Anyone Else Just Gonna Do Glastonbury Anyway?

chatty

On 5/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, Mackem said:

So to get myself into the spirit of this early doors I thought I'd order in some Festival Pear Cider - the original - only to find it doesn't look as if it's available any longer?! Did i miss something? It's not mentioned on the Brothers website and none of the major supermarkets come up on google. I mean I'm not much of a cider drinker - truth be told the only time I *ever* drink it is once a year at the Brothers Bar, the rest of the time (and the rest of the festival) it's ale. But I just assumed it would always be there for me, if I needed it!

I can answer my own question now. It transpires they stopped selling it outside the festival about 2 years ago and it's now seemingly permanently delisted. However, after some googling I've found two alternatives https://gwatkincider.co.uk/product/oldfield-perry/ and https://www.dunkertonscider.co.uk/products/organic-perry-case?variant=5356981452836 (although the former seems to be out of stock - most likely til next pear season I guess.

On 5/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, fred quimby said:

I am still digging a hole in the back garden to create a longdrop

I had a very odd sensation this morning.  Was heading for the loo and had a sudden urge to be sat in a longdrop....

On 5/5/2020 at 1:56 PM, ivan said:

Can't say too much at the mo but some secret sets are planned so keep eyes and ears peeled.

I hope they get. bit more creative than just past sets on the main stages (though they alone will be great) as the festival is so much more than that. A new documentary would be amazing... or if the SE corner considered doing some streamed DJ sets or even interactive things like Secret Cinema have been doing. 

• 3 weeks later...

This needs a bump as it's almost June.

We held Bearded Theory Festival in our garden last weekend. It was a good dress rehearsal for a few weeks time. The TV in the bell tent streaming through Chromecast worked greatIMG_20200524_155009_1.thumb.jpg.f43518ea291d65e7f941235974a41291.jpg

IMG_20200521_201453.jpg

IMG_20200530_184336.jpg

IMG_20200530_173606.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

This needs a bump as it's almost June.

We held Bearded Theory Festival in our garden last weekend. It was a good dress rehearsal for a few weeks time. The TV in the bell tent streaming through Chromecast worked greatIMG_20200524_155009_1.thumb.jpg.f43518ea291d65e7f941235974a41291.jpg

IMG_20200521_201453.jpg

IMG_20200530_184336.jpg

IMG_20200530_173606.jpg

Looks great .. my Glastonbury corner is sorted and cider is on order ... I’ve been invited to a Glastonbury in a friends garden but can’t quite get my head around that at present so will leave that for now ... fancy dress is ready and battery packs have been charged too ... so it’s not so long now and looks like we are getting a slight break in the sunshine this week .. 

The Hecks 4 for 40 quid delivered has been very welcome. It is cheaper to purchase from burrow hill especially if you spend 50 quid for the free delivery.

It's the variety from Hecks that I heart. The medium "selection box" is blinding.. 

The bag in a box is cheaper but I like deliberating like I am Alberto Forg trying to decide what milk shake to have today

Screenshot_2020-05-31-21-14-14-088_com.android.chrome.jpg

I have a technical question....

During the day, we can get away with having the sound through speakers, but later on that's really going to annoy the neighbours.

So, is there a way to hook up more than one set of headphones (bluetooth, don't want wires when cidered), there'll probably be 3 of us for virtual glasto, while having the video on a screen big enough to see?

Seems like a simple request but I can't find an answer on the interweb.

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I have a technical question....

During the day, we can get away with having the sound through speakers, but later on that's really going to annoy the neighbours.

So, is there a way to hook up more than one set of headphones (bluetooth, don't want wires when cidered), there'll probably be 3 of us for virtual glasto, while having the video on a screen big enough to see?

Seems like a simple request but I can't find an answer on the interweb.

Been looking at this myself - Bluetooth will only transmit to one device at a time (the standards are changing this year I believe but I assume that will then require software/driver upgrades and will probably be too late for the end of June anyway).

So I've had to go for cabled, using a headphone amplifier (1 in, 4 out) - I used a Behringer MicroAmp HA400 for this - around 20-25 quid - plus some extension cables for all the headphones.

The only other option I could think of was getting silent disco equipment - but then you are looking at spending a couple of hundred quid minimum.

certainly a shame about the bluetooth thing. We wanted to do that.

You know the big cage on top of the cocktail bar at the bottom of the Theatre field that they have people in doing various acts. Well I have gone and bought one, not that big but Mrs Q can stand up in it, in a moment of madness.

Now thinking of getting a large motorised  mirror ball In there and have spot lights on it to shine up into the tress.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

You know the big cage on top of the cocktail bar at the bottom of the Theatre field that they have people in doing various acts. Well I have gone and bought one, not that big but Mrs Q can stand up in it, in a moment of madness.

Now thinking of getting a large motorised  mirror ball In there and have spot lights on it to shine up into the tress.

This is next level 👏

I think you can buy a "bluetooth splitter" but the cheap ones only seem to do 2 headphones at once. It also looks like shiny shiny new iphones might support more than one. But we be Android. Also casting all this from device to screen or getting computer to send it back to headphones - ugh.

Might have to just give the neighbours some earplugs....

9 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I think you can buy a "bluetooth splitter" but the cheap ones only seem to do 2 headphones at once. It also looks like shiny shiny new iphones might support more than one. But we be Android. Also casting all this from device to screen or getting computer to send it back to headphones - ugh.

What about using a small bluetooth speaker playing where you are sitting? The trouble with headphones is you may end up being a lot noisier shouting at each other than you would with just some low level music playing.

Edited by mazola

4 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Yeah, there are a few bluetooth splitters around but don't think they get good reviews.

Another option is to split the signal with a headphone amplifier, then put a separate bluetooth transmitter into each of the amplifier outputs. But with only 4 users, that would be costing you 120+ quid to setup.  So a bit pricey.

Perhaps renting a silent disco kit is the answer.

52 minutes ago, mazola said:

What about using a small bluetooth speaker playing where you are sitting? The trouble with headphones is you may end up being a lot noisier shouting at each other than you would with just some low level music playing.

Ah, the only problem with this is that we're doing a virtual Download first, so metal + low level are not compatible!

Might end up with the headphone splitter and as cheap a "headphone to bluetooth" magic box as possible.

On the subject if neighbours I hope everyone will be more tolerant at this time, based on the fact that garden gatherings are naturally going to be more popular.

I was fortunate that when I moved into my house the adjoined house was being renovated, and our neighbours the other side not joined have their bedroom at the front of the house so would never be disturbed, so we could essentially make as much noise as we liked.

That said that was once in a blue moon anyway, certainly only ever in the weekend if ever.

Then somebody moved into the adjoining house. All I’ve got is one of those Marshall Bluetooth speakers, they aren’t capable of making enough noise to disturb anyone.

We put it on one Saturday night and within minutes the new bloke was banging on the door asking is to turn it down, this happened pretty much every time on the rare occasion we put it on.

Now as long as it’s not every single night I welcome my neighbours making a bit of noise every now and then, a bit of tolerance from everyone helps no end and we can all have our moments every now and then when we want to make a bit of noise. 

Thankfully they moved out and the new neighbours out is a lot more chilled.

Sorry, that’s a massive rambling pointless story that doesn’t help anyone with their Bluetooth connectivity issues. I just hate unreasonable intolerant neighbours!

We have a nice enclosed yard and yesterday my other half wanted to do some Yoga , relaxation and mediation in the sun on her mat.

But behind our back wall neighbours decided to install a new shed  a few yards from us using industrial strength power tools.

Was not very Yogic to hear " FFS" every few minutes.

Mrs Q has said no to a laser like this

el-150b_beam_02.jpg

which is a shame really but maybe

Might be able to get a small one that they have pointed at houses at Christmas  which will look good on some trees

category_introimage_laserworld-garden-st

Also we had a large shed built by a friend and part of it (called southside) is where the record decks mixer is and the laptop will be put in there, so some lights will go up and will become our SE corner.

Still not sure though whether to spend the cash as probably best on sensible things

We've just had news that campsites here (Jersey) can probably open again from 12th June, so mad scramble to try to book for Glastonbury weekend - our garden is like a black run so no pitching at home so really hoping we are able to make it to the campsite - if we do I'll be rebooking some leave :-)

Some good efforts here. Howling at the dancing cage for the better half 🙂

we have a decent neighbour who likes a toke and is pretty deaf so hopefully she will be on board with the summer of festivals in the garden..

Hi Team - I just received this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016UF7J5C/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Have tested and allows me to connect 2 sets of bluetooth headsets! (I''ve ran out of headphone to test a 3rd pair, but I would otherwise consider getting 2 and a cheap AUX splitter, as suggested above).

Edited by Mr. B
  • Upvote 1

I've been asked to be charge of music at our little glasto Saturday. If anyone can recommend any playlists. I'm thinking only artists who've played glasto etc 

Also I'd love some sound FX. I'm sure a few years back someone had a sample of the long drops door shutting for examples? Keen to play some glasto sounds randomly. 

Any help much appreciated

Edited by danbailey80

On 6/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

On the subject if neighbours I hope everyone will be more tolerant at this time, based on the fact that garden gatherings are naturally going to be more popular.

I was fortunate that when I moved into my house the adjoined house was being renovated, and our neighbours the other side not joined have their bedroom at the front of the house so would never be disturbed, so we could essentially make as much noise as we liked.

That said that was once in a blue moon anyway, certainly only ever in the weekend if ever.

Then somebody moved into the adjoining house. All I’ve got is one of those Marshall Bluetooth speakers, they aren’t capable of making enough noise to disturb anyone.

We put it on one Saturday night and within minutes the new bloke was banging on the door asking is to turn it down, this happened pretty much every time on the rare occasion we put it on.

Now as long as it’s not every single night I welcome my neighbours making a bit of noise every now and then, a bit of tolerance from everyone helps no end and we can all have our moments every now and then when we want to make a bit of noise. 

Thankfully they moved out and the new neighbours out is a lot more chilled.

Sorry, that’s a massive rambling pointless story that doesn’t help anyone with their Bluetooth connectivity issues. I just hate unreasonable intolerant neighbours!

Totally feel your pain here. In our last flat the woman next door would bang on the wall if we were having conversations in our living room because she could hear our voices. Once this was at 9pm. And then some absolute arsehole moved in downstairs who complained multiple times and wrote to both our landlords because we woke them up in the morning by walking around the flat. We never wore shoes indoors and the flooring was shit, but FFS. Don't live downstairs in a conversion if you are such a delicate little flower. Never felt like we could relax there at all. We accidentally got forwarded his emails moaning about us opening drawers at certain times and so on. So fucking glad to be out of there! We live very nearby now so sometimes see the prick on my walks...

Our neighbours here (upstairs and either side) are all noisy bastards so it does make me feel we can do somewhat what we like. Sometimes they annoy me, especially lately, but I'd so much prefer noisy neighbours than constantly complaining ones.

All that said we won't be camping in our shitty little garden. Will likely watch some of the coverage indoors. I don't know really, the whole thing makes me feel a bit sad especially as I doubt very much I'll manage a ticket next year :(

As an aside some of you have massive gardens!

Its ridiculous enough that people wear wellies (when it hasnt rained and isnt muddy) and drink cider (when they dont even like it) at Glastonbury, just because they think thats how you should behave at a festival 🙄, but to do those things and more in the comfort of your own garden would just be tragic! Are you really going to put glitter on and wave a flag about in your garden and pretend you are Glastonbury? Hahaha, let is go FFS 😆

• Downvote 7