Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

Coachella delayed until October.

Can't say I'm surprised by this, but nevertheless not a good news for us.

If I try to be optimistic - we have 2 more months and we're not camping festival (in which it's obviously harder to maintain social distancing)

But the second wave is getting stronger and a festival in June seems more and more like pipe dreams

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Can't say I'm surprised by this, but nevertheless not a good news for us.

If I try to be optimistic - we have 2 more months and we're not camping festival (in which it's obviously harder to maintain social distancing)

But the second wave is getting stronger and a festival in June seems more and more like pipe dreams

I'm going to be glass half full. Coachella requires more planning and for bands to be touring which they seem not be doing in April much. And it's better that the second wave is happening now, earlier than originally forecast so should finish earlier too.

And those two months are another two months for the vaccine and testing to be implemented. Let's say that starts in earnest in January. Primavera will have 5 months to feel the benefits, Coachella only 3. Almost twice as long.

I don't think social distancing has anything to do with it. You can't remotely social distance at either festival...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm going to be glass half full. Coachella requires more planning and for bands to be touring which they seem not be doing in April much. And it's better that the second wave is happening now, earlier than originally forecast so should finish earlier too.

And those two months are another two months for the vaccine and testing to be implemented. Let's say that starts in earnest in January. Primavera will have 5 months to feel the benefits, Coachella only 3. Almost twice as long.

I don't think social distancing has anything to do with it. You can't remotely social distance at either festival...

I agree Coachella has many disadvantages corona-vise compared with PS, the camping also means more complicated logistics in case of late cancellation and more preparation (might be the reason to postpone so early).

second wave coming early doesn't help, it will end earlier and the third will start earlier... till the vaccine will come.

trying to be optimistic, really do. but it's getting harder and harder 

• Upvote 1

Remember that lots of Coachella is actually much more 'indoors' compared to a festival like Primavera. Because of the extreme heat they rely on lots of shaded mixed use indoor/outdoor areas, tents, a lot of people share houses nearby etc. A lot of it is way less exposed to the elements than Primavera is, which actually works in 'our' favour considering it's 95% outdoors.

I think April was always looking a bit dodgy given that Coachella would need to start work on on-site production weeks and weeks beforehand, plus the fact a lot of artists are shifting their own touring schedules to summer and later.

As I've said before, I have hopes that commonplace rapid testing being rolled out over the next couple of months, combined with vaccine news, will mean by February we'll be in a good place to confirm PS is going ahead.

Wow, really surprised by this massive wave of optimism here, but it is kind of funny. People trying to explain to themselves how a festival in mid April is actually hard to imagine, but then a fest in early June will likely go on. C mon guys, thats 6 weeks apart !? This is not happening, you cant do a massive 50,000 people event not knowing a few months ahead is your event taking place or not. Vaccine is not any closer today than it was 2 months ago. And all aside, but governments / cities etc will have a final word on this. And if today most of them are banning everything, masks everywhere, no more than 10 people at one place, etc, and then all of a sudden it will be okey to have 60,000 people at one place. I miss shows a lot, but this will take some time before it comes back.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Wow, really surprised by this massive wave of optimism here, but it is kind of funny. People trying to explain to themselves how a festival in mid April is actually hard to imagine, but then a fest in early June will likely go on. C mon guys, thats 6 weeks apart !? This is not happening, you cant do a massive 50,000 people event not knowing a few months ahead is your event taking place or not. Vaccine is not any closer today than it was 2 months ago. And all aside, but governments / cities etc will have a final word on this. And if today most of them are banning everything, masks everywhere, no more than 10 people at one place, etc, and then all of a sudden it will be okey to have 60,000 people at one place. I miss shows a lot, but this will take some time before it comes back.

It's not 6 weeks it's near as damn it 8 weeks. Look how much dramatic change happened in these 8 weeks.

image.png.d1116c1037c1d9f4fd38f4ae06ee3ea9.png

And the vaccine is, er, exactly 2 months closer than 2 months ago.

Another example of how much is 8 weeks, this time from Poland:

In mid April, our government decided to ban people even from entering forests (even with masks on). Basically, we were only allowed to go for essential shopping (with limitations) and work (those who were allowed to).
Two and a half month later, it was allowed to have 50% of stadium capacity filled during sports events which didn't lead to any increase in positive cases.

All this was during the first wave. Now, we know more about this virus and I guess we will know much more in April next year.

Not saying summer festivals will go on 100% as there are so many circumstances that are constantly changing, but c'mon, don't either say they won't happen for sure.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Ive come to terms with the fact if there are festivals next year in europe they are fairly likely to be without US acts. Cant see american based acts being over here by june.

Been wondering about this. I’ve said before I kinda booked because of pavement after initially planning a year off from PS. Obviously there’s a chance they might not go over to Spain even if the fest is on, along with who knows who.

but I guess what’s lingering in my head is how thin a line up could/would they put on?

Say, if it were somehow technically possible to still do the fest, but with only with European or even more localised bands, and of course line ups are always “subject to change”, I get that - would it be any good?

or are we all just desperate for any form of PS/live music and will be there with bells on?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ohjesus said:

but I guess what’s lingering in my head is how thin a line up could/would they put on?

Say, if it were somehow technically possible to still do the fest, but with only with European or even more localised bands, and of course line ups are always “subject to change”, I get that - would it be any good?

or are we all just desperate for any form of PS/live music and will be there with bells on?

I’m firmly in the “i will go whatever the lineup” camp - i just love festivals and live music so much and have missed it incredibly and its only been just over 6 months. By the time real shows are back it will have been over a year.

it would be a shame (in theory) to miss the US acts but they’d probably be able to get some replacements. Or give longer sets, or whatever tbh 😂

I dont see how only us acts pull out. I think it's going to be all or nothing. Either we somehow defeat corona (vaccine, cure, testings, other miracle) and then all are in, or we'll have nothing.

More likely is international festival vs local. If the state of Corona still sucks, it might be only for Spanish bands and crowd, but excluding only Americans seems weird

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I dont see how only us acts pull out. I think it's going to be all or nothing. Either we somehow defeat corona (vaccine, cure, testings, other miracle) and then all are in, or we'll have nothing.

More likely is international festival vs local. If the state of Corona still sucks, it might be only for Spanish bands and crowd, but excluding only Americans seems weird

Only North American acts pull out because they have to plan their transatlantic tours more in advance, there are more cost involved and visa headaches. Europeans can be much more flexible.

Primavera won’t go ahead with Spanish-bands only but it could happily do so with European bands replacing the North American ones that lose their nerve. It’s not like there aren’t 150-200 high quality acts in Europe all keen on an overdue payday...

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Which European acts are touring then and could fill in as a headliner if it comes to it? Only 2 of the 9 headliners are European so they might need to line up a fair few as potential replacements.

Foals, for one... 

I know Foals played Prima before, but I don't think that act fits their demographic anymore.

Thom Yorke springs to mind. 

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Which European acts are touring then and could fill in as a headliner if it comes to it? Only 2 of the 9 headliners are European so they might need to line up a fair few as potential replacements.

Foals, for one... 

didn't see anything about touring, but the Doves released a new album recently

29 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I know Foals played Prima before, but I don't think that act fits their demographic anymore.

Thom Yorke springs to mind. 

Good call. I think there's a reasonable chance he was a secret unannounced guest last year (they were talking about having some major surprises for their 20th anniversary)

20 hours ago, xxialac said:

Foals, for one... 

Rosalía. And if there ir a big lack of headliners, Los Planetas are huge in Spain.

Edited by johnybegood
  • Upvote 1