REM - Stopped mid-song

cheesey_toastie

Can anyone help me piece together a random memory. 

There had been a recent festival disaster (I think it was Roskilde) where sadly people were crushed by a surging crowd. I remember REM (pretty sure it was them) stopping mid song to ask the crowd to step back as people at the front were looking squashed.

Am I right - was it REM and what year was it? The dates don't seem to work in my mind. 

Also can you remember what song it was. I remember them picking up exactly where they left off without skipping a beat and being very impressed. 

Edited by cheesey_toastie
typo

10 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Can anyone help me piece together a random memory. 

There had been a recent festival disaster (I think it was Roskilde) where sadly people were crushed by a surging crowd. I remember REM (pretty sure it was them) stopping mid song to ask the crowd to step back as people at the front were looking squashed.

Am I right - was it REM and what year was it? The dates don't seem to work in my mind. 

Also can you remember what song it was. I remember them picking up exactly where they left off without skipping a beat and being very impressed. 

it was Pearl Jam who were playing when there was the fatal crush as Roskilde in 2000.

Edited by Neil

Just now, Neil said:

it was Pearl Jam who were playing when there was the fatal crush as Roskilde in 2000.

Yes - I'm talking about REM at Glastonbury - it might have been 2003. My memory is they stopped mid song and me and people around us referenced Roskilde as why bands were being careful. 

1 minute ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Yes - I'm talking about REM at Glastonbury - it might have been 2003. My memory is they stopped mid song and me and people around us referenced Roskilde as why bands were being careful. 

ah, sorry. I misunderstood what you were getting at.

1 minute ago, cheesey_toastie said:

I don’t remember that for rem in 2003 ... but then again I don’t remember much for REM in 2003 :) 

Just now, cheesey_toastie said:

Oohh - I wonder if it was that I'm thinking of... I remember them being very concerned as the incident was fairly recent and I was there in 1999 - it was a bit wet too right? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival_line-ups#1999 REM played then too. 

But Roskilde was 2000.  This is why I'm confused. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/814116.stm

2 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Oohh - I wonder if it was that I'm thinking of... I remember them being very concerned as the incident was fairly recent and I was there in 1999 - it was a bit wet too right? 

No, I think 99 was a scorcher... fell asleep pissed Friday teatime, head on a log, lobsterfied!

Definitely happened during the Manics in 99. I was a few rows from the barrier when it somehow tipped over or broke.

Everyone spilled forward and it was a bit scary. Probably wouldn't restart if it happend now.

It was a scorcer that year but in the mess I lost a trainer and had to spend all sunday and the trip home monday in wellies as it was all I had left! 😄

REM also headlined 99 so maybe why you' ve confused them.