Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

It's a lot easier for Bonnaroo to move to September because they've not done any lineup announcements yet, and probably are still liasing with acts about it.

Personally I don't think PS would move again now it's all been sold and headliners are locked in, and I'm cautiously optimistic that whatever combination of tech/vaccine/testing stuff comes through over this winter will mean that we're good to go by June.

• Upvote 1

Yeah really don't see yet another delay of the same lineup/festival. If June doesn't get to go ahead I can't see anything other than it being cancelled completely and moving on to 2022. After the whole moving to August debacle this year I don't think it'd be worth attempting similar again only for it to possibly have to be cancelled/moved again. Still cautiously optimistic for June as well. Fingers crossed!

12 hours ago, Nesser said:

Can't see a second delay to August with a third round of emails asking the same bands to relocate again. But just my bet, no idea about what they think.

why? the bands are in the same shitty situation as PS are, by June it will be no shows for over a year. I assume most bands will rather it's delayed again than cancelled

Because some bands won't make it to August '21. See Bad Bunny: he was on June'20 and June'21 but wasn't available for August'20. A new delay means asking 200 acts whether they can make it, rearranging the line up with those who can and asking new acts to fill in for those who cannot. A massive headache. And given that right now the line up may be the biggest they have ever pulled, I can't help to think that they are gonna try everything they can but August '21 is just out of the picture.

Look, I love Tyler but in 2022 Igor would be 3 years old. That's unprecedent for almost any current headliner at Primavera, so I'd say that we see this line up on June '21 or we don't.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

Because some bands won't make it to August '21. See Bad Bunny: he was on June'20 and June'21 but wasn't available for August'20. A new delay means asking 200 acts whether they can make it, rearranging the line up with those who can and asking new acts to fill in for those who cannot. A massive headache. And given that right now the line up may be the biggest they have ever pulled, I can't help to think that they are gonna try everything they can but August '21 is just out of the picture.

Look, I love Tyler but in 2022 Igor would be 3 years old. That's unprecedent for almost any current headliner at Primavera, so I'd say that we see this line up on June '21 or we don't.

You need to consider that they've *literally demonstrated* they they can pull off persuading bands to delay from June to August because they succeeded in doing so only a few months ago. Yes, Bad Bunny and Kurt Vile couldn't make it - would that have ruined it?

And the bands and their touring crew are naturally very motivated to play, this is their job, without being able to play how do they pay their bills?

Edited by xxialac

No Bad Bunny, no Primavera. Don't even dare to disagree with this.

Now seriously, the fact they pulled it off once doesn't mean they will do it again. Last May we were all so hopeful this could be over by summer and well, we're still pretty fucked in Spain. Say the situation improves dramatically over the next 5 months and the government announces mid-April full flexibility for large gatherings of people starting 1st of July: I'll be the first one on board to push the festival to August. With no regulation/evidence that the situation may be slightly better then than in June I can't see it.

47 minutes ago, Nesser said:

No Bad Bunny, no Primavera. Don't even dare to disagree with this.

Now seriously, the fact they pulled it off once doesn't mean they will do it again. Last May we were all so hopeful this could be over by summer and well, we're still pretty fucked in Spain. Say the situation improves dramatically over the next 5 months and the government announces mid-April full flexibility for large gatherings of people starting 1st of July: I'll be the first one on board to push the festival to August. With no regulation/evidence that the situation may be slightly better then than in June I can't see it.

first of all, they did it twice already... to August and later to june 21, so third time is possible

of course it's not optimal, and of course you'll lose some bands in the process (but gain others, as we saw this time), but if, god forbid, June is too early corona-wise, postponing is far far better than cancelling, even with 80-85% of the lineup

and obviously we're far from making this decision yet. we still have no idea if June is possible or not, and until we do, they wont change anything

• Upvote 1

Looks like they are only going to vaccinate over 50s (in the UK at least).

I'd say this is good news on the whole. Quicker to have the over-50s all vaccinated (33% of the population) than all adults and once a reasonable number are protected society can open up again, especially combined with new quick testing methods which would be possible at secure private mass events like festivals.

More rapid/cheap testing news. There'll no way this sort of thing won't be rolled out by spring considering so many places are working on it.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2075539327855/mit-covid-19-test-could-be-made-so-cheap-that-people-test-themselves-every-day

Testing for COVID-19 is a crucial part of keeping people safe and stopping the of the virus. But doing so is often a complicated process.

Now, a new test by MIT and colleagues promises to make testing so cheap and effective that people could potentially do it every day. Researchers at MIT and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, along with their collaborators at the University of Washington, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and the Ragon Institute have devised a CRISPR-based diagnostic for COVID-19, called STOPCovid, that can achieve results in 30 minutes to an hour.

“We need rapid testing to become part of the fabric of this situation so that people can test themselves every day, which will slow down outbreak,” said Omar Abudayyeh, an MIT McGovern Fellow working on the diagnostic.

The researchers tested STOPCovid on 402 patient samples (202 positive and 200 negative) and found that the test detected 93% of the positive cases as determined by PCR tests for COVID-19. In addition, the test is made to be simple enough to carry out without the need for any specialized laboratory equipment.

This is because the researchers aimed to make a test that could easily be carried out at doctors’ offices, pharmacies, nursing homes, and schools. “We developed STOPCovid so that everything could be done in a single step,” MIT biological engineering graduate student and first author of the paper Julia Joung said.

“A single step means the test can be potentially performed by nonexperts outside of laboratory settings.” The team is now trialing STOPCovid with saliva samples to further simplify the process.

“The goal is to make this test easy to use and sensitive, so that we can tell whether or not someone is carrying the virus as early as possible,” Feng Zhang, a core member of the Broad Institute and senior author on the paper, concluded.

55 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

More rapid/cheap testing news. There'll no way this sort of thing won't be rolled out by spring considering so many places are working on it.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2075539327855/mit-covid-19-test-could-be-made-so-cheap-that-people-test-themselves-every-day

I've got even better news for you - an Israeli startup is rolling out an FDA approved 23(!) minute test this week.. 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-may-be-first-to-deploy-new-23-minute-virus-test-defense-minister-says/

• Like 1

Primavera are collaborating with a show at the Apolo this month which is a trial run for future events.

1,000 attendees, obligatory use of masks and gel but no social distancing. Pre-gig covid test and follow-up tests afterwards.

https://www.mondosonoro.com/noticias-actualidad-musical/sala-apolo-antigenos/

https://www.lavanguardia.com/cultura/20201004/483848891872/sala-apolo-concierto-piloto-mil-asistentes-test-rapido-antigenos-coronavirus-covid19.html

15 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

Primavera are collaborating with a show at the Apolo this month which is a trial run for future events.

1,000 attendees, obligatory use of masks and gel but no social distancing. Pre-gig covid test and follow-up tests afterwards.

https://www.mondosonoro.com/noticias-actualidad-musical/sala-apolo-antigenos/

https://www.lavanguardia.com/cultura/20201004/483848891872/sala-apolo-concierto-piloto-mil-asistentes-test-rapido-antigenos-coronavirus-covid19.html

As good as it is that they are doing that to learn about one-off indoor gigs, it's not a trial run for festivals.

After all it may show that wearing masks is safe for this 2 hour concert and people may be ok with doing that but not many people want to wear a mask for the long haul duration of a 4 day festival.

And if it doesn't show it's safe, a festival is even less viable...

The 'answer' to mass events remains vaccines and especially testing, not increased maskwearing and handwashing.

I think a lot of people in this industry have given up on vaccines. That option is less and less likely in such a short notice, and especially considering that you wont be able to have vaccine in January for example, and then expect the whole world to get vaccinated before April / May. It will take 8-12 months at least. And nobody can guarantee vaccine in the next 6 months, a year, 2 years ?

I believe people will turn their attention and hopes into quick testing, quick results, and letting only covid negative people into their events.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrej said:

I think a lot of people in this industry have given up on vaccines. That option is less and less likely in such a short notice, and especially considering that you wont be able to have vaccine in January for example, and then expect the whole world to get vaccinated before April / May. It will take 8-12 months at least. And nobody can guarantee vaccine in the next 6 months, a year, 2 years ?

I believe people will turn their attention and hopes into quick testing, quick results, and letting only covid negative people into their events.

My guess is it's a combination of the both i.e. a reasonable level of immunity in the population is required (through prior infection) and more importantly that some of the most vulnerable are protected (though vaccines). This in turn allows for the inevitably imperfect testing regime to take place at mass events.

If testing was 100% accurate it would be different - but it will never get to that level so both required.

The whole world does not need to get vaccinated, just a reasonable number plus good testing.

• Upvote 1