Isle of Wight 2021

galbani

There's an interview with John Giddings here: https://www.iwradio.co.uk/news/isle-of-wight-news/isle-of-wight-festival-2021-john-giddings-chats-line-up-ticket-sales-and-challenges

In terms of lineup, he says that they're going to "talk to" the acts they had booked, and the ones they can't rebook for September will be invited for 2022.

Edited by incident

4 minutes ago, incident said:

There's an interview with John Giddings here: https://www.iwradio.co.uk/news/isle-of-wight-news/isle-of-wight-festival-2021-john-giddings-chats-line-up-ticket-sales-and-challenges

In terms of lineup, he says that they're going to "talk to" the acts they had booked, and the ones they can't rebook for September will be invited for 2022.

Would be a nice late summer festival, if they didn't talk to the headliners. 😴

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Couldn't even remember who was meant to be playing this 2020 edition before everything fell off the cliff.

Quite forgettable lineup so that's understandable....!

It's still a weekend away though, and at the moment it's all we've got!!!!!

Having never been to the isle of wight (apart from one night when i went sailing) we're considering isle of wight. For anyone thats been before whats transprt like to the festival site every day - am thinking of booking a B&B and having a mini holiday ..... is there any daily shuttle buses that run and where to on the island ? thanks a lot

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Having never been to the isle of wight (apart from one night when i went sailing) we're considering isle of wight. For anyone thats been before whats transprt like to the festival site every day - am thinking of booking a B&B and having a mini holiday ..... is there any daily shuttle buses that run and where to on the island ? thanks a lot

There are no shuttles as far as I remember but the fest is on the outskirts of Newport which is the island’s biggest town so has transport and accommodation. That said, the walk from the town centre to the fest is not insubstantial due to the location of the gates.

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

most buses run from towns to newport.you can then get bus there to fest campsite and walk through or walk from town to main gates,which is 15-20 walk at leisure . at end of eve buses leave from campsite up till 2am -3am to most big towns on island .

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

There are no shuttles as far as I remember but the fest is on the outskirts of Newport which is the island’s biggest town so has transport and accommodation. That said, the walk from the town centre to the fest is not insubstantial due to the location of the gates.

On the other hand, the walk to the town centre afterwards is only like 15 minutes

On 3/2/2021 at 7:50 PM, galbani said:

Quite forgettable lineup so that's understandable....!

It's still a weekend away though, and at the moment it's all we've got!!!!!

Certainly it does seem like it's been going downhill in recent years. Used to have some fairly consistently decent line-ups in days of yore.

But yeah, at this point, if you want a weekend away with music after 2020 turned out to be a cultural desert, why not this?

Any thoughts on who could be on the line-up?

I think Duran looking very likely, as indeed a lot of the other UK acts. I don't think Lionel will be here. His appearance at IOW is part of a massive tour that I just don't think they have time for this year, so I expect he will delay until 2022.

Genesis have just announced rescheduled dates for September and are free on Sunday night (Belfast on Saturday, Brum on Monday). Nothing more than my wild speculation to pin this on, but a few years ago, they would have been exactly the kind of act to turn up at IOW (cf Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Who).

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Any thoughts on who could be on the line-up?

I think Duran looking very likely, as indeed a lot of the other UK acts. I don't think Lionel will be here. His appearance at IOW is part of a massive tour that I just don't think they have time for this year, so I expect he will delay until 2022.

Genesis have just announced rescheduled dates for September and are free on Sunday night (Belfast on Saturday, Brum on Monday). Nothing more than my wild speculation to pin this on, but a few years ago, they would have been exactly the kind of act to turn up at IOW (cf Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Who).

the bloke can hardly stand up,so hope not.

16 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Ability to stand an important factor in musicians you see, is it?

I appreciate Genesis may not be to your taste, but singling out someone's ailing health as a reason is pretty low.

its fact though and feel for him,but age gets to us all.years back yes would of been a good booking but not now.need headliners to work crowd,but he struggles to get around and voice has gone,where others his age can still sing and move.its not about him or them,its about getting value for money and more suited to tour and people who just want to see them

On 3/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, retrokev said:

most buses run from towns to newport.you can then get bus there to fest campsite and walk through or walk from town to main gates,which is 15-20 walk at leisure . at end of eve buses leave from campsite up till 2am -3am to most big towns on island .

Thank you 🙂

Anyone ever been VIP/Premium VIP - just wondering about experience/thought /what you get for the mega bucks . I;ve never seen a festival  that offers two tiers  of VIP to purchase  before hence curious on what the experience would be like and what could justify the price (apart from better loos and a bar with less queue  😁

3 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Anyone ever been VIP/Premium VIP - just wondering about experience/thought /what you get for the mega bucks . I;ve never seen a festival  that offers two tiers  of VIP to purchase  before hence curious on what the experience would be like and what could justify the price (apart from better loos and a bar with less queue  😁

did vip or got bands given to.great for bar and loos and no queue,but watching bands felt cut off from crowd and atmosphere ,so watched bands back in with crowd and used vip for bar loos and to have a chill

2 hours ago, thetime said:

When is the expected line-up to be released, fancy this if they change a couple of headliners.

most of line up will be same i would think.snow patrol on american tour from the monday so may not headline sat and lionel may not play fri as tour doesnt fit in now,but we will see

4 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

We are lucky enough to have done both. Regular VIP offers your own area to the left of the main stage with OK views, until the end of the evening when it gets very crowded. Not much in the way of food offerings, but you do get the nice toilets which is what most people will be paying for. The Premium VIP used to be just for press, media, etc. but you can now buy tickets I believe for a massive price. For this you do get free food - we had a couple of hot meals each day and some snacks - and the holy grail of VIP - a free bar. This is to the right of the main stage and was renamed the Black Star bar after David Bowie. There is a raised platform at the front that gives excellent views of the main stage, but again it does get very crowded for the headliners/popular acts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, francodevil said:

Doubt Lionel will be there this year - he’s apparently playing a residency in Las Vegas in sept/October....

Has that been reported in the press or hearsay? Changing one of the headliners would certainly make me think of buying.