Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

The concept of Headlining doesn't really apply to Primavera, because there isn't a big band closing off the main stage at 11 pm. The bands are listed alphabetically. There are four main stages (plus the Auditori). They don't need or deserve to shunted out to Morder as an afterthought to provide background music for National fans boozing.

Tyler, the Creator, Bad Bunny, The National, Pavement, Gorillaz, Tame Impala, and possibly Massive Attack

Those are the headliners imo - we’re just lucky that Primavera tends to book two of these similarly sized acts per day, as a lot of European festivals do. 

I think you’re massively underestimating the crowd they’ll bring. Them being back is a big dream for a large portion of regular Primavera attendees, plus people who will come just for them. I don’t know why you’d think their crowd will largely be disinterested fans of other acts - people will be there for them, regardless of stage:

Edited by FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

The concept of Headlining doesn't really apply to Primavera, because there isn't a big band closing off the main stage at 11 pm. The bands are listed alphabetically. There are four main stages (plus the Auditori). They don't need or deserve to shunted out to Morder as an afterthought to provide background music for National fans boozing.

I totally agree with you other than in the traditional sense of main stage as 'where the biggest acts play', there are definitely two main stages.

I prefer avoiding Mordor unless I feel it's an act I absolutely don't want to miss or it's the early evening.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Hmm just notice the ever reliable Ken has mentioned that he thinks we’ve got some more big acts left to be announced over in the Rock Werchter thread (whilst replying to somebody about NIN...)

Not gonna get my hopes up cause the lineup is already stacked and it’s hard to believe that there’s more big/headliner acts coming, but something to mull over at least.

I heard some murmurings of EU festivals potentially booking Bjork's orchestral tour (basically a 'greatest hits'), whose rescheduled dates kicks from this year kicks off a week after Primavera '21, at theatre venues in Paris/Berlin/Helsinki. She'd already confirmed for Blue Dot, so it's not out of the realms of possibility her doing it outdoors, but I've no idea where she'd fit in on the lineup.

Edited by jannybruck

10 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I heard some murmurings of EU festivals potentially booking Bjork's orchestral tour (basically a 'greatest hits'), whose rescheduled dates kicks from this year kicks off a week after Primavera '21, at theatre venues in Paris/Berlin/Helsinki. She'd already confirmed for Blue Dot, so it's not out of the realms of possibility her doing it outdoors, but I've no idea where she'd fit in on the lineup.

Frankly I don't care where she'd fit in. Get her booked!!!!

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Declan said:

What’s with the weird The National bashing mate? 😅 I was watching their Primavera 18 set they live-streamed the other day and haven’t felt this much joy and festival/live show anticipation in weeks.

I really look forward to seeing them again sooner rather than later.

Edited by lighthouse
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I don't think Bjork, 'greatest hits' and 'tour' ever really appear in the same sentence.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't think Bjork, 'greatest hits' and 'tour' ever really appear in the same sentence.

It's obviously not going to be a full greatest hits but the original pitch for it was that it's of "works so far", which most of her fanbase presumed meant classics rather than centered around one album like her last few shows.

Either way I've no idea how she would fit into their spending or programme, but it'd be a good ticket seller and is a female headline name.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

It's obviously not going to be a full greatest hits but the original pitch for it was that it's of "works so far", which most of her fanbase presumed meant classics rather than centered around one album like her last few shows.

Either way I've no idea how she would fit into their spending or programme, but it'd be a good ticket seller and is a female headline name.

You did write “basically a ‘greatest hits’” whereas I’m confident that won’t be the case, that’s all. 

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You did write “basically a ‘greatest hits’” whereas I’m confident that won’t be the case, that’s all. 

When it was announced a lot of the chatter amongst the fanbase was that it was planned to be centered around fan favourites and classics - so basically the nearest she's going to get to a greatest hits. I bought tickets, and was aware of the conversations going on at the time. It's not worth arguing the toss about: whether her plans for the set have changed by next year and she'll decide to do B-sides instead, that's up to her. I'm just reporting what the original talk was.

Anyway, I'm not sure they'd have enough budget for it but she's definitely available around the same period.

Edited by jannybruck

13 minutes ago, jonnyx said:

I don't get Gorillaz. 

I don't understand how when they don't know who's available yet on next years festival circuit (ie NIN), we've rushed to fill the major spots. 

This looks a panic to stop people wanting refunds. 

NIN have been very vocal about their upcoming tours so I don’t think it’s a case of Primavera rushing to get a lineup out and not realising NIN were available, and more NIN agreeing to play the 2022 festival instead to allow room for the 2020 headliners moving over, and maybe that was something neither Tame Impala or Gorillaz could accommodate for whatever reason so they filled in the gaps.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

NIN have been very vocal about their upcoming tours so I don’t think it’s a case of Primavera rushing to get a lineup out and not realising NIN were available, and more NIN agreeing to play the 2022 festival instead to allow room for the 2020 headliners moving over, and maybe that was something neither Tame Impala or Gorillaz could accommodate for whatever reason so they filled in the gaps.

This. They were already planned to play LA in 2020 and Barcelona in 2021. It makes sense for them the delay their schedule one year while also sticking to it. I guess we'll have them in LA next year and at PS Barcelona in two years. 

22 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

What’s with the weird The National bashing mate? 😅 I was watching their Primavera 18 set they live-streamed the other day and haven’t felt this much joy and festival/live show anticipation in weeks.

I really look forward to seeing them again sooner rather than later.

They're a very boring band with no memorable songs, who can't cut it live but are inexplicably popular. I would just ignore them but festivals keep booking them and people keep describing them as "indie" or "alternative" when they are basically just Deacon Blue in charity shop clothes.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

They're a very boring band with no memorable songs, who can't cut it live but are inexplicably popular. I would just ignore them but festivals keep booking them and people keep describing them as "indie" or "alternative" when they are basically just Deacon Blue in charity shop clothes.

Ouch. 

I personally am loving the sight of the 2021 lineup, including The National and especially Pavement. What I love even more is the fact that the new dates are in half-term! (first world teacher problems, I know.) 

I am currently trying to convince my partner that we should take the plunge and get tickets. However, she's a little concerned about how exhausting the festival sounds. We have done five Glastonburys together, but that is always considerably cooler and with the option of popping back to the tent for power-naps. Are there any places for a shady sit-down on sight (ideally with a stage still in view!)? Is it simply hard-work with little respite? How should I go about convincing? 

Any answers would be so appreciated! 

Just now, teamcampesinos! said:

Ouch. 

I personally am loving the sight of the 2021 lineup, including The National and especially Pavement. What I love even more is the fact that the new dates are in half-term! (first world teacher problems, I know.) 

I am currently trying to convince my partner that we should take the plunge and get tickets. However, she's a little concerned about how exhausting the festival sounds. We have done five Glastonburys together, but that is always considerably cooler and with the option of popping back to the tent for power-naps. Are there any places for a shady sit-down on sight (ideally with a stage still in view!)? Is it simply hard-work with little respite? How should I go about convincing? 

Any answers would be so appreciated! 

Primavera is infinitely easier than Glastonbury. Lots of places to sit down (and see the stage). Very late starts when it's cooler so the sun really isn't a big deal. 

And most of all sleeping in a comfortable hotel each night and lying in until lunchtime is much more restoring than being in a tent.

Just bring comfortable shoes.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

You seem to be caring about what’s being called alternative than most people.

I don't get how there can be so many people on here that know their way around the music scene and be so unrealistic at the same time.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Pavement, The National, Tyler, The Strokes, Bad Bunny, Tame Imapa and Gorillaz will play Mordor. We don't even need to debate that, no other stage would provide space for the crowds these acts draw. It will even be required to get approval for the security concept.

Its also highly unlikely that any other really big names will be announced if this line up persists. The current volatility in the music industry might mean cancellations that might be backupped by having a pre-contract agreement with a replacement. But if this line up stands, these are the Headliners.

Right now, the priority for PS is for them to keep liquidity. They cannot have too many people asking for refunds, because most money has been spent already. If acts (Lana, possibly Massive Attack) weren't able to definitely sign up until now and a replacement available, PS would go with that. A high numer of refunds would mean nothing less than the end of PS.

its possible that there is something up with MA that made them 95% certain, but nor annoucable at last minutes notice and they get announced when that is resolved. Any other major act would be a waste of money no festival could afford right now.

There is nothing right now that actually indicates anyhing like NIN or Björk. Its super unlikely bands the size of NIN would risk competing against all the 2020 acts, significantly lowering fees with costs staying the same. 

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, teamcampesinos! said:

Having done both PS and Glastonbury multiple times, I'd have to say that most of your questions are valid but you dont need to worry too much. That being said, there is very little shade on site and by the Sunday I normally end up feeling totally broken, but that can be said for the any festival. There are however ample places to sit down and rest but dont be expecting views quite like that at the Park Hill, for the most part you will have to stand to get a proper view of the stages. Barcelona in early June isnt necessarily as hot as you might be anticipating. Another key factor in this is that Primavera takes place right on the coast and so you are normally comforted by a beautiful sea breeze.

In all honesty I've encountered more uncomfortable heat/weather conditions at Glastonbury than I have at Primavera, most likely due to the face that Primavera tends to kick off a little later in the day (4/5pm) and that you get to return to a nice comfy bed every night.

Edited by Guy Incognito
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Having done both PS and Glastonbury multiple times, I'd have to say that the above is mostly correct. There is very little shade on site and by the Sunday I normally end up totally broken. There are however ample places to sit down and rest but dont be expecting views quite like that at the Park Hill, for the most part you will have to stand to get a proper view of the stages. Barcelona in early June isnt necessarily as hot as you might be anticipating. Another key factor in this is that Primavera takes place right on the coast and so you are normally comforted by a beautiful sea breeze.

In all honesty I've encountered more uncomfortable heat/weather conditions at Glastonbury than I have at Primavera, most likely due to the face that Primavera tends to kick off a little later in the day (4/5pm) and that you get to return to a nice comfy bed every night.

Agree with this. There's also the largest auditorium in Europe with very good gigs from 4pm - 10pm which is perfect for 

- an escape from the sun

- a strategic and very comfortable snooze in the dark

Edit: Unless Swans are playing there

Edited by xxialac