What would you do if mass events were allowed without a vaccine?

zahidf

What would do if mass events are allowed without a vaccine?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go to a gig/sports event/festival if mass gatherings are allowed without a vaccine?

• Yup first in line
    • I'd only do it if it was something unique
    • Zero chance.

35 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

That's pretty much how we deal with flu and is the most likely scenario. If immunity doesn't last, low risk individuals will just get it from time to time (like they get flu from time to time...actual flu isn't much fun, but you've probably only had it once or twice in your lifetime even though it's circulating constantly). I get a flu shot every year, not to protect myself, but I'm in regular contact with cancer patients and they can't afford to catch it from me, so I haven't had a real flu in years, but it knocks you out when you do catch it even as a relatively young healthy person!

Yep I've had real flu only once. I'm pretty sure I have no memory of at least about 36 hours and I was utterly wiped out for days and fairly rough for a few weeks afterwards. Makes me laugh when people say they have flu when it's clearly just an ordinary cold. 

Just now, Cream Soda said:

Can it be like Covid 19 where people experience it at different levels of severity? If not, then I think I'm lucky enough to never have had flu.  Certainly don't think I've had anything as bad as that, sounds nasty.

I'm sure it can be but when people come into work and say they are full of flu they absolutely have a cold. 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm not sure any good has come from people comparing it to flu.

31 minutes ago, paulshane said:

This has been on my mind a lot too lately!

There are valid comparisons though. If you can see past the idea of just thinking of how dangerous one versus the other is, which is not necessarily the point people are making when comparing the two.

Flu has been around for years, we’ve all built up some immunity to it and we have a vaccine adapted every year which helps limit deaths and severity. If we’d never encountered it before it would be significantly more dangerous than corona because we wouldn’t have any immunity or a vaccine, just like we don’t now for corona.

If Covid ends up like most other corona viruses there is a strong possibility immunity only lasts for a year or two, so we will need a regular vaccine. It means it will become endemic and we’ll need to live alongside just like flu and people would die from it year on year just like flu.

So there are many useful comparisons to be made both now and for the future, which aren’t in anyway related to the relative mortality rates at this precise moment.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

43 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So there are many useful comparisons to be made both now and for the future, which aren’t in anyway related to the relative mortality rates at this precise moment.

I see your point and you make it well, however unfortunately the people who have publicly made comparisons up to now (including here) have not necessarily reflected those subtleties and they have tended to focus on mortality rates.

Spotted this in the popbitch newsletter though, very daft punk...

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/04/29/ppe-suit-production-club-micrashell-coronavirus-design/

Edited by clarkete

10 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I see you're point and you make it well, however unfortunately the people who have publicly made comparisons up to now (including here) have not necessarily reflected those subtleties and they have tended to focus on mortality rates.

Spotted this in the popbitch newsletter though, very daft punk...

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/04/29/ppe-suit-production-club-micrashell-coronavirus-design/

Yeah I’m not in any way suggesting they’re the same right now.

One thing I would say is that there are about 5m severe cases of flu every year, and between 300-600k deaths globally, every single year. About three times per century on average there are severe flu pandemics that cause millions of deaths, and the potential for another serious flu pandemic remains a material threat at all times.

I’d probably stick my neck on the line and say flu will be the bigger more consistent long term threat to the human race, even if it isn’t right at this moment.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

One thing I would say is that there are about 5m severe cases of flu every year, and between 300-600k deaths globally, every single year. About three times per century on average there are severe flu pandemics that cause millions of deaths, and the potential for another serious flu pandemic remains a material threat at all times.

I’d probably stick my neck on the line and say flu will be the bigger more consistent long term threat to the human race, even if it isn’t right at this moment.

yes, compassion and morailty aside, even if not everyone gets corod this year, or if a vaccine isn't available, if cases going forward end up being a reasonably predicatable amount, then in the UK at least, I guess the health service can prepare for it in the same way the 'winter flu' season is covered. The current Pandemic is just that -  a mad rush of cases nobody expected, so we were very unprepared to say the least. I'm not the least bit involved in the health service, so all that ^ may be woefully innacurate, but it is my take on things.

37 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There are some significant differences of course which have all fed into the current awful situation:-
Flu tends to recede seasonally
The death rate for Covid has been higher
The rate of transmission for Covid has been higher
There isn't currently any known immunity to it (or rather if there is nobody yet knows the patterns)
Not yet any antivirals or vaccines
The proportion of the population who have been tested around the world remains tiny

Unfortunately it's everyone's neck on the line to some degree 😢