Pukkelpop 2021

The Dutch government has just announced that no multi-day events will take place until 13 August. Lowlands and Down The Rabbit Hole are in trouble and their cancellations could result in more bands not coming over.

13 hours ago, Dietediet said:

DTRH and LL have indeed just issued a press release implying that a cancellation is their only option. More news to follow soon...

Doesn't look good does it? 

Lowlands director Eric van Eerdenburg is "furious" with the cabinet and the tightened corona measures. On Friday, it was announced during the corona press conference that multi-day events may no longer be held for the time being. Events can last up to 24 hours until 13 August.

Lowlands will be held this year from 20 to 22 August. With this, the organization of Lowlands has a small week to set up the festival, provided that the festival can continue in its planned form at that time.

"That's an unrealistic situation. We can't keep everyone on a leash for weeks to come. Artists keep their schedules free to come to Lowlands, suppliers keep staff and materials available and visitors also want to know where they stand. That is why clarity from the government is now needed and not until mid-August", says Van Eerdenburg.

"They just let the industry dangle. The government is completely disconnected from reality," the Lowlands director said. The new measures can cause the costs for the organization to increase considerably, because the construction has already started.

"And the English artists are not covered by the guarantee fund," van Eerdenburg continues, referring to Liam Gallagher, Stormzy and The Chemical Brothers, among others.

"These are the most expensive artists we have booked. It really is true bastard."

'There's really going to be festivals falling over'
The organisation of the festival Down The Rabbit Hole, which is planned on the same site as Lowlands a weekend later, also says it is being manoeuvred into an "impossible situation."

The organization is not yet definitively cancelling the festival, but makes it clear that waiting weeks for the government's verdict is not an option. "As soon as more is known, we will let you know via our site and socials and all ticket buyers will receive an information email," the organization said via social media.

• Upvote 1

Jan Jambon doesn’t see any issue with festivals happening in Belgium following the guidelines of full vaccination or testing. End of July 80 percent of Flemish residents will be fully vaccinated so he does not see a problem with festivals like PKP happening. A bit of light in the dark tunnel that is currently the Netherlands and their festivals, which apparently isn’t going to have a big impact on PKP.

PKP spokesperson also said a possible cancellation of Lowlands or DTRH has “no impact on PKP”. I believe he means no impact for it happening, but obv could have impact on artists and line up.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, pigital said:

Jan Jambon doesn’t see any issue with festivals happening in Belgium following the guidelines of full vaccination or testing. End of July 80 percent of Flemish residents will be fully vaccinated so he does not see a problem with festivals like PKP happening. A bit of light in the dark tunnel that is currently the Netherlands and their festivals, which apparently isn’t going to have a big impact on PKP.

PKP spokesperson also said a possible cancellation of Lowlands or DTRH has “no impact on PKP”. I believe he means no impact for it happening, but obv could have impact on artists and line up.

If Lowlands get cancelled, we can say goodbye to Liam Gallagher 

22 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

If Lowlands get cancelled, we can say goodbye to Liam Gallagher 

Why do you think this? If you see the calendar from Liam in the summer of 2018 and 2019, he regularly did a one-off festival show in a European country and then returned to the UK... I also think Liam is rich enough to do this.

Edited by Toshvds2

2 hours ago, Toshvds2 said:

Why do you think this? If you see the calendar from Liam in the summer of 2018 and 2019, he regularly did a one-off festival show in a European country and then returned to the UK... I also think Liam is rich enough to do this.

Well, in 2019 the UK was still in the EU and there was no pandemic. It was far easier for British artists to travel. This year it's a real struggle because of the post-Brexit situation and Covid-19 restrictions. For most artists one-off shows outside the UK with all the struggles don't make sense.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Newjem said:

Well, in 2019 the UK was still in the EU and there was no pandemic. It was far easier for British artists to travel. This year it's a real struggle because of the post-Brexit situation and Covid-19 restrictions. For most artists one-off shows outside the UK with all the struggles don't make sense.

I understand. But still, how easy is it for an artist to cancel a show? They've signed a contract, no?

1 hour ago, Toshvds2 said:

I understand. But still, how easy is it for an artist to cancel a show? They've signed a contract, no?

It's easy. Even before the pandemic it was quite common that some artists cancelled for no apparent reason.

And lots of artists cancelled their show at Pukkelpop before the line-up's announcement as @Ken19 mentioned a few pages back (QOTSA, Gorillaz, Stormzy, BMTH and many more...). It's completely normal this year and obviously understandable.

Edited by Newjem

It's obviously difficult but not impossible for extra-EU artists to perform just one show in Europe, if it's well paid and well sold. They also booked some American artists who apparently don't have a proper European Tour... Let's see, they officially started to set up, it's going ahead some ways.

Well, it's easier to get US artist to Europe because they are on a green list of many EU countries. In many countries, UK artists has to go to the quarantine first and then get tested and they will have to do the same on the way back... and also there is a chance, that they will be on the black list of many countries due to the delta.

2 hours ago, Sugar Cane said:

Well, it's easier to get US artist to Europe because they are on a green list of many EU countries. In many countries, UK artists has to go to the quarantine first and then get tested and they will have to do the same on the way back... and also there is a chance, that they will be on the black list of many countries due to the delta.

Sure, but moving a big production (like Marshmello, Future, Oliver Tree or others) from US to Europe for just one show would be very expensive...

Regarding Brits, I still hope there will be some exceptions for some particular kind of workers who can be taken under control, like sports players and hopefully important artists and their crew... But I know that there's still a lot of uncertainty around this theme.

PKP21 without British artists would be a disaster.

Edited by gigi21

1 hour ago, gigi21 said:

Sure, but moving a big production (like Marshmello, Future, Oliver Tree or others) from US to Europe for just one show would be very expensive...

What production? None of those artists you named need to carry a huge production with them. Unless you consider Marshmello's helmet and laptop as a big production.

16 hours ago, Newjem said:

What production? None of those artists you named need to carry a huge production with them. Unless you consider Marshmello's helmet and laptop as a big production.

I'm honestly not into that kind of stuff and I've never been at Marshmello's liveset 😁
I know a couple of people who works with italian smaller artists and they're always a few of them working with sounds, lights, visuals... I've also seen American bands in the lineup, like Fever 333 and Oliver Tree, if you only consider flights from US to Europe and way back and instruments, it's already expensive.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that most of the shows will obviously be difficult to manage, but not impossible.

22 minutes ago, DDave said:

Paul Kalkbrenner closes the main on Saturday, Hives play before Balthazar. 

Stormzy headliner, playing before Marshmello

Doesn't make it massively better for me really. 

I'm still waiting for a couple of good Club and Marquee names, especially the Sunday ones 🤞

59 minutes ago, gigi21 said:

I'm honestly not into that kind of stuff and I've never been at Marshmello's liveset 😁
I know a couple of people who works with italian smaller artists and they're always a few of them working with sounds, lights, visuals... I've also seen American bands in the lineup, like Fever 333 and Oliver Tree, if you only consider flights from US to Europe and way back and instruments, it's already expensive.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that most of the shows will obviously be difficult to manage, but not impossible.

Well, the overseas bands are taking only guitars, if needed, the rest they will have from backline rentals or the festival will provide to them. They can have local/EU crew working for them... having UK crew nowadays is complicated due to Brexit. The merchandise is made in the EU, so they don't have to bring it with them.

DJ's are travelling only with USB stick and maybe a back-up USB stick nowadays 😀 the CD players are always provided from the festival.

During these days, nobody expects you to come with a fire spitting dragon on the stage and a flying piano.

• Upvote 1