Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

12 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Werchter is doing everything to go on this summer. Logistic a far more easy festival to organise, but everything is depending on the artists. 

To give some well deserved clarity. Metallica is the Friday headliner. This was already on the table before the cancel of 2020. SOAD was moving to the Graspop Friday, that is why Graspop could not announce SOAD earlier. They had to announce Metallica first. But I have my doubts the SOAD tour will be still on, they have their focus on early June, and that is too early for festivals to going trough. 

Thanks for the insight @Ken19. I still don‘t see how Werchter will go ahead, if others don‘t. I doubt bands would play only a handful of shows spread over weeks and all across Europe.

So is there a common approach?

Edited by Karlos12345

I dont agree that it has anything to do with artists, or promoters, or whatever. Its only governments, cities. Its absolutely the same if Metallica or Beyonce thinks this or that, IF any country bans large gathering and doesnt allow for events / festivals of 50,000 to go ahead, no matter what any promoter or artist thinks, it will not happen. And at this point, c mon guys really, there is no country in EU that will allow this June / July any events of 40-70k people, at one place, without any distancing, masks etc.

Just very hard to image that.

1 minute ago, Andrej said:

I dont agree that it has anything to do with artists, or promoters, or whatever. Its only governments, cities. Its absolutely the same if Metallica or Beyonce thinks this or that, IF any country bans large gathering and doesnt allow for events / festivals of 50,000 to go ahead, no matter what any promoter or artist thinks, it will not happen. And at this point, c mon guys really, there is no country in EU that will allow this June / July any events of 40-70k people, at one place, without any distancing, masks etc.

Maybe I have to be more clear. Off course the governments have the final decision. But if the headliners are falling apart, I don't think Werchter will go on next summer. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Maybe I have to be more clear. Off course the governments have the final decision. But if the headliners are falling apart, I don't think Werchter will go on next summer. 

So we already know that PJ are probably out. Any other names made such a decision as well ?

1 hour ago, heti said:

Was the plan to ditch The Strokes due to poor ticket sales or were they supposed to sub ?

I don’t know what the plan is with The Strokes. I put my bets on 2022. They just can not cancel that contract. It’s too expensive. For every contract there has to be a solution. 

13 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

I don’t know what the plan is with The Strokes. I put my bets on 2022. They just can not cancel that contract. It’s too expensive. For every contract there has to be a solution. 

That's understandable. But if Metallica were the plan for 2020 AND for 2021 then The Strokes would be only Friday sub (and they weren't announced in a way a sub would be....quite the opposite). Also, that 2020 Friday would be a fucked up day with Lewis Capaldi , Liam Gallagher and Julian before James & Co.  Not the day for a typical 'Tallica fan (I'd take that in a heartbeat besides Lewis but I'm on minority)

I gave my hopes up for 2021 edition, I don't want a festival with restrictions, dilemmas whether I can travel to Belgium without 10-day quarantine hiatus. I don't want to wear this fuckin' mask anytime anywhere and I want a TOP line-up, not the bands that have a knife on their throats.   

I wanna feel just as I felt here the years before...FREE. 

And if Coldplay would be available for 2022 edition I'd be overjoyed 🙂

1 hour ago, Andrej said:

June might come to early, maybe July too, but in i.e Denmark where Roskilde is due, they expect to have all those over 18 vaccinated by mid-June. Norway expect the same. I can't say for other countries but there are stil 5-6 months to go and both technology and testing improves as well. I think there are two main questions that will decide this;

1. Is the vaccine as effective as anticipated, and if so, does it prevent spread as well as sickness. If it prevents spread it's a game changer although that's very uncertain.

2. How long can the promoters/bands/organizers wait until they need to make a decision. I don't think you'll get any government to make any promises for months still (maybe around Easter if lucky), and then it will probably be too late. If anyone starts pulling the plug, then the domino effect will come in play quickly.

I still think there is a below 50% chance of anything happening this year, but it looks slightly better for the ones in august. However a lot can happen in a couple of months, so you never know. There is much more knowledge of the virus now and technology also develops rapidly. It's also important to keep in mind that one of the main reasons behind the restrictions is to prevent the most vulnerable and to make sure that the health capacity doesn't kneel. If those in the high risk group are vaccinated, a lot of restrictions can be lifted, even though it's a disease that also can affect younger people. I still choose to cross my fingers 🙂 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, heti said:

That's understandable. But if Metallica were the plan for 2020 AND for 2021 then The Strokes would be only Friday sub (and they weren't announced in a way a sub would be....quite the opposite). Also, that 2020 Friday would be a fucked up day with Lewis Capaldi , Liam Gallagher and Julian before James & Co.  Not the day for a typical 'Tallica fan (I'd take that in a heartbeat besides Lewis but I'm on minority)

I gave my hopes up for 2021 edition, I don't want a festival with restrictions, dilemmas whether I can travel to Belgium without 10-day quarantine hiatus. I don't want to wear this fuckin' mask anytime anywhere and I want a TOP line-up, not the bands that have a knife on their throats.   

I wanna feel just as I felt here the years before...FREE. 

And if Coldplay would be available for 2022 edition I'd be overjoyed 🙂

Metallica was not an option for 2020

3 hours ago, Ken19 said:

Metallica is the Friday headliner. This was already on the table before the cancel of 2020.  Metallica was not an option for 2020

Maybe I misunderstood You. Metallica weren't backup plan for 2020 but main plan for 2021, right ?

2 hours ago, Andrej said:

Uff, thats just extremely strong, just look at the headline trio :: Metallica, RHCP, RATM. Ridiculous.

Long before the edition of 2020 (and cancel), people of the production were already looking forward to 2021. Because of these set of headliners. 

31 minutes ago, thetime said:

You would imagine in the next 4/5 weeks, it will be like a pack of falling cards for cancellations of festivals.

I think they are all just waiting on being able to formally cancel, without having insurance implications. The way Glastonbury handled it was as well as can be. There is no way it will go ahead so better to announce it early. 

Let's hope we still get the Metallica, RHCP, Ratm edition in either 22 or 23!