Jump to content
feral chile

Virtual Brave New World

Recommended Posts

I've seen that some local festivals are putting on virtual events because of Covid-19.

It got me thinking what a brilliant idea this would be for people unable to attend events in person, unable to get tickets, physical constraints, etc.

One of the worst things for me since my diagnosis in 2017 was how it affected my energy levels/social life. I was a hyper party animal/music head who couldn't keep still, transformed into a dimwitted half alive person struggling to find energy to keep awake. It was hard enough trying to hold down a job and visit family.

For me, this virtual connection we're all adjusting to has actually opened up my world, I'm sure there are thousands like me who feel unable to attend events in a "normal" year. I can work from home, which is a lot easier.

Do people think we'll be able to look forward to a more virtual world in future?

When this horrible pandemic is under control, is there a chance that virtual socialising will become the new normal?

I'm thinking something that feels more participatory than watching on TV.

 

Edited by feral chile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a virtual socialising thing recently, but only the once. I dare say that I may do it again, but not often. It was good to connect with people that way because the people were scattered about the UK, and wouldn't normally have 'connected' under such circumstances, had it not been for the virus. 

For me, I doubt that it will take off as the norm. However, who knows what lies in store for future generations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've done a virtual socialising thing recently, but only the once. I dare say that I may do it again, but not often. It was good to connect with people that way because the people were scattered about the UK, and wouldn't normally have 'connected' under such circumstances, had it not been for the virus. 

For me, I doubt that it will take off as the norm. However, who knows what lies in store for future generations.

I'm having to do loads of virtual meetings, and I know Merthyr Rising is doing a virtual festival this year.

I don't tend to watch Live Broadcasts, or televised events, passive watching live is pointless unless it's interactive in some way.

Still, I'm missing my festivals, and I'm wondering if there's a way for festivals to be more inclusive for those through disability or circumstance, to attend virtually if they can't attend in person.

Too complicated or open to abuse I suppose.

Virtual crowd chants:

"Oh, Keir Starmer"

Silent disco in your living room.

Free virtual hugs.

 

Edited by feral chile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, feral chile said:

I'm having to do loads of virtual meetings, and I know Merthyr Rising is doing a virtual festival this year.

I don't tend to watch Live Broadcasts, or televised events, passive watching live is pointless unless it's interactive in some way.

Still, I'm missing my festivals, and I'm wondering if there's a way for festivals to be more inclusive for those through disability or circumstance, to attend virtually if they can't attend in person.

Too complicated or open to abuse I suppose.

Virtual crowd chants:

"Oh, Keir Starmer"

Silent disco in your living room.

Free virtual hugs.

 

It's nice to meet up with real people though, and have a laugh. I'd take that over the virtual version anyday.

Yes, the irony of my post on here doesn't escape me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It's nice to meet up with real people though, and have a laugh. I'd take that over the virtual version anyday.

Yes, the irony of my post on here doesn't escape me!

Yeah was thinking of next best option if you can't go, tickets sold out etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Yeah was thinking of next best option if you can't go, tickets sold out etc.

Don't providers and people already do that though? I mean, technically the BBC is a virtual provider, and it has extensive coverage of Glastonbury, and other events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Don't providers and people already do that though? I mean, technically the BBC is a virtual provider, and it has extensive coverage of Glastonbury, and other events.

I was thinking of ways they could make it less passive viewing. I never like watching festivals or gigs on TV, there's no energy.

I'll have to see what they do for Merthyr Rising. I only lasted 10 minutes there, I couldn't walk. I had an undiagnosed DVT in my leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...