of) weight on A. organizers and B. governments. (And C. Artists, but I aways think 99% of the artists will be up for playing any show anywhere and can decide very late of they show up or not).

On top of this, more and more stories about events (not only festivals) investigating how to work with these quick test procedures. Quick tests that are getting more and more accurate and are being rolled out as of now. 

Alle these things combined make me quite positive about next summer. 

Edited by lighthouse

Let's not forget there are 6 more vaccines in the final stage of testing with very similar methods to the Pfizer vaccine - so even if there are supply issues with the one announced today - if half get approved, there should be enough vaccines for mass inoculation by March.

Not to mention the mass testing, we're testing all of Liverpool (a 500,000 person city) - so I think in 6 months time, testing the whole capacity of a festival will be possible. I'm hopeful that June could still happen, but they should move it to August just to be on the safe side.

Spain's health minister Salvador Illa has said the first doses of the promising Pfizer vaccine could reach the country in early 2021.

The government expects to get enough doses initially to vaccinate 10million people.

Only about 5million people in Spain are over 70 so they could cover all of the high risk group with the first batch.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

Spain's health minister Salvador Illa has said the first doses of the promising Pfizer vaccine could reach the country in early 2021.

The government expects to get enough doses initially to vaccinate 10million people.

Only about 5million people in Spain are over 70 so they could cover all of the high risk group with the first batch.

Also: "Enough people would be vaccinated by April-May, so that the fight against the pandemic in Spain would move to another stage "said the Health Minister.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:30 AM, xxialac said:

Keep in mind that everyone needs two doses of the vaccine. Information on that has been conflicting. Germany and the US will probably have a slightly preferred treatment too, because of the companies involved, which might slow down the distribution in other countries.

The news is very good and something that had not been predicted. If production and roll-out work out well, things could go back to normal sooner than expected, indeed.

However, don't carry this optimism too far. As knowledgable as the UK guy is, he might just not have had mass events in mind when he said "back to normal". A 90% immunization of large parts of the population would indeed make most parts of life go back to normal, but I don't see that as sufficient for festivals, where the sheer mass of close contact would spread the virus significantly, even in a partly immunized crowd. 
Many in the industry are more optimistic with the combination of the vaccine and cheaper tests (a different method promises to be available at around 25€ now in Germany), but planning for large scale festivals might still not work out for 2021. Keep in mind that even if Primavera rescheduled for August/Septermber 21 right away, many other festivals would have to follow suit to keep bands available. 

With these unexpected good news, I see a more relaxed 2021, but it is still hard to imagine a 70.000 people festival. The next two months will be crucial. If everything will go as Pfizer/Biontech announcend, I'm willig to walk back all my pessimism and apologize to everyone here, if Primavera goes ahead.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Downvote 1

The news lately has definitely been very positive. But its still very hard to imagine 50-60k people jammed in one place only 6-7 months from now. End of summer does look a bit more optimistic. I guess events will wait until end of January for final decisions.

3 hours ago, chilirocker said:

Apparently All Points East has been pushed back until the end of August - they were due to have Tame Impala, Massive Attack and a few others from the Primavera bill - if they kept some of their 2020 line up. I imagine something similar will happen to Primavera. 

Can't find this news anywhere🤷🏻‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Fabrizzo said:

Can't find this news anywhere🤷🏻‍♂️

Still no official news (neither about the festival being regularly scheduled in May), but they're discussing a lot in the APE forum, including a Moderator apparently close to the fire.
This could not affect Primavera Sound anyway. They could also become 2 different festivals in 2 different periods in 2021. Who knows.

Edited by gigi21

3 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Keep in mind that everyone needs two doses of the vaccine. Information on that has been conflicting. Germany and the US will probably have a slightly preferred treatment too, because of the companies involved, which might slow down the distribution in other countries.

The news is very good and something that had not been predicted. If production and roll-out work out well, things could go back to normal sooner than expected, indeed.

However, don't carry this optimism too far. As knowledgable as the UK guy is, he might just not have had mass events in mind when he said "back to normal". A 90% immunization of large parts of the population would indeed make most parts of life go back to normal, but I don't see that as sufficient for festivals, where the sheer mass of close contact would spread the virus significantly, even in a partly immunized crowd. 
Many in the industry are more optimistic with the combination of the vaccine and cheaper tests (a different method promises to be available at around 25€ now in Germany), but planning for large scale festivals might still not work out for 2021. Keep in mind that even if Primavera rescheduled for August/Septermber 21 right away, many other festivals would have to follow suit to keep bands available. 

With these unexpected good news, I see a more relaxed 2021, but it is still hard to imagine a 70.000 people festival. The next two months will be crucial. If everything will go as Pfizer/Biontech announcend, I'm willig to walk back all my pessimism and apologize to everyone here, if Primavera goes ahead.

Yeah, I know you need 2 doses.

I said Spain has enough doses to vaccinate 10 million people.

They've said they have 20 million doses.

20/2 = 10.

Otherwise, fair comment. Not suggesting Primavera June is a done deal or even August is but it's possible.

Just now, daveje said:

If anyone remembers me suggesting that post-Brexit touring is going to cause enormous hassles , here's a bit more info: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1326554078256656389.html

Too depressing. Let's pass a law to introduce bureaucracy, red tape and ultimately additional cost to much that we do. 

Utterly brainless...

8 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Ticketmaster are also preparing some vaccine/testing mechanism to allow entrance to event

They might set the industry standard to something similar

https://pitchfork.com/news/ticketmaster-announces-plan-to-check-coronavirus-vaccine-statuses-before-concerts/

Interesting. I would expect fewer than 10% of Primavera attendees to be vaccinated by June (as they are prioritising older people and limited number of vaccines and not possible to pay for a vaccine privately) so this status check is really about testing.