Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

I doubt they'll ever do a full-length album again, more likely just EPs and tracks here and there. The songs they did with Forest Swords and Young Fathers, and Tricky, a few years ago were great. I just don't think they've got the work ethic to be doing full projects anymore, which they've always seemed to find stressful - why bother I guess, when they can still headline festivals on back catalogue alone.

2 minutes ago, unodosseb said:

As this may be my first time going to PS, how quickly do tickets usually sell out? Do I need to start pushing my friends into booking their tickets?

They released something yesterday saying tickets were almost gone, but you should be able to buy one/some nearer the time pretty easily from resale markets.

13 hours ago, Marty76 said:

Maybe Fontaines may outgrow Pitchfork if their second album does as well as I expect it to do...

They have had an incredible couple of years. I can't believe I saw them play to 50 people in a room above a pub at The Great Escape in 2018 - totally blew me away. I had one of those moments thinking ...this is really something special. It's great when it works out for a band. They deserve all the success.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, unodosseb said:

As this may be my first time going to PS, how quickly do tickets usually sell out? Do I need to start pushing my friends into booking their tickets?

As well as what @FloorFiller says, today is also the last day to get tickets at €165, from tomorrow onwards they go up to €195. If you’re pretty sure about going then I’d say now is a good time to get them but obviously €165 is a quite a big investment for a lot of people at the moment and there’s always some on resale nearer the time.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

I've never understood this 'performance' concept, when it's just a DJ behind the decks. He might be working magic with his fingers but from the audience's perspective, it's just a man standing behind a desk, looking intense and some music coming out. Not even any visuals probably. Shame he's not bringing his orchestra show which does look spectacular.

Agreed, but some electronic musicians like Four Tet can create magic out of nothing. His set (without any visual support) at PS2018 was marvelous. :)

20 minutes ago, Bram said:

Agreed, but some electronic musicians like Four Tet can create magic out of nothing. His set (without any visual support) at PS2018 was marvelous. :)

Funny how opinions differ, I was massively disappointed by that set and which I thought could have done with the visuals .

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Funny how opinions differ, I was massively disappointed by that set and which I thought could have done with the visuals .

I've seen him employ two visual modes for his live shows - the full on Squidsoup designed light show he used at Ally Pally and then a few more times since and the bare minimum desk light which he uses for his annual 5 quid a ticket Brixton shows. I find them both impressive in their own ways. Guess it really depends on the circumtsances (friends, alcohol, surroundings, etc.)  

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Agree. I saw four tet live a couple of  other times and I found it very disappointing at PS 2021. 

I think there will be more interesting djs or live electronic acts than Jeff Mills at the festival tbh. Also, I think that PS is not that much suitable for classic warehouse techno. Shanti Celeste, ben ufo or Jamie xx will fit better

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Don't think The National will have anything new out what with Matt about to release his solo album. Hoping they play a set that covers a lot of their back catalogue rather than one that focuses on IAETF, but tbh I'm expecting it to feature pretty heavily.

Some of their recent festival sets had as little as 3-4 new songs out of 16, and some of them like Rylan and Light Years are IMO as good as their best material. By the time this show happens, the album will be 2 years old, and this will likely to be one of their first big headline sets post-COVID. I'm fairly optimistic we'll get a career-spanning set.

for easyJet, for this year I booked flights the day they went on sale in 2019 and they never went lower as I monitored it every couple of months for mates. Moneysavingexpert advise that if you see a cheap flight it’s unlikely to go down. 

THAT SAID I’m definitely going to hold fire this year though. EasyJet are saying refunds will be Processed “late summer” at the earliest and that they have a huge backlog. 

better to pay for a slightly more expensive flight than a cheaper one on an airline that’s gone bust. 

26 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

for easyJet, for this year I booked flights the day they went on sale in 2019 and they never went lower as I monitored it every couple of months for mates. Moneysavingexpert advise that if you see a cheap flight it’s unlikely to go down. 

THAT SAID I’m definitely going to hold fire this year though. EasyJet are saying refunds will be Processed “late summer” at the earliest and that they have a huge backlog. 

better to pay for a slightly more expensive flight than a cheaper one on an airline that’s gone bust. 

If Easyjet go bust, we're all out there scavenging for food. They look very resilient, as do Ryanair. Many other airlines, I'd be wary of.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

If Easyjet go bust, we're all out there scavenging for food. They look very resilient, as do Ryanair. Many other airlines, I'd be wary of.

For sure, for sure - but then, I thought I’d be nursing a comedown from PS20 this very week

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

I've never understood this 'performance' concept, when it's just a DJ behind the decks. He might be working magic with his fingers but from the audience's perspective, it's just a man standing behind a desk, looking intense and some music coming out. Not even any visuals probably. Shame he's not bringing his orchestra show which does look spectacular.

I think there's an art to good mixing, song selection and reading a crowd personally.

Kamma & Masalo are on this years lineup and are absolute party starters

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

When are people going to book accommodation for next year? we're a group of 12 so could be harder to find things closer to the time but unsure whether to book anything now on Airbnb

Don't book now - a lot of places won't have updated their listings or even put them on yet. September/October/November should be fine. I'm not sure you'll find one place for 12 people – it might be worth looking to spread across a couple of flats within the same building/vicinity.

Edited by jannybruck

1 hour ago, endswithMJ said:

When are people going to book accommodation for next year? we're a group of 12 so could be harder to find things closer to the time but unsure whether to book anything now on Airbnb

I’m booked, but it’s a “pay on arrival” hotel. 

it’s now nearly three times the price since the line up came out, or I’ve been hearing that from idles fans anyway. They seem to be rabidly trying to find rooms near the fest since their late addition to the line up. 

Edited by Ohjesus
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There will be an amazing 2 years and 2 days from Pavement announcing they were playing PS to actually turning up on stage. Must be a record!

I remember thinking ‘well this is gonna be a long wait’ when they were announced for 2020.

Gonna be so so worth it - I’m gonna lose it as soon as they walk on stage.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Don't book now - a lot of places won't have updated their listings or even put them on yet. September/October/November should be fine. I'm not sure you'll find one place for 12 people – it might be worth looking to spread across a couple of flats within the same building/vicinity.

Found a few on Airbnb but definitely less common - tempted to wait but the option to spread is there