Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

Let's face it...it's better to cancel again than to force ticketholders to "some kind of festival"  experience.  Nevermind the local ones, but for someone who wants to travel more than 1000 km it DOES matter what you gest for a full ticket price.

As I've said before, this place is sacred to me because of the freedom experience. I want it to stay this way therefore I'm waiting patiently for 2022 edition. 

• Like 2

In Norway, festivals has now been told to plan as normal, and if they end up having to cancel, the government will compensate most of the costs. Kind of strange really, since the Astra Zeneca vaccine is delayed (if approved at all), but a good decision for the festival organizers that will get some predictability. 

14 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

In Norway, festivals has now been told to plan as normal, and if they end up having to cancel, the government will compensate most of the costs. Kind of strange really, since the Astra Zeneca vaccine is delayed (if approved at all), but a good decision for the festival organizers that will get some predictability. 

Do you have a link for this information? Thanks!! 

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Encouraging.

Though I see the Norwegian minister does say he doesn't know whether "200 people, 1000 or 5000 people" will be possible at Summer events, so doesn't sound like he is envisaging anything on a truly large scale. 

Yes, that it correct, and I'm not very positive myself. On the other hand they say that about everything to not promise anything or to be held accountable. 

At the same time it is encouraging that they actually want them to continue planning and keep the hope up, rather than just cancelling everything. They are also in dialouge about holding trial concerts (like Primavera) and a set of guidelines that can be acceptable (like rapid testing, vaccination certificates etc). Given that the vaccine is effective for current and upcoming mutations, my guess is that there will be some festivals (maybe in a smaller scale) towards the end of the summer. However for a small country like Norway, they can't do much about international artists if they cancel in the rest of Europe, so I expect it to end up being mainly local/Scandinavian artists. What has been stated earlier, is that festivals may take place if everyone in the risk groups are vaccinated, and with the recent delays that is estimated to be around June.

13 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

Yes, that it correct, and I'm not very positive myself. On the other hand they say that about everything to not promise anything or to be held accountable. 

At the same time it is encouraging that they actually want them to continue planning and keep the hope up, rather than just cancelling everything. They are also in dialouge about holding trial concerts (like Primavera) and a set of guidelines that can be acceptable (like rapid testing, vaccination certificates etc). Given that the vaccine is effective for current and upcoming mutations, my guess is that there will be some festivals (maybe in a smaller scale) towards the end of the summer. However for a small country like Norway, they can't do much about international artists if they cancel in the rest of Europe, so I expect it to end up being mainly local/Scandinavian artists. What has been stated earlier, is that festivals may take place if everyone in the risk groups are vaccinated, and with the recent delays that is estimated to be around June.

Yeah, encouraging is the right word.

They could have given up but they haven't and without the insurance they probably would have no choice.

I think September is more likely for bigger festivals but even then not of Werchter's size probably and not with all international acts.

But I'd be confident of e.g. <10,000 person festivals. 

8 hours ago, tmolvik said:

If they'll be able to do Oya in Norway + Flow in Finland + WOW in Sweden, which are planned to be in the same August weekend, I think they'll have the power to book some international artists.

I'm not very optimistic but who knows, things are changing fast...

4 minutes ago, heti said:

The only "bubbles" at a festival I can accept is Biffy Clyro performing their 2009 hit

I remember getting my phone stolen during Biffy at werchter 2013, what a great day that was for the barn though. Biffy even go the crowd jumping up and down at werchter, which is a result in itself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gigi21 said:

Faith No More in Milan 6th July officially canceled by Live Nation Italia this morning.

Refund request opened from now til 5th March.

I think it was scheduled for 6 July 2020, and they failed to provide a new date for 2021, despite FNM having some dates for this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

Today this news came out about Holland:

"The Dutch government has announced that it is working to allow music festivals to take place from 1 July, even in the context of the 19-covid pandemic, with test events scheduled for next month."

Some Dutch July festivals have already been moved to September.

It doesn't matter if there is government guarantee funding in place, July is impossible for large festivals. 

Perhaps later in the year is possible.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:36 PM, xxialac said:

Some Dutch July festivals have already been moved to September.

It doesn't matter if there is government guarantee funding in place, July is impossible for large festivals. 

Perhaps later in the year is possible.

Have it on good authority that the festival grounds of Best Kept Secret have been booked for the 2nd weekend of September. Be interesting to see what the line ups will be for the festivals in Sep and maybe Oct.