Legend Slot 2021

Chrisp1986

I agree @Matt42 I think moving away from the "legend" branding to "Sunday teatime" and using it as an unofficial 4th headliner spot for acts in that slightly lower tier would be a great move. Joking apart, Foals we old have been a great option this year. They get the huge crowd and exposure but they're not quite in the headliner conversation. Could give acts a big leg up to that next level as well, or alternatively get acts that have lost relevance, Kings of Leon for example, on the bill in a big slot without wasting a headliner position on them.

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it would be great if acts not quite big enough to headline would take it. Would be good to see some acts who were unlikely to get a call to headline play the festival. I guess there is evidence that this could happen, with aerosmith being booked for 2020 and all that!

Isn’t that just subbing? Or just playing a bit lower down?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

They get the prime TV slot and fairly unopposed crowd slot though. Foals on the teatime slot would have a much bigger crowd than in a sub slot, for example.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kylie could have subbed. I think any legends slot booking could have just been a sub. I think with a bit of clever branding it could be something cool that the festival could do. Perhaps it might rope in some big artists hell bent on headlining to do the festival.

Plus I think most major festivals now try and move away from the restrictiveness of three headliners. Most european festivals and american festivals try and have more than three billed headliners at their festival. Glastonbury has started 'hinting' that it is going down this path too... so long may it continue. 

Duran Duran would work really well since they can fit in all the hits in 75 mins with zero filler. Were they tagged as a BST exclusive? Gwen Stefani was from that show. 

i think Depeche Mode could be a great choice, but theyre the type of act that would be a headline or nothing. And theyre due to come out  of hiding next year anyway with another album. So they would def put in new material even with limited time. Also it would be weird seeing them in daylight. 

You could argue that they had 2 “legends” booked last year with Janet Jackson also on the bill and somebody that ticks the boxes of what is considered to be worthy for that slot.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Duran Duran would work really well since they can fit in all the hits in 75 mins with zero filler. Were they tagged as a BST exclusive?

No, they were tagged as an IOW exclusive.

And then got announced for BST.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

How about Huey Lewis?

I think he might be done with touring cause of Tinnitus. I was going to Outside Lands Fest in San Francisco a couple years ago and he cancelled about a month before citing that, and he hasnt played a show since. He wants to, but isnt sure when it will be possible. 

Not only did COVID stop all hype and positivity for this year, it’s doing a good job of killing any chance of good debate and discussion for next years lineup with everything postponing a year ahead.

Great news about Diana rescheduling, parents have tickets for the O2 and were genuinely excited. Happy for them and all us Glasto goers!

(fully aware of bigger picture before the pitchforks come out)

Edited by Andy0808 v5

On 5/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, Matt42 said:

I think Erasure have played before in a very low slot. They would not pack that pyramid field at all.

I could see JLO taking a Janet Jackson type slot. I don't think she has enough hits in the UK to hold a Legends slot. 

To me, the Legend Slot has to be an act capable of filling the pyramid field and being considered a 'fourth' headline slot. 

Mariah Carey. Carole King, Genesis, The Kinks, Dire Straits, Billy Joel, Destiny's Child, No Doubt, Spice Girls, ABBA, Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Celine Dion are the type of acts I'd imagine Glastonbury would have on the fridge. Perhaps some large bands who have never done the festival would be on there too - but i'm not sure who they are. 

Considering getting Diana back will be a priority, there are definitely enough names to chance in the future. 

You keep saying No Doubt. It confuses me.

1 hour ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Not only did COVID stop all hype and positivity for this year, it’s doing a good job of killing any chance of good debate and discussion for next years lineup with everything postponing a year ahead.

Great news about Diana rescheduling, parents have tickets for the O2 and were genuinely excited. Happy for them and all us Glasto goers!

(fully aware of bigger picture before the pitchforks come out)

Agreed. Actually surprised that there is very little line up talk on here.