What would you do if mass events were allowed without a vaccine?

zahidf

What would do if mass events are allowed without a vaccine?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go to a gig/sports event/festival if mass gatherings are allowed without a vaccine?

• Yup first in line
    • I'd only do it if it was something unique
    • Zero chance.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry if this isn’t the answer you want but mass gatherings won’t be allowed to happen until they know for a fact they are safe / won’t garner any controversy.

If a gathering is going ahead, things are probably fine.

I suspect you're seeing the world a little too much in black and white.

12 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

It's happened in China the past two weekends: clubs have re-opened, using temperature tests and the digital tracking methods they have to determine it's only people in good health attending. Setting aside any Sinophobic fears of control with the tracking, it's a model I hope we can sort out in time for 2021.

I don't think the UK is anywhere near this stage yet, and I think our potential to fumble a progressive step like this is massive.

I sat in on a meeting on Friday where my work mooted the possibility of getting temperature checking technology for office spaces for those who either decide to come into the work or have to come into work. It’s very dystopian.

Obviously it's a different  question as to whether stuff would be opened up without a vaccine. I'm just interested if people on the forum would be interested in going to stuff if the option was there without a vaccine

From a forum where I asked a similar question

'Colleyville, a city in Texas about 15 miles from me, opened patio dining and people were waiting for hours, so yeah I’m sure they would.'

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

If it were Glastonbury 2021, I'd take the risk, do sensible/possible precautions, and restrict myself to quieter areas and times. I'd still rather do a limited Glastonbury than not go. 

If it were any other event, the answer is no.

That probably sums up my thinking. It might not be logical but it’s how I feel. I view Glastonbury as unique!

I reckon however the decision will not be in our hands.  

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

If it were Glastonbury 2021, I'd take the risk, do sensible/possible precautions, and restrict myself to quieter areas and times. I'd still rather do a limited Glastonbury than not go. 

If it were any other event, the answer is no.

If I was going to go to Glastonbury, I would just go to Glastonbury. I don't think that realistically speaking there's much opportunity to significantly reduce your risk.

If it was anywhere near as stressful as going to the park or the supermarket is at the moment, I would just give it a miss. You can't spend five days of the greatest party on earth trying to avoid getting an airborne virus. Sounds horrific.

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I clicked the second one down ...I count Glastonbury as unique though .... in terms of it being different every time I go(obviously in a good way )  ....id be there if I could choose ... but I won't be able to realistically 

I’ve said this before, Great minds think alike! 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see all manner of PPE at the next festival, even if we're all vaccinated and it's fancy dress.

ive already got my Coronavirus message programmed on my backpack in readiness :) .... Theres some decent t-shirt designs that could come from this ... 

As a young healthy person who lives alone, with no family nearby, I wouldnt hesitate going to anything right now. My personal risk is low and the chance of me spreading it to anyone at risk is also low. 

At some point the not living is worse than the dying to me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I asked this question in the other thread regarding Football and perhaps understandably nobody could really give an answer. It’s very possible corona becomes endemic and therefore never goes away, in that scenario at what point is ‘safe’?

Are people planning to wait it out and see if a vaccine helps to wipe it out, and if not review then? If it becomes an ongoing part of life then what? Never go to pubs/restaurants and gigs and festivals again?

Personally at 38 I’ve got a relatively finite amount of years left on this earth. I don’t know why were here, nobody does, but I don’t just want to go through the motions and just exist for the rest of my life. From a personal perspective if I haven’t had corona already I’m certainly not worried about getting it, and if in the very unlikely event it killed me that would be far more preferable to the alternative of trying to avoid that. Now I’ve also got vulnerable relatives, and managing the risk of passing anything on to them is a completely separate issue and something for me and my family to manage between us.

I appreciate why the measures are in place now and fully support them, but they’re short term measures and not sustainable for any meaningful length of time. As and when gigs and festivals are allowed again I honestly will not give attending a second thought,  vaccine or no vaccine. 

The fact that 60% say they would be first in line I honestly find appalling. The UK as a whole has a shocking attitude, people are not sticking to lockdown rules and deaths by the day are not dropping! I just think it's appalling that 60% of UK citizens would rush straight to a festival when the chance of an outbreak happening and it getting spread to vulnerable people who may die is so high.

I won't be going to any mass events this year. I will go back next year but nothing this year. I personally think the UKs efforts have been shocking and the fact that cloth masks still aren't essential on public transport and in supermarkets baffles me. My bets is that the UK will be the worst country affected by this pandemic in Europe. Too many people are having a selfish attitude. We need to work together like in other countries and think about other people before our own priorities.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, MetaKate said:

As a young healthy person who lives alone, with no family nearby, I wouldnt hesitate going to anything right now. My personal risk is low and the chance of me spreading it to anyone at risk is also low. 

At some point the not living is worse than the dying to me. 

Sorry to break it to you but just because you don't live with a vulnerable, doesn't mean you can't spread it to one. For this to make any sense you would have to take part in an enforced 2 week quarantine prior and after the event and be tested on the way into the event in order to ensure you are not carrying the virus.

You could pick up the virus at the event, become an asymptomatic carrier and then go and have a coffee with your best friend a week later. You could pass them the virus who could then pass it to their mum. Their mum ends up in the ICU and then dies from the virus. Your best friends mum has just died due to your own irresponsible actions.

It's not as simple as it seems and there's a reason mass events will be banned for the foreseeable future. If even one person turns up to the event infected, they could spread it to tens or hundreds of others, who could then pass it back into the community and then the vulnerable residents will once again be at risk.

Every action has a consequence and in this case, going to a mass event would cost someone elses life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Sorry to break it to you but just because you don't live with a vulnerable, doesn't mean you can't spread it to one. For this to make any sense you would have to take part in an enforced 2 week quarantine prior and after the event and be tested on the way into the event in order to ensure you are not carrying the virus.

You could pick up the virus at the event, become an asymptomatic carrier and then go and have a coffee with your best friend a week later. You could pass them the virus who could then pass it to their mum. Their mum ends up in the ICU and then dies from the virus. Your best friends mum has just died due to your own irresponsible actions.

It's not as simple as it seems and there's a reason mass events will be banned for the foreseeable future. If even one person turns up to the event infected, they could spread it to tens or hundreds of others, who could then pass it back into the community and then the vulnerable residents will once again be at risk.

Every action has a consequence and in this case, going to a mass event would cost someone elses life.

Sorry to break it to you, but my best friend also has no family in the area. I am fully aware of how contagion works. By your assessment I am just as likely to be responsible for someone else's life by getting groceries. If they're holding mass gatherings we are clearly going to be beyond the point where a 2 week quarentine is necessary.

I'm not the one in control of whether mass events are happening or not, and I am 100% following quarentine rules. 

This is also a HYPOTHETICAL thread about your own personal risk if a mass gathering was ALLOWED. No one is talking about going to secret illegal very fun sounding underground raves. 

But I am not going to wait inside for a vaccine if life has resumed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 14
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Sorry to break it to you, but my best friend also has no family in the area. I am fully aware of how contagion works. By your assessment I am just as likely to be responsible for someone else's life by getting groceries. If they're holding mass gatherings we are clearly going to be beyond the point where a 2 week quarentine is necessary.

I'm not the one in control of whether mass events are happening or not, and I am 100% following quarentine rules. 

This is also a HYPOTHETICAL thread about your own personal risk if a mass gathering was ALLOWED. No one is talking about going to secret illegal very fun sounding underground raves. 

But I am not going to wait inside for a vaccine if life has resumed. 

I was going to put Together a much poorly worded response.  But what @MetaKatehas said sums up my feelings. 

8 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

The fact that 60% say they would be first in line I honestly find appalling. The UK as a whole has a shocking attitude, people are not sticking to lockdown rules and deaths by the day are not dropping! I just think it's appalling that 60% of UK citizens would rush straight to a festival when the chance of an outbreak happening and it getting spread to vulnerable people who may die is so high.

I won't be going to any mass events this year. I will go back next year but nothing this year. I personally think the UKs efforts have been shocking and the fact that cloth masks still aren't essential on public transport and in supermarkets baffles me. My bets is that the UK will be the worst country affected by this pandemic in Europe. Too many people are having a selfish attitude. We need to work together like in other countries and think about other people before our own priorities.

Do you avoid gigs and events in winter in case you spread flu to somebody vulnerable?

And if next year we still don’t have a vaccine, Or if we do but it becomes endemic and immunity only lasts a short time, will you care less about spreading it or vulnerable people then, or will you avoid gigs forever?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

11 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Personally at 38 I’ve got a relatively finite amount of years left on this earth. I don’t know why were here, nobody does, but I don’t just want to go through the motions and just exist for the rest of my life. From a personal perspective if I haven’t had corona already I’m certainly not worried about getting it, and if in the very unlikely event it killed me that would be far more preferable to the alternative of trying to avoid that. Now I’ve also got vulnerable relatives, and managing the risk of passing anything on to them is a completely separate issue and something for me and my family to manage between us.

It's not a completely separate issue though. Presumably your vulnerable relatives interact with other people? Carers, doctors or such? Some of those people may be 38 and have a finite amount of years left and also want to go to festivals. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

It's not a completely separate issue though. Presumably your vulnerable relatives interact with other people? Carers, doctors or such? Some of those people may be 38 and have a finite amount of years left and also want to go to festivals. 

They’re vulnerable as in age and my dad has had a number of heart issues. They’re self isolating and not going out because they can and don’t need to. They’re not so vulnerable that they need doctors/carers etc, probability wise they’re just at a greater risk from it than the average, but like everyone, that risk is not so high it’s a death sentence if they get it.

As and when festivals etc are allowed I personally will not give a second thought about attending, vaccine or no vaccine. I work in London so I will face a greater risk of catching it (if I haven’t already) through that than any other activity. I will therefore automatically have to be responsible about how I interact with my parents. There will be a chance I could have it and be asymptomatic at any point so I may have to make the choice to not see them full stop.

Going to gigs and festivals will make no difference to this because the risk will be constant through living daily life, with or without them. So from a personal perspective I won’t care about the risk to myself.

I fully agree with a short term sacrifice, but it won’t affect my behaviour at all longer term. There are plenty of risks we face day in day out that we live alongside without thinking about. Since human history began plenty of nasty new things have come along, but life expectancy has consistently increased throughout that time, and these nasty things have never curbed our ability or desire to do the things we want to do indefinitely.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

17 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If I was going to go to Glastonbury, I would just go to Glastonbury. I don't think that realistically speaking there's much opportunity to significantly reduce your risk.

If it was anywhere near as stressful as going to the park or the supermarket is at the moment, I would just give it a miss. You can't spend five days of the greatest party on earth trying to avoid getting an airborne virus. Sounds horrific.

I’m surprised you find the supermarkets stressful, the ones near us have done a fantastic job at mitigating risk. 

But, if Glastonbury 2021 goes ahead, the doubt being a vaccine produced that quickly, there will certainly be controls and changes put in place to reduce the risk. So I am concerned we will all have to adapt whether we like it or not.

6 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’m surprised you find the supermarkets stressful, the ones near us have done a fantastic job at mitigating risk. 

But, if Glastonbury 2021 goes ahead, the doubt being a vaccine produced that quickly, there will certainly be controls and changes put in place to reduce the risk. So I am concerned we will all have to adapt whether we like it or not.

Hard to know how I'll feel closer to the time, but I'd rather wait until 2022 if we have to social distance at Glastonbury.  The whole idea seems ridiculous to be honest.