Legend Slot 2021

Chrisp1986

39 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Would Erasure fit in this slot? I've always thought they'd be good fun! 

I think Erasure have played before in a very low slot. They would not pack that pyramid field at all.

35 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I think it’ll have to broaden.
What with Di Ro, Kylie, Dolly, Bazza and Lionel they’ve had some stellar names recently.
Could J-Lo do it?
Robbie Williams is probably in the frame. 

I could see JLO taking a Janet Jackson type slot. I don't think she has enough hits in the UK to hold a Legends slot. 

To me, the Legend Slot has to be an act capable of filling the pyramid field and being considered a 'fourth' headline slot. 

Mariah Carey. Carole King, Genesis, The Kinks, Dire Straits, Billy Joel, Destiny's Child, No Doubt, Spice Girls, ABBA, Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Celine Dion are the type of acts I'd imagine Glastonbury would have on the fridge. Perhaps some large bands who have never done the festival would be on there too - but i'm not sure who they are. 

Considering getting Diana back will be a priority, there are definitely enough names to chance in the future. 

Edited by Matt42

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Erasure have played before in a very low slot. They would not pack that pyramid field at all.

I could see JLO taking a Janet Jackson type slot. I don't think she has enough hits in the UK to hold a Legends slot. 

To me, the Legend Slot has to be an act capable of filling the pyramid field and being considered a 'fourth' headline slot. 

Mariah Carey. Carole King, Genesis, The Kinks, Dire Straits, Billy Joel, Destiny's Child, No Doubt, Spice Girls, ABBA, Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Celine Dion are the type of acts I'd imagine Glastonbury would have on the fridge. Perhaps some large bands who have never done the festival would be on there too - but i'm not sure who they are. 

Considering getting Diana back will be a priority, there are definitely enough names to chance in the future. 

If ABBA return after a 40 year absence there’s no way they are playing Sunday afternoon.

You might as well say Led Zeppelin.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

If ABBA return after a 40 year absence there’s no way they are playing Sunday afternoon.

You might as well say Led Zeppelin.

yeah tbh you're probably right I am only just noticing how stupid that suggestion is.

I assumed it would be some makeshift abba with not all the group members, but I guess that would still be a pretty big deal too. 

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Big lol @ thinking No Doubt are big enough for the legends slot

I mean - you're comparing them to Kylie, Lionel, Dolly, and Diana - but before all of that there was Kenny Rogers and ELO.

Are ELO bigger than No Doubt? I think ELO was the biggest flop legends slot booking in recent glasto history. A complete non event.

I think the festival will reach a point soon where they will need to define exactly what they mean by “legend”.

Are we talking an older, venerable act who has an acclaimed back catalogue to run through? (Paul Simon, Kenny, ELO)

Or are they after someone, who may be a little cheesy but guarantees a big crowd and party vibe? (Lionel, Kylie, Bazza)

There is a sweet spot in the middle of that venn diagram (Dolly, Tom Jones) but the number of candidates in that pool is ever diminishing.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I mean - you're comparing them to Kylie, Lionel, Dolly, and Diana - but before all of that there was Kenny Rogers and ELO.

Are ELO bigger than No Doubt? I think ELO was the biggest flop legends slot booking in recent glasto history. A complete non event.

ELO sell out arenas and stadia. They are considerably bigger than No Doubt.

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think the festival will reach a point soon where they will need to define exactly what they mean by “legend”.

Are we talking an older, venerable act who has an acclaimed back catalogue to run through? (Paul Simon, Kenny, ELO)

Or are they after someone, who may be a little cheesy but guarantees a big crowd and party vibe? (Lionel, Kylie, Bazza)

There is a sweet spot in the middle of that venn diagram (Dolly, Tom Jones) but the number of candidates in that pool is ever diminishing.

This all day long for me. 

That Sunday afternoon slot has dug me out of a hole many times. 

I want cheesy tunes, sun and cider. 

In that order. 

Give it 20 years and you can stick Craig David there.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I do wonder who they'll get in like 30~ years time.

Anyone fancy Killers/Brandon Flowers in the legend slot for the 75th anniversary?

That gives Caledonian Gonzo 25 years to build up 100s of Brandon Flowers put downs to use from the announcement to the actual day.

I think it would be great if acts not quite big enough to headline would take it. Would be good to see some acts who were unlikely to get a call to headline play the festival. I guess there is evidence that this could happen, with aerosmith being booked for 2020 and all that!

22 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

1998, we were at a stadium gig in Glasgow, Billy Joel and Elton John.  They both played a set each then did a joint set at the end. Absolutely tremendous gig. 

I am supremely jealous, sounds incredible

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it would be great if acts not quite big enough to headline would take it. Would be good to see some acts who were unlikely to get a call to headline play the festival. I guess there is evidence that this could happen, with aerosmith being booked for 2020 and all that!

So Foals yeah? 😉