Anyone Else Just Gonna Do Glastonbury Anyway?

chatty

IMG_1547.thumb.jpeg.56ae80ab2eab50cb00e0d7cf8cbfca07.jpegWell that was a surprisingly good weekend! Against all expectations, it actually helped ameliorate to a small extent the disappointment of the real thing not happening. 

After having been pretty hardcore about lockdown (me and the kids - though less so Mrs Mackem - have always been working to one incarnation of the rules earlier than Johnson is saying is OK - on the grounds that he knows f*** all) we decided to invite Glasto-regulars round to our Glasto-in-the-garden - in couples at staggered intervals. 

Maybe it was the elation of drinking with friends at home again at last. Maybe it was the feeling - here and on the TV and iPlayer that we've all been suffering together. Or maybe it was the 7.5% pear cider I was drinking most of the weekend. But I woke up this morning with a feeling weirdly reminiscent of post-Glasto Monday morning blues. Normally that's a real bummer. But this time I was quite pleased - it made me realise we'd actually come close to something loosely related to a festival. Even taking down the signs and the gazebo was reminiscent of a real festival takedown. 

On further consideration, I think maybe it was the 7.5% pear cider

[the little bush in the photo was a gift from a guest because ‘we always meet up at the bush on the pyramid - so we’ll know where to find you today’]

42750AF6-7E7E-4FA6-9A94-ACEA605296E1.jpeg

A743D97A-72D1-4C3A-9617-7227E5DB19A8.png

1789B244-528E-43B3-86CB-F8761D96AD84.png

285D222F-F0AD-400C-A0ED-F9F638D4AC2B.png

EE71E907-43E4-4E5F-A49E-125901CE0842.jpeg

228551E0-9B71-44A4-8B5C-39B6EC379CC3.png

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1493.jpeg

Edited by Mackem
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mackem said:

Maybe it was the elation of drinking with friends at home again at last. Maybe it was the feeling - here and on the TV and iPlayer that we've all been suffering together. Or maybe it was the 7.5% pear cider I was drinking most of the weekend. But I woke up this morning with a feeling weirdly reminiscent of post-Glasto Monday morning blues. Normally that's a real bummer. But this time I was quite pleased - it made me realise we'd actually come close to something loosely related to a festival. Even taking down the signs and the gazebo was reminiscent of a real festival takedown. 

Glad to hear it's not just me then!

There were times while trying to get my ribbon to do what I wanted it to that I was beginning to wonder why I was even bothering but the reaction from everyone that saw the somewhat stupid lengths I'd gone to made it worthwhile but has also meant that today's been pretty miserable now no one else is joining us and it's all been packed away.

Even being sat in the living room, rather than in the garden, today while continuing to plough through the BBC archives has something of a 'catching up on sets I missed over the weekend' feel to it!

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 12:27 PM, Steel city camper said:

More or less finished my build just got to finish shangri la type club in the brick outhouse and my block 9 club in the garage 

20200624_212005.jpg

20200624_211949.jpg

IMG-20200624-WA0011.jpeg

20200624_212215.jpg

20200624_231638.jpg

20200624_231345.jpg

The first vid is of my shangri la style club in my outhouse and the second is of my block 9 club in the garage 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Steel city camper said:

The first vid is of my shangri la style club in my outhouse and the second is of my block 9 club in the garage 

Unbelievable effort, I love it!! 

i've accepted it's very unlikely I'm going to have tickets for next year now and will most likely be hosting 'Glasthomebury' again in June 2021. I'm going to have to up my game for the late night entertainment!!

5 hours ago, mpsamuels said:

i've accepted it's very unlikely I'm going to have tickets for next year now and will most likely be hosting 'Glasthomebury' again in June 2021. I'm going to have to up my game for the late night entertainment!!

I wonder if "Glasthomebury" is going to become a yearly thing then?

Someone must think so, they bought the domain a few days ago and are now offering it for sale (I assume hoping to make a profit). 

http://glasthomebury.com

(Disclaimer: It's nothing to do with me.)

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook

28 minutes ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

I wonder if "Glasthomebury" is going to become a yearly thing then?

Someone must think so, they bought the domain a few days ago and are now offering it for sale (I assume hoping to make a profit). 

http://glasthomebury.com

(Disclaimer: It's nothing to do with me.)

Ha! I've no idea if it's due to formally be an annual thing but the name seems to have stuck with my crowd anyway.

The 'Please send your offer for our consideration' isn't even subtle in their attempt at profiteering from what was meant to be a charitable thing.

Whoever has decided they wanted the .com seems to have ignored any other TLD though so I wouldn't have thought there's much chance they'll be making any money selling it any time soon!

2 hours ago, mpsamuels said:

Whoever has decided they wanted the .com seems to have ignored any other TLD though so I wouldn't have thought there's much chance they'll be making any money selling it any time soon!

After checking the .com had gone and saw the other domains were still available, I *was* tempted but, apart from lots of pictures of peoples home setups (that sort of thing seems to go better on social media) I ran out of justification for getting one.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mackem said:

Just a thought: anyone else decide to keep all their signage and ephemera in the attic in case the unthinkable happens next year? 😱

Mine will be accompanying me to the festival ... well a part of it anyway ... the rest I’ve kept ... the flat above me might not like me calling them my attic :) and I’ve no other half  so most remains on display all year round 

Edited by crazyfool1

1 hour ago, Mackem said:

Just a thought: anyone else decide to keep all their signage and ephemera in the attic in case the unthinkable happens next year? 😱

A select few signs are still up in the garden. My garden bar is now permanently labelled the Bimble Inn and the gate will forever be Pedestrian Gate A. 

Everything else is in the attic. 

6 hours ago, Mackem said:

Definitely. Even if the unthinkable doesn't happen 🤞 I'm keeping some of it.

My signpost and direction signs are still up, which has proved interesting as the neighbour is now selling her house. When prospective buyers come round, if they see the signs (as they are higher than the fence and can be seen easily from her garden) and recognise them as being Glastonbury(ish)  they are allowed to advance to the next stage in the house buying process otherwise it's the end of the road for them as my prospective neighbours. That's what I'd like to think is happening anyway  🙂.

The multi coloured Glastonbury sign has now had the bamboo sticks removed and I'm wondering about sticking the letters onto a wall in the house somewhere. I probably won't keep the ribbon tower bits, if the unthinkable happens I'll probably just build it again, but hopefully better.

Just for the interest I've carried on working on the lighting bits so they are still around.

But the unthinkable isn't going to happen, is it... 😓

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook

A lot of my stuff was spoilt in a downpour on Monday morning so wasn't worth holding on to. I've since updated my TV and my 'Pyramid' doesn't fit around the new one so that's been scrapped too. Some of the lighting is now a permanent fixture in my garden and I've still got my ribbon tower though...plus some ideas on improvements should I do it all again.

I didn't even try to get a ticket for 2020 as I'd already committed to a stag do (stag was duly criticised for his choice of dates!) and I'm not holding much hope for the re-sale so I'm guessing anything that I do have left will be coming out for 'the best Glasthomebury yet' come June '21.

• 5 months later...

It must be my fault. I only took down the signs from last year Glastonbury at home when it started snowing a couple of weeks ago. I thought I might be tempting fate at the time...

As the signs had only been made for use over a week or so last summer, they aren't hugely weatherproof and have suffered over the last few months. Still savable though so I guess, reluctantly I'll think about repainting them and planning for this years at home event (unless things have improved enough to have lots of people around).

The rainbow tower tribute is still up, although it looks a bit sorry or itself and some of the ribbons have come adrift. I'm amazed at how well foam board stands up to months of rain though.

Damn n blast. I was really hoping never to have to use them again.

I'm not sure I'll be able to face doing this again - last year I spent the first 6 months watching various live shows on DVDs, Youtube etc then did the whole Glasto at home thing, but since the summer I haven't been able to bring myself to do any of that as I've maintained there is zero chance this year of festivals since I saw numbers going up in September. I think this year I'll be trying to ignore any thoughts of live music completely - I used to enjoy it so much and now feel like it's part of the past until proven otherwise 

13 minutes ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

It must be my fault. I only took down the signs from last year Glastonbury at home when it started snowing a couple of weeks ago. I thought I might be tempting fate at the time...

As the signs had only been made for use over a week or so last summer, they aren't hugely weatherproof and have suffered over the last few months. Still savable though so I guess, reluctantly I'll think about repainting them and planning for this years at home event (unless things have improved enough to have lots of people around).

The rainbow tower tribute is still up, although it looks a bit sorry or itself and some of the ribbons have come adrift. I'm amazed at how well foam board stands up to months of rain though.

Damn n blast. I was really hoping never to have to use them again.

Mine was mostly printed and stuck onto poly board so I’ll just reprint. My ribbon tower was a ballache to produce so I’ll have to think of another way to do it. The Stone Circle’s still in place though - with the odd bit of cat-collapse that’s easily rectifiable ...