Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

Just now, lighthouse said:

Why? It won't make a difference to the Primavera lineup now will it? 

OK. So what penalty do you think bands (who took a real punt on joining the poster and which helped Primavera to sell out) will face from cancelling their appearance, due to change of tour plans during a global pandemic?

13 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Wrong topic? 

If Miley Cyrus can be booked by Primavera, then I can't see any reason to rule out the likes of Muse these days. 

And a safer bet. Inevitably European-based acts will be less likely to lose their nerve and cancel European tours. 

20 hours ago, daveje said:

There has to be a general European touring season to make it worthwhile for bands to tour. If the normal Europe club circuit isn't fully up and running next May, a May/June Primavera almost certainly won't happen.

I think we can accept that the UK is integral to the European touring season. I don’t see much chance of gigs happening in the UK by next May. 

News this morning "leading member of the Oxford university team trying to find a vaccine for coronavirus has not ruled it out being ready for this winter"

The success or otherwise of this seems at the heart of what happens in June. @daveje is right, bands aren't going to do a one off show for Primavera.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

If Miley Cyrus can be booked by Primavera, then I can't see any reason to rule out the likes of Muse these days. 

And a safer bet. Inevitably European-based acts will be less likely to lose their nerve and cancel European tours. 

I can't think of many acts that would be more out of place for Primavera than Muse. 

On 8/24/2020 at 12:53 PM, xxialac said:

Rumours of All Points East (May) moving to the end August. If this plays out, this is not good news for other festivals at the same time of year such as Primavera.

Festivals need bands to be touring to go ahead and if many move to later in the year, will thins out the potential bookings. I'm not convinced those bookings from the poster are watertight.

Maybe we are going to have Summer Primavera after all...only next Summer.

It’s negativity after negativity from you in here 😒.

It’s one single festival moving their dates. Literally every other festival is keeping with their dates in May/June/July. That’s what will make the bands come over. All the other ones and not a single medium size festival in London at the back end of August. They’ve all signed the contract to play Primavera. They won’t be backing out just because one new festival has decided to move its dates. And a lot of acts would be coming over for Barcelona and Porto. 

Idles have announced tour dates this week for next May. Fontaine’s have already done so. RBCF have announced UK dates around Primavera. Acts aren’t coming round for just Primavera. 

• Like 1

Here's another - just announced today. It's crazy to deny the reality, which is that some transatlantic acts are understandably nervous about committing to a Spring tour in Europe and would rather schedule for the Summer or beyond.

A trickle could turn into a wave. Not that that will happen...but it might.

Bon Iver have postponed their European tour due to the pandemic. The shows—first set for spring 2020 and then January 2021—are now scheduled for summer and autumn 2021.

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Here's another - just announced today. It's crazy to deny the reality, which is that some transatlantic acts are understandably nervous about committing to a Spring tour in Europe and would rather schedule for the Summer or beyond.

A trickle could turn into a wave. Not that that will happen...but it might.

Bon Iver have postponed their European tour due to the pandemic. The shows—first set for spring 2020 and then January 2021—are now scheduled for summer and autumn 2021.

It's funny, this actually worked in my favour, my partner was about to drop off our first kid mid January. Asked her did she think she could cage the beast until the Bon Iver gig was over Jan 12th. 

Now all we have to do is get a babysitter in August :) 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, xxialac said:"They won’t be backing out just because one new festival has decided to move its dates"

Nice straw man!

It’s having a glass half full 🤦🏼‍♂️. Not having constant negative opinions and bringing it onto a forum where you’ve got quite a lot of people trying to look forward to a festival 9 months away cause they’ve had a shit time in regards to live music this year.  

And Bon Iver moving dates from January to October means absolutely nothing. June’s 5 months from January, not 5 days away. It’s probably the earliest time available in between Bon Iver’s Aus dates in April (which they haven’t moved even though it’s earlier than June 😒) and The National having tour dates smack bang in the middle of Summer. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, burnleynotbarcelona said:

I think we can accept that the UK is integral to the European touring season. I don’t see much chance of gigs happening in the UK by next May. 

I"m afraid I have to remind you that the UK did a very silly thing, and left the EU at the start of the year. After the transition period ends at the end of this year, new rules will come into place that will seriously impact most bands that try to tour both the UK and the rest of Europe:

• there won't be free movement back and forth;
  • UK musicians will need a touring visa to perform in Europe and probably need to pay additional fees for the privilege. These rules might well be reciprocated for musicians going the other direction;
  • bands from outside Europe will need to deal with two sets of regulations to do UK/Europe touring, instead of just one.

All of this increases the costs of touring both the UK and Europe. For the larger bands this isn't a huge issue, but it could be serious problem for smaller bands, such as the typical Primavera undercard. I don't think you can consider UK and Europe tours to be the same thing any longer.

6 minutes ago, daveje said:

I"m afraid I have to remind you that the UK did a very silly thing, and left the EU at the start of the year. After the transition period ends at the end of this year, new rules will come into place that will seriously impact most bands that try to tour both the UK and the rest of Europe:

• there won't be free movement back and forth;
  • UK musicians will need a touring visa to perform in Europe and probably need to pay additional fees for the privilege. These rules might well be reciprocated for musicians going the other direction;
  • bands from outside Europe will need to deal with two sets of regulations to do UK/Europe touring, instead of just one.

All of this increases the costs of touring both the UK and Europe. For the larger bands this isn't a huge issue, but it could be serious problem for smaller bands, such as the typical Primavera undercard. I don't think you can consider UK and Europe tours to be the same thing any longer.

What a ridiculous act of self-harm...🧨😮