Glasto random hero’s

Brock Landers

Obviously we’re in a very stressful and difficult time right now. For all of the anxiety and fear that’s going on we’re hearing stories of amazing decency and generosity and assistance. Weirdly a lot of it reminds me of Glasto and the spirit of togetherness that exists every time with peeps living together, getting along and looking after each other regardless. 

Feel free to post any story’s about any random Glasto hero’s whether it’s an amazing performance or some random legend who managed (with great directions) to get you back from Block 9 to your campsite. To the hero’s 

Glastonbury '17 was touch and go as to whether I would actually make it - there was a lot going on in my life - but my wife convinced me to go despite being pregnant (with difficult circumstances which are known on here!). 

My phone ran out of battery on the Saturday night/Sunday morning (and I couldn't find my charger) and I had a huge bout of panic. This group of girls must have heard me talking to my group and they gave me two chargers to get my phone back on. 

It was only a little act of kindness,  but it meant a lot! 

Our very own @kalifire certainly qualifies in my book. A few years ago (2015?) a fairly young (and diabetic?) poster went to Glastonbury for the first time, and on their own.

It was all a bit difficult and overwhelming, and a few of us has some supportive words, but our man Kali cancelled his plans, walked across the site and turned up in person. I think he helped carry some stuff too?

Despite not remembering that many details, it's stuck in my head as the kindest, most "glasto spirit" thing I've ever read on these boards.

Bravo.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Kindness -> kindest
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Our very own @kalifire certainly qualifies in my book. A few years ago (2015?) a fairly young (and diabetic?) poster went to Glastonbury for the first time, and on their own.

It was all a bit difficult and overwhelming, and a few of us has some supportive words, but our man Kali cancelled his plans, walked across the site and turned up in person. I think he helped carry some stuff too?

Despite not remembering that many details, it's stuck in my head as the kindness, most "glasto spirit" thing I've ever read on these boards.

Bravo.

I remember it well. The fella ended up going home anyway the next morning. Perhaps meeting me was what finished him off.

Despite not remembering that many details, it's stuck in my head as the kindness, most "glasto spirit" thing I've ever read on these boards.

Bravo.

Was about to post the same story, Stu. 

31 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I remember it well. The fella ended up going home anyway the next morning. Perhaps meeting me was what finished him off.

Too modest Kali. That was a great thing you did. I was arriving late that year and was following the story of your selflessness on here. Bravo indeed. 

Bravo.

Was this when he was posting on here saying she might go home?

Incredible that was, brought a tear to the eye.

Edited by Stokesy10

Coldplay 2016 - I was on me own as everyone in my group had gone to LCD.

I wasn’t necessarily unhappy to be be there on my own, quite happy in my own company for a while!   But a group of about six Welsh lads & lasses, all happily sloshed, adopted me, arms round for the singalongs, and their positive spirit matches the colours and lasers and big songs. 

They were lovely to me and I told ‘em that at the end, and that’s one of the very best shows I’ve ever been to as a result!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

In 2009 we were walking along the metal walkway trying to stay out of some epic mud. My then 8 year old son started sliding off the edge and I couldn't reach him. 3 guys caught him before he fell - first of many examples of true Glasto spirit that year. Unfortunately it was a rather wasted effort, as half an hour later my son tripped over a guy rope and face planted in the mud. He spent much of the afternoon looking like morph.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

In 2009 we were walking along the metal walkway trying to stay out of some epic mud. My then 8 year old son started sliding off the edge and I couldn't reach him. 3 guys caught him before he fell - first of many examples of true Glasto spirit that year. Unfortunately it was a rather wasted effort, as half an hour later my son tripped over a guy rope and face planted in the mud. He spent much of the afternoon looking like morph.

🤣🤣🤣  Lovely image - I think my 9 year old son would have been the same

I can't remember the year but it was about 15-20 years ago I had been planning to go with my daughters but at the last minute for various reasons neither of them was able to make it.  So I went solo.  There I was, struggling to push all my belongings in a wheel barrow up a hill looking like a displaced refugee while an encampment of women watched with mild amusement.  As I drew alongside them they said: "I'd quit while you're ahead mate."  So I halted.  They helped my put up my tent as part of their encampment, made me a cup of coffee and gave me a bite to eat.  After that we became really good mates and I became an honourary woman for the rest of my time with them.

It was a lovely act of kindness that really made me feel welcome and encapsulated the Glastonbury spirit.

In return, a couple of years on in the year of the great washout I was camping with mates in Big Ground.  After the deluge finished loads of bedraggled people, who'd lost everything, came up the hill past our encampment all intending to leave.  One young couple paused for breath as they passed us. They explained they'd lost their tent, their clothes, credit cards, phones and money and were heading home.

Our group had a quick chat, rearranged our accommodation to make them some space and we managed to offer them a tent.  We took them in, fed and watered them and had a whip round to give them some spending money.  They were then able to remain and enjoy the rest of the festival.  And when they got home they sent us back all the money we had lent them.

Last one, and I still don't know who the hero was, on my final day a few years back I lost my digital camera with all my glasto pix on it.  So I went up to Lost Property and reported it missing and filled in a form, not expecting to ever see it again.  Three days after the festival end my camera arrived in the post from GFL with a compliments slip.  There was no information on who had handed it in.  But whoever it was was a hero in my book.  They could have quietly pocketed it and gone home with a decent camera.  But they bothered to take it to Lost Property and hand it in.

What goes round comes round.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Care to comment @morph100:lol:

The lovely lovely lovely lady who kept an eye on me while I had to have a 15 minute "lie down" after Charlatans opened up the Other in 2015.  Aside from checking on me and offering me some water, she wasn't the least perturbed that her kids were chasing each other around and using the sweating Caspar the Friendly Ghost lookalike on the floor as an obstacle / hurdle.

The group of lads on the Wed afternoon in 2017 who spotted the kids playing zorb football in the T&C Fields, split themselves into two teams, and cheered on said kids like they were playing the FA Cup final.

The random dude passing by in 2017 who spotted that I wasn't looking particularly cheerful and just came up and offered me a hug, then wandered off again. Cheered me right pu.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

The random dude passing by in 2017 who spotted that I wasn't looking particularly cheerful and just came up and offered me a hug, then wandered off again. Cheered me right pu.

That reminds me of the moment I was watching Joan Baez in the Acoustic and was in floods of tears as she sang 'There but for Fortune.'  A guy next to me out his arm round my shoulder and asked: "Are you alright mate?"  To which I could only reply: "Yes, I'm fine thanks.  It's just so beautiful."

I love the way people look out for each other at Glastonbury.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, GlastoEls said:

Coldplay 2016 - I was on me own as everyone in my group had gone to LCD.

I wasn’t necessarily unhappy to be be there on my own, quite happy in my own company for a while!   But a group of about six Welsh lads & lasses, all happily sloshed, adopted me, arms round for the singalongs, and their positive spirit matches the colours and lasers and big songs. 

They were lovely to me and I told ‘em that at the end, and that’s one of the very best shows I’ve ever been to as a result!

Possibly the same Welsh crowd that adopted me during Springsteen in 2009.... i have never been a great fan of the boss but it turned into a memorable night of drinking, singing and laughing...

All hail the Welsh bonhomie.!

• Like 1

I got very lucky on the Wednesday night of 2017, I was wondering around and enjoying a few beers on my own. As the sun was setting I decided to have a lay down by the Pyramid stage after about 30 minutes I fancied another drink so I get up and as I start walking towards the beat hotel I hear someone calling me and it was this gentleman who I've never seen before asking me to describe my wallet to him (so he could be sure it was mine). Well after that he handed it back to me and I was so lucky because it had everything in there my id, card and about £300 for the weekend. I offered him a pint but he said a handshake is plenty enough. If you are out there and reading this thank you so much! 

• Upvote 1

Back on 2005  me and my friend were going home Monday morning, got to the car and the battery is as flat as a Dodo. We didn't have any jump leads in the car to over the next 2 hours asked everyone that passed if they could jump start my car, but nobody could.

So  we are both sitting on the wing with the bonnet open looking dejected when a young lad in a small car (Citroen AX possibly) stopped and asked if we needed a jump. He had 4 or 5 people in the car and the thing was packed to the rafters, he unloaded all the stuff from the boot to get the jump leads and jump started my car! Really did save us that day.

From that day forward I have always kept a set of jump leads in my car, and also never bought a French car again!

What a great thread, I MISS GLASTONBURY!!!

I actually can't pinpoint one particular moment for me, but that feeling is just always there isn't it? It's almost like everyone knows how special the place is, and so you try and pass that feeling of belonging and shared experience to the stranger next to you in the crowd, or in the queue at the bar, or in the tent a few metres away.